• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why are Super Hots Called "Gourmet" Super Hots

It's called a straw man's argument when you prove yourself right by twisting the words of the other. Because that is not what started it. But let's call this gourmet water under the artisan bridge. Happy new year to you too!

I never saw anyone getting upset or inflammatory. I guess I should apologize if anyone took it that way. Scripting out conversations on the internet sometimes gets interpreted differently than intended. And sometimes it's ok to have a healthy debate. If we all agreed on everything 100% of the time, we would all die of boredom.
Having an open mind is a great thing.

Have a great NYE!

:cheers!

I can't believe this thread grew to 3 pages overnight over such an issue.

Oh well, it is morning here downunder on the first day of the new year, so Happy New Year all.

I am now going to cook myself some breakfast using my gourmet frying pan.

I said that to be a smartass.

I feel that being a smartass is my job.

It doesn't pay much but the work is very rewarding.

Ghostpepperevolution said:
I agree that gourmet doesnt work, I see the super hots as more of rare peppers. Making people believe that these arent common will motivate on a commercial level more than gourmet ever will. Theres a reason tv infomercials use the call in the next 30 min line and limited time only.
I agree, but i think there's some balance-work to be done with that.  Ppl do tend to value scarcity, almost on reflex, but if you're hawking something they haven't even heard of, well....  name recognition goes a long way, too.  Which i guess is why a sauce made with Carolina Reapers is likely to outsell sauce made with some kinda alpha-numeric chile with a "cgn" or "pi" prefix.  

al_gore.jpg

may_calendar.jpg

The word to me does not equate to better.

Take salsa for example. Sometimes you just want a regular salsa but a good one. So you tend to look at the ingredients. Or maybe you go for organic. Gourmet means absolutely nothing, but to me, the connotation is, this is probably going to have some extra "stuff" in it. A peach and burgundy wine salsa, sure that's rightfully a gourmet salsa. Is it better? Does it scream good ingredients? Nope.

Someone may call a person good at cooking a gourmet. "He's a real gourmet when it comes to cooking." This is the same connotation really. A person that knows how to cook well using various and interesting ingredients, not better.

So when it comes to peppers to me it makes no damn sense. Add to the fact it will look pretentious on a label, to me at least. Unless it truly is gourmet where they are experimenting with a lot of ingredients. But not hot sauce with superhots because the superhots. And definitely not in the ingredients list! "Water, vinegar, gourmet scorpion peppers" Nope nope nope!

;)

The Hot Pepper said:
So when it comes to peppers to me it makes no damn sense. Add to the fact it will look pretentious on a label, to me at least. Unless it truly is gourmet where they are experimenting with a lot of ingredients. But not hot sauce with superhots because the superhots. And definitely not in the ingredients list! "Water, vinegar, gourmet scorpion peppers" Nope nope nope!

;)

I won't f___ with any sauce that isn't made with gourmet water, gourmet vinegar, and (of course) gourmet superhots.

In all seriousness, there are very expensive bottles of water and vinegar out there, and I suppose there are at least ostensible reasons (beyond greed) for the premium.  There might even be valid reasons they cost much more.  And, I suspect, the ppl who hawk such things-- and the folks who buy'm-- might consider the circumstances behind the premium price to fall under the umbrella of "gourmet"...

But me?  If I read or hear the word, I immediately get all suspicious and pessimistic.  And, on the occasion that I use the term myself, i'm almost invariably being sarcastic.

Sure. Coffee for example. That shit (pun intended) that is harvested from elephant dung... is certainly gourmet! :lol:

Bicycle808 said:
But me?  If I read or hear the word, I immediately get all suspicious and pessimistic.  And, on the occasion that I use the term myself, i'm almost invariably being sarcastic.
Damm dude. It's like you plagiarized me before I even thought it. :Rofl: :rofl:

Me? I see the word "gourmet" like I do "super duper" or "extra extra special". Just because your salsa is "super duper", means I shalt not buyeth, like they're trying to tell me it's something it's not. It got over used like "new and improved". I tend to steer clear of the overselling clichés.

Scoville DeVille said:
Damm dude. It's like you plagiarized me before I even thought it. :Rofl: :rofl:

Me? I see the word "gourmet" like I do "super duper" or "extra extra special". Just because your salsa is "super duper", means I shalt not buyeth, like they're trying to tell me it's something it's not. It got over used like "new and improved". I tend to steer clear of the overselling clichés.
Now, I have to admit, I'm a sucker for "super duper." In fact, i'm off to start a thread called "why are Superhots called SuperDuperHots?"

(Or, would that be "Super Duper Superhots?")

bob65 said:
I can't believe this thread grew to 3 pages overnight over such an issue.

Oh well, it is morning here downunder on the first day of the new year, so Happy New Year all.

I am now going to cook myself some breakfast using my gourmet frying pan.

I said that to be a smartass.

I feel that being a smartass is my job.

It doesn't pay much but the work is very rewarding.
As a steward for the United Smart Asses, trade union membership plan. [U.S.A ,Tr.U.M.P] (no affiliation) I see that your dues are in arrears. Please remedy this at your earliest convenience.

Scoville DeVille said:
I never saw anyone getting upset or inflammatory. I guess I should apologize if anyone took it that way. Scripting out conversations on the internet sometimes gets interpreted differently than intended. And sometimes it's ok to have a healthy debate. If we all agreed on everything 100% of the time, we would all die of boredom.
Having an open mind is a great thing.

Have a great NYE!

:cheers!
Bill New Year's Eve the science guy

Well, it seems everyone has kissed and made up, or at least virtually clinked beers.....

At least until the next time....

:Cheers: ,Everyone!

Back