Whoa is this a kewl toy - Vigoro 3 way meter

Don't know if I really need this, but I had to have one.  :hot:

Was at home Depot the other night and saw this handy dandy gizmo.  It is a probe that is a PH, moisture, and light meter.  Plus, it needs no batteries!   I was running around sticking this in every pot and garden.  LOL....  I am certain it will collect dust, but for less than $8, it is pretty awesome.

Anyways, I never knew these things exsisted, so I am mentioning this here for others.  Especially those that are perplexed as to why their plants are dying.  At least a couple of things can be ruled out.

079.jpg

That's funny I just made a post in regards to my ph being overly high with that exact meter. Really good reading on bothe the moisture and light but my ph is off the chart. How does yours read on your plants??

Hot Mama Bearz said:
Don't know if I really need this, but I had to have one.  :hot:

Was at home Depot the other night and saw this handy dandy gizmo.  It is a probe that is a PH, moisture, and light meter.  Plus, it needs no batteries!   I was running around sticking this in every pot and garden.  LOL....  I am certain it will collect dust, but for less than $8, it is pretty awesome.

Anyways, I never knew these things exsisted, so I am mentioning this here for others.  Especially those that are perplexed as to why their plants are dying.  At least a couple of things can be ruled out.

079.jpg

Those are horribly inaccurate and not a good judge of any one of those. 

bucdout57 said:
That's funny I just made a post in regards to my ph being overly high with that exact meter. Really good reading on bothe the moisture and light but my ph is off the chart. How does yours read on your plants??

Well, I didn't say it worked, just that I had fun with it.  :P    Ok now seriously, I just tried it with vinegar and it bottomed out.  I guess a true test would be with distilled h20, but I have none open right this moment,.  But when I open a bottle I will let you know,

Now I have plants that have been under grow lights for a year and they are slightly acidic.  But everything else is reading pretty decent in the alkaline direction.  But then again, my soil is acidic and I always spike it with tons of lime.  Now I was doing this in the dark.  Maybe if the rain stops tomorrow, I will check some long standing outside plants that I do nothing to.  Like my day lilies or lily of the valleys.  We get acidic rain but those are next to the house which would leech lime.  Dunno...

D3monic said:

Those are horribly inaccurate and not a good judge of any one of those. 

LOL...  Oh well....  But what I can use it for is to convince my husband that sprinkling the garden for 2 minutes is not enough,  Hopefully it leans towards the dry side.  LOL...    He waters the gardens for me and I am back out there the same day...

But right now mother nature is doing all the watering for me and then some...  :confused:

I do have a good box of scientific PH strips, so I am good to go.

SavinaRed said:
I think for pH you need a sample of the dirt and you need to add water to make it muddy the consistency of a sauce for it to read it properly .

True, though it's important to use distilled water and rest for 30-60 min. Some measure out soil and water by volume or weight in equal parts. I haven't noticed a difference either way.

Back