• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Who Grows Their Hot Sauce Peppers?

[quote name='Tina Brooks][quote=Cap'n Bones']Wow! Mention Jim Campbell's name and everybody wake's up! :oops:[/quote]

Geez, I wonder if his ears are burning?

T[/quote]

:: thinks of funny metal image ::

Muso2112 said:
Not dissing Jim, he's a friend here too. I wuz just sayin'.... I'm guilty of using his product too.

Ummmm, yeah, it's pretty warm. ;-) I have from 1-5 million SHU capsicum and pure capsaicin powder. Can't get much warmer than that. I'm not as famous as Blair. (yet) I'm still trying to get out of the infamous stage. I like the shadows.

Whew! That's good. Jim is a great person. I'm sure you are as well.

I need to try your extract. I've shopped your products many times. Just haven't hit the "buy it now" button. Yet..

Nothing like home grown...

I am an active gardener who loves to grow hot peppers. The ones that seem to do the best where I live are Habs and Cayene. I've been trying to cross a hab with a cayene and am comming close to producing a true breeder. I make a hot pepper relish with my peppers every year and have bottles dating back to 1999. Maybe no big deal to some of you,but, to me and anyone who has been fortunate to try this relish, it is. This relish can be put on anything, even used as a salad dressing, but I like it best on fresh Italian bread with nothing else. I've eaten bottles of it with my friends that way, we love it. Something has to be said for homegrown, if for nothing, I grew them myself. Happy gardening!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to be doing my own hot sauces, powders, BBQ sauces, and chip dip this year from my own pepper garden. Lots of sauces this year because I've got so many different peppers to work with.

Last year I did a hot sauce and three different kinds of powders.

I'm interested in growing my own peppers, but nobody here in Florida it seems has the seeds...at least i haven't found a good local reliable source yet.

Sickmont said:
I'm interested in growing my own peppers, but nobody here in Florida it seems has the seeds...at least i haven't found a good local reliable source yet.
??? Did you try a local plant store(not Home Depot or grocery store)?

Sickmont said:

A lot of our readers have nodded assent to Reimers although, there seems to be a consensus of about 25% "surprise seeds" to some of their seed packets.

T

Tina Brooks said:
A lot of our readers have nodded assent to Reimers although, there seems to be a consensus of about 25% "surprise seeds" to some of their seed packets.
T

I'm here to tellya Reimer's seed sucks the pump in my opinion......

Much bad experienmce, much nasty, stupid, patronizing response from the seller.

I make my hot sauce from over 50 chile varieties that I grow in my garden. So far I am only making small batches for gifts and small sales until I have enough feedback and money to proceed larger. I get most of my seeds from Reimers and have been fairly happy. This year however, several varieties (many quite rare) would not germinate for me no matter what I did. I have been getting some free seeds from them for sending pictures of previous years plants but their lack of response to questions and feedback is annoying. Here is a question I sent them (no response) that I still need an answer to.

"Your web site (Reimer's) advertises the indian pc-1 hot pepper as a Capsicum annuum while I have read elsewhere that it is a C. frutescens. I'd like to know for sure. Can you help me?"

They do advertise the Indian PC-2 as a frutescens

Hot Potawie
Derek

POTAWIE said:
"Your web site (Reimer's) advertises the indian pc-1 hot pepper as a Capsicum annuum while I have read elsewhere that it is a C. frutescens. I'd like to know for sure. Can you help me?"

The Idian P-C1(not pc-1) is in fact a Frutescens. Too bad you never heard back from them. They sould send you free seeds for finding that mistake. ;)

I am of the opinion that most of what you read about peppers needs to be taken with an ocean sized grain of salt.

Honestly... whether a cayenne is a frutescens or not is par for the course.

What people say about peppers and capsaicin when it's wrong, is so often plagiarized by people all over the net, that you start to wonder whether or not pure cap really is more than 15,000,000!

T

imaguitargod said:
THAT'S A BIG GRAIN OF SALT!
:shock:

When you have seen as much wrong information disseminated by people who really ought to know better, as I have seen, you'd have so large a grain of salt yourself.

T

Tina Brooks said:
When you have seen as much wrong information disseminated by people who really ought to know better, as I have seen, you'd have so large a grain of salt yourself.

T
Not into salt, just looking for the correct info. Its hard enough keeping my own records straight. As a compulsive chile grower, I spend a lot of time shopping/researching new seeds. I definitely notice a lot of inconcistancies (and spelling errors lol) which makes me have to do my homework sometimes. With forums like this, research is easy. Thanks all.

Tina Brooks said:
Oh trust me Tina, my grain of salt is probably three times the size of yours. (knowing about all the cover-ups and conspiricies and such).

POTAWIE said:
Not into salt, just looking for the correct info.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

POTAWIE said:
With forums like this, research is easy. Thanks all.
No problem, it's what we are here for.

POTAWIE said:
Not into salt, just looking for the correct info. Its hard enough keeping my own records straight. As a compulsive chile grower, I spend a lot of time shopping/researching new seeds. I definitely notice a lot of inconcistancies (and spelling errors lol) which makes me have to do my homework sometimes. With forums like this, research is easy. Thanks all.

Aw shucks... we aim to please. :cool:

T

Back