• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Whoa. WTF is this? Seedling mystery

Moruga seeds purchased from Puckerbutt are starting to emerge from the soil.

They all look like this:

moruga.jpg

Except for this one:

wtf-is-this.jpg

Strange, right? Anyone know what this plant is? It is growing super fast.

Looks like some sort of grass. Did you pop seeds in the soil or did you germ in a paper towel hen once hooks formed, then into soil?

Lovepeppers said:
Looks like some sort of grass. Did you pop seeds in the soil or did you germ in a paper towel hen once hooks formed, then into soil?

I put these particular seeds directly into the soil.

Ok then. I would say your seed or seeds haven't popped in that container yet. Most likely a random weed seed (not canna) in that potting soil.

Lovepeppers said:
Ok then. I would say your seed or seeds haven't popped in that container yet. Most likely a random weed seed (not canna) in that potting soil.

That is pretty wild! Thanks for the help.

Sawyer said:
Looks like some sort of legume to me.  Might be interesting to see what it becomes.

I think you might be right. I just positioned this thing next to a wire, and it's already trying to wrap itself around it.

grover said:

I think you might be right. I just positioned this thing next to a wire, and it's already trying to wrap itself around it.

There's a wild bean that grows around here that I've been encouraging to grow in the peppers.  I'm not certain yet, but I think the vines help support the pepper limbs.

I'm with Sawyer and WaffleBum. It looks like an etiolated hairy vetch seedling (or some other kind of wild legume). Had the plant gotten any supplemental light before you noticed it? If not, lack of light might be causing it to stretch out and look leggy.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Back