• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Why are my Naga seeds black?

Hello all.
I have just been cutting open my Nagas to get the seeds out & noticed that in all the pods that I have opened the seeds are partially black. Has anyone come across this before?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZK2lq7YL_e8/SeoyoahKxbI/AAAAAAAAAsE/iARKlgIkMnM/s1600-h/DSCF6277.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZK2lq7YL_e8/SeoyoSqPgrI/AAAAAAAAAsM/GSg6xG_j6Hw/s1600-h/DSCF6278.JPG
DSCF6277.JPG

DSCF6278.JPG

Looking at that I think I know why Nagas are so hot. they say that the concentration of capsascin is in that lighter stuff on the inside. Those have way more than habaneros and probably other peppers.

All I know is last time I ate a Jalapeno that had a couple of black seeds, I was sick as a dog for 2 days. Now when I see black seeds that aren't a Manzano/Rocoto, I chuck the pepper.

I linked this thread to a botanist friend and here's his reply:

I'd guess it was bad pollination. The seeds went ahead and tried to develop, but without an embryo they just aborted. The rest of the tissue seems fine to me and the full seeds (the blacks look shrunken too) look fine.

Ask the guy about pollination or if he tried to help out or in general to the group how self-fertile are they?

Hope that helped.

I've had lots of jolokia's with what looks like a fungus growning in them. The seeds are black along with some of the membrane around them. Seems to be common but no ide if it's a bad thing like bigt said. Ive eaten lots with black seeds but have always cut out the black stuff first.

Last year was the first year I grew them narley chillis and yes the first few ripe ones had black or partial black seeds in them. But as the year went on and the plant produced more the seeds were normal and still stinking HOT as a red hot poker from a fire. Ans yes I did scrap the seeds out and tried the chilli out and by my surprise it was down right scorcherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Give it time and they will be okay I never did find out why they did turn black its more than likely a fungus type thing for they do not keep very long before the fungus starts up Good luck

Thanks everybody for your replies.
patrick.... They were grown in a hothouse & to tell you the truth it struggled to set fruit. I ended up giving the plant some light shakes every few days & in the end it started growing pods instead of just dropping the flowers.

Thanks again.

So that would suggest they did have a problem pollinating at first then wouldn't it? Hhhmmm guess I'll have to start listening to my friend a little more. I'm not going to tell him he may have been right though. Keep him guessing.

Thanks for that info JAHaworth.

Black seeds

JAHaworth,
I have seen your pics from your seeds Nagas and unfortunately they are not good to be planted due to a genetic deformation during their development.
The reason would be many things like for exemplo; the weather because it is not a peppers from frozen place, hardly stress during it development and others.
The seeds are hotten.

seeds are rotten. scrape em out. eat the pod. not a total loss by any stretch. i've eaten tons of pods with bad seeds. flesh is almost always good. alot of the peppers i buy at the Indian market have them, but i just toss the seeds and i never get sick.

I agree, I've eaten loads of Scotch Bonnets/ type chillis from Indian shops and quite a few have black seeds, the pods I've bought do tend to be over-ripe though as that's all they have in my desperate times. They won't kill ya but you won't get baby peppers from them.

yep actual pod flesh looks fine even a few of the seeds look ok, scracpe out the seeds and dry them, when dry throw out all the mankey looking ones, but use the flesh it looks well tasty

Back