• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why are my Hawaiians just bushes?

So, these are the typical hot little devils that grow in the islands. Hand picked them my self from Kaua'i last year and these were great! Now I have 4 plants going and they're just bushes while my myriad of other peppers are producing. Just the Hawaiians refuse to even flower. I span the gamut from 2 different types of Thai, Habaneros (which are freakishly large), Naga Jolokias, Pepperoncinis, Shishitos, Crillo Sella and a couple others....Quite a varied lot wouldn't you say? All have fruit so I'm doing something right...but the Hawaiians refuse to play along. Any ideas? 

Inedible said:
Epsom salt tends to encourage flowering.

Is the Epsom salt & water mix supposed to be sprayed on the leaves? Someone told me to do that and i noticed leftover resin on the leaves 

Roksonic said:
Is the Epsom salt & water mix supposed to be sprayed on the leaves? Someone told me to do that and i noticed leftover resin on the leaves
No add 1-2 tablespoons of epsom per gallon of water and feed it to your plant

Gonna try that next watering...But I gotta update y'all...I just saw ONE flower on one of my Hawaiians!!! So yaaaaaaay!

Over the course of the last month, I began applying NFTGs sample pack....Couple weeks later, they were covered in buds and just yesterday my first few flowers opened!!! So stoked, these were my number-ones and looks like I'll get a nice flush before the season fizzles out. (As to my last post...it was a bud, not a flower.)

Back