Why all the disclaimers and waivers?

Noob questions.

1) Why do some business have their customers sign waivers before they eat The Hottest peppers, or The hottest burritos?

2) Have people had health emergencies after eating hot foods?

3) have they been burnt badly?

4) Have people died?

5) Or is it an addition to the drama?

It's about lawsuits period. You can warn people verbally but sometimes they laugh it off, then they burn, then the sue. ;)

And too add an air of "EXTREME" IMO.

When we did the worlds hottest pie Ron was going to make us sign waivers, we convinced him that we would not sue though.
He sure left his a$$ wide open!

Remember that  you are living  in a country governed indirectly by corporates and directly by assholes  with the help of lawyers.

So be warned and follow the law of the land there. 

Thanks for the replys everyone... (Makes alot of sense).
Started obsessing on the topic and found this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1063598/Aspiring-chef-dies-hours-making-ultra-hot-sauce-chilli-eating-contest.html

Doesn't prove anything though..

If you've seen some of the Man-vs-Food shows, there's one episode where he eats nuclear hot wings and then has to sit for 5 minutes with all the sauce on his face. That kind of sauce can literally burn someone's face and hands leaving them very red and sore. Mr.Macho Customer could get really upset about his mug getting burned, claim disfigurement, etc, etc, you see where it's going........SUE!

And you've probably seen some of the videos of what happens when people eat something too hot. Some guy on a jobsite my husband was working on ate a habanero and started hiccuping so bad he couldn't catch his breath, it was almost like anaphalactic(sp?) shock. He said they literally had the phone in hand ready to call 911 when the guy finally started to come out of it.

It's mainly for those folk out there that think that because they've eaten some mass produced crap that claims to be 'spicy', they can do hot but they don't actually know how hot it can get.
You know the folk "I freaking love hot stuff, thai sweet chilli is one of my favourites"
You know who I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!

It's mainly for those folk out there that think that because they've eaten some mass produced crap that claims to be 'spicy', they can do hot but they don't actually know how hot it can get.
You know the folk "I freaking love hot stuff, thai sweet chilli is one of my favourites"
You know who I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!
I'm still afraid of the extremely hot peppers :shocked: . I'm trying to develop a tolerance to the heat so I can taste those.
Considering all the replys, When I do eat a extremely hot pepper, I'll do it at home i guess. I'd be a little embarrassed burning that bad in public.... :onfire:

Hell top end of the scale can still catch me unawares sometimes!!! My eyes water, nose will start and a sweat appears on the brow and folk don't seem to believe me when I say that I'm fine, mainly because I know the rush that will follow!!

Hell top end of the scale can still catch me unawares sometimes!!! My eyes water, nose will start and a sweat appears on the brow and folk don't seem to believe me when I say that I'm fine, mainly because I know the rush that will follow!!

I'm still afraid of the extremely hot peppers :shocked: . I'm trying to develop a tolerance to the heat so I can taste those.
Considering all the replys, When I do eat a extremely hot pepper, I'll do it at home i guess. I'd be a little embarrassed burning that bad in public.... :onfire:

BD, make sure the camera is rolling when you do your taste testing! We LOOOOVE watching other people suffer... OOPS! I MEAN.....we enjoy watching other people savor the flavor of the peppers.

And yea, the other guy was fine.............after a while.........

BD, make sure the camera is rolling when you do your taste testing! We LOOOOVE watching other people suffer... OOPS! I MEAN.....we enjoy watching other people savor the flavor of the peppers.

And yea, the other guy was fine.............after a while.........

I'm glad he was ok.. About filming myself, Yikes!!!

I have always thought that is why I can't find a restaurant around Seattle with any HEAT! Lawsuits and no respect for this wonderful phenomenon we call "pungent". Thank God I import/grow enough to last all year. The so-called Mexican restaurants are on every corner out here and I have yet to find one that serves hot/spicy food. Someone please prove me wrong. THP you are right, it must be fear of lawsuits.

Back