• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why am I getting Carolina reapers so late?

Codeman said:
Guessing nitrogen lockup.

Absolutely not.  Nitrogen is a vehicle for other nutrients, and when it's deficient or locked out, it looks more like a complete shitting of the bed.  Nothing grows right, it's the wrong color, leaves deformed, etc, etc, etc...

podz said:
I'm guessing it's because you've pulled all of the lower leaves off and only left a top canopy. That works with annuums, but never seen it work with chinense.
Nope never pulled the leaves off. Now when tleaves turned yellow I did as they were going to anyways. Alot of my green leaves did but nothing I could do.

solid7 said:

Not if you get warm temps.  Chinense will take off like a rocket in higher temps and humidity - the kind of weather that will grind many other varieties to a halt. 
I could see Pubes growing faster where you're at, but here, It takes me about 3-4 months to first pod, from a seedling plant out for chinense.  My first Pube took somewhere between 9 months and a year to set the first pod.

I really do believe that regarding chinense and high temps. I won't flap my mouth now as I am sitting outside on my deck drinking wine in 65 degrees weather :-)

Thing is, I am not yet entirely convinced that pubescens can be so narrowly categorised. They are not very well understood by scientists and are mainly promoted by scientists from third-world countries which means that the results of the research grants can easily be influenced. The natural course of acceptance for research papers is peer-review in established scientific journals. Yesterday, I bought an e-book called "His Majesty the Rocoto Pepper" (which I btw recommend if for nothing more than the entire chapter on modern chef's take on Rocoto recipes). This publication's raison d'etetre was to act as a fallback for lack of English-language peer-review as well as lack of any publishers willingness to do a hardcover. Sad, but true. The ebook itself was full of wild, unsubstantiated claims as to why Rocotos will save you from cancer and other evils of mankind but low on scientific fact - although there was some vague stuff. All that said, if you are willing to advance the state of the art then it might be worth considering the purchase of this e-book (again, if for nothing more than the extensive recipe collection).

With the lack of adequately funded scientific study of pubes, no wonder they are so rarely known in the western world. In my experience, Montufar is early and doesn't mind heat. Rojo is late and hates too much heat. Pico Mucho is early but hates everything. So, who knows. Solid7, if you want some pube seeds then just hit me up with a PM and we will get it moving along when they are ready. Didn't mean to rag on your ass too hard in some of my earlier posts, rather you should consider it as constructive feedback while you are in a position of influential knowledge. Take it as you like, bro, and I do appreciate your sharing when it's also considering the experience of others as you have also done the same :-)

Mention that a fruit or vegetable cures, or even somewhat helps, cancer and that information takes off....

Then you get to jack up prices and turn a profit on desperate people like a monster. The title of that book should be "I'm completely fucking terrible."

podz said:
With the lack of adequately funded scientific study of pubes, no wonder they are so rarely known in the western world. In my experience, Montufar is early and doesn't mind heat. Rojo is late and hates too much heat. Pico Mucho is early but hates everything. So, who knows. Solid7, if you want some pube seeds then just hit me up with a PM and we will get it moving along when they are ready. Didn't mean to rag on your ass too hard in some of my earlier posts, rather you should consider it as constructive feedback while you are in a position of influential knowledge. Take it as you like, bro, and I do appreciate your sharing when it's also considering the experience of others as you have also done the same :-)

Believe me, I'd desperately love to be wrong about C. Pubescens, because I've yet to meet a nicer family of peppers.  Why don't you hit me with a PM, and let's continue this discussion?  I will certainly carry on my C. Pubescens experimentation.
Thanks for the feedback, by the way...

solid7 said:

It would actually be, "I'm Completely Fucking Terrible".  
Proper nouns and titles...

Man, you are completely fucking incorrigible! :-)

Once upon a time, an editor wouldn't preserve my double line breaks and I had to enter a dot between each paragraph just to be sure.

But nowadays I do even more stupid shit like taking hostages. To each his own!

Back