• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

flavor Who defines added flavors?

My question is simple. That characteristic let each vegetable flavor after fermenting?

In my experience, I have not liked the taste after fermentation of fruits (pineapple, mango, etc) just let apple turned into cider a pleasant taste.

My question is in plants. That brings flavor onion, garlic, carrot, fennel, ginger, etc.

Anyone know how to define that brings flavor to ferment?

My ferment with pineapple have gum latex flavored or something. After a few months old has improved somewhat, but not much. Also improved with added lime.

My ferment with mango and ginger, was something. A strange taste. Although that had an incredible smell before cooking.

Only fruit left a very nice note, was the apple. Do not forget that apple become in cider and that's good.

But pineapple become that??? Same for other fruit. If so true, would exist alcoholic drinks of fruits like cider, but of other fruits.

I think fruits should be added after fermentation. Only when cooking craving a particular flavor.
Not so with added garlic, onion and carrot. They left little trace.  But I have doubts with garlic

Fermented sauces defiantly have a flavor characteristic unto themselves that some people like and some don't.  To me fermenting enhances the flavors of the ingredients without really changing them. I mean a fermented pepper mash to me still has that fresh pepper flavor but a bit more mellowed and I like way the lactic acid enacts with it. I've never noted that the flavor of vegetables, peppers, onion, garlic, etc has ever been changed but I agree that fruits are changed through the fermenting process. Some fruits are better for fermenting than others, for instance I wont ferment a lot of tropical fruits for instance mango, papaya and pineapple just don't do well in a ferment. While a lot of other fruits, most all berries, apples, pears, oranges and such do really well as do raisins. If I want to add some tropical flavors to to a fermented sauce I'll add them during the processing so that their flavors stay true and generally I want their sweetness added to the sauce. JMHO though.

Cheers,
RM

RocketMan said:
Fermented sauces defiantly have a flavor characteristic unto themselves that some people like and some don't.  To me fermenting enhances the flavors of the ingredients without really changing them. I mean a fermented pepper mash to me still has that fresh pepper flavor but a bit more mellowed and I like way the lactic acid enacts with it. I've never noted that the flavor of vegetables, peppers, onion, garlic, etc has ever been changed but I agree that fruits are changed through the fermenting process. Some fruits are better for fermenting than others, for instance I wont ferment a lot of tropical fruits for instance mango, papaya and pineapple just don't do well in a ferment. While a lot of other fruits, most all berries, apples, pears, oranges and such do really well as do raisins. If I want to add some tropical flavors to to a fermented sauce I'll add them during the processing so that their flavors stay true and generally I want their sweetness added to the sauce.
Nailed it....

Back