• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Why do we grow and or eat Chili Peppers ?Tell your story.

Tell your story of why,how,when you got started in peppers.
(Sorry If this is the wrong topic, If so please move it. Thanks you.)
IF YOU LIKE A STORY PLEASE CLICK THE LIKE BUTTON"WE CAN ALL USE A FEW LIKES"

I found out years ago after my mother got sick and couldn't do any yard work or garden anymore that i had a green thumb, My mother is very sick and i am her primary caregiver so my days revolve around her, Having a garden gives me my "Me time" each day love to garden, watching things that i planted grow gives me a since of accomplishment

Growing up I was the kid that loved his vegetables I was introduced to hot peppers at a very young age(roughly 10 years old).Our family went to a race and my uncle went to the concession stand and bought some nacho's with cheese dip that had Jalapeno's in it, well he didn't tell me they where hot and i got a big chip and dipped into the cheese and got a huge helping of cheese with quite few Jalapeno's on it and took a bite. Well to say the least it lit me up and set me on fire, it had me in tears but I loved it and i had to have more. Over the years i continued eating hot peppers then about 3 or so years ago i was introduced to the Ghost Pepper, A buddy had some dried and we ate one together and man that was the hottest thing i had ever had, now my buddy hurt so bad he was rolling on the ground in pure pain and puking , I on the other hand even though it was the hottest thing i had ever had i handled it allot better. So now my love of peppers has been taken to a whole new level.

Thanks everyone for participating, this is a great way to make friends and get to knw each other just a little bet better.

NO DRAMA PLEASE

My dad used to eat tortilla chips with hot old elpaso taco sauce and i tried them and was hooked. I graduated up to texas pete and it's eaten like catsup here, on just about anything. about 18 years ago, i tried my first habanero and there was not turning back. Only problem was finding them here fresh, so i started growing them. This year is my first year eating and growing bhut jolokias. I've eaten one and i love it. My neighbor gave me seeds and, well, it will be next year before i can havest them because they got started so late. Luckily, i'll have a head strart in the spring with overwintered plants and thanks to an awesome person on here sharing the heat and kindness, i now have some varieties of superhot seeds i'm getting to start germinating next week or so for next spring.

oh, i guess i forgot the middle, lol. I have been making hot wings or as my friends call them fire wings for about 20 years. when i started, i used the recipe of the texas pete bottle and started modifying it, then i started using jalapenos in them. When i tried habaneros i had to put one in my wings. After awhile, i was up to 6 habaneros and 6 jalapenos in 5 lbs of wings. the rest is history, til next year when i harvest my ghosts and other superhots. Might have to rename my wings,lol!

I went to a medical mission trip in the mountains of central Mexico with my parents when I was a child and one morning, a lady made chilaquiles. I was about 8 years old and I went back for two more servings although they were literally on fire. No one else was finishing their dishes and my dad was surprised that I was eating them although I was red and sweating through my second helping. I think I drank 3 1/2 Joya's with breakfast that morning. I'm not as hardcore as most people on this site (especially you Robert- i've seen ur youtube videos), eating super hots in one gulp but when they come to me at a Thai restaurant and say "1 through 5" I say, "try to make it a 6 or 7". Whataburgers are just not the same without jalapenos! My hot wings better make me sweat and I should need a box of kleenex on hand or they're not hot wings....and when my wife cooks fidello, it's just not complete without some smoking hot hot salsa! great question Robert!

I liked jalapenos, and had always had a "like from a distance" approach to gardening... But I had always like the idea of having a garden...

I had been reading some books on being self sufficient, and one of the things I had read involved the health benefits of Capsaicin. They mentioned just how healthy they are, how they boost your immune system and metabolism... Basically a super food.

Being from a slightly hispanic background (when spain owned florida the first time, that was us IE we lost the language, but not the food...), I had grown up eating lots of spicy food, so it seemed like a good idea to give it a try.

The next day I picked up a handfull of plants from Home Depot, jalapenos, habanero, and cayenne.

They flourished in the florida climate, and the soil I had put them in (raised bed - 6 inches of soil, and then a plastic sheet... hey I was new!). I grew to love the habaneros, and was using them in everything.

I eventually wondered if there was anything hotter, or that had a different taste... I decided in my heart that I would make a reasonable effort to try them all...

I now have over 500 varieties in my seed vault, and have grown out about 100 of them.

EDIT - the plastic sheet was beneath the soil... kept out the weeds beneath, but limited their growth in the end... still had hundreds of pods...

Might have to rename my wings,lol!

Instead of fire you could go with "lava" "death" or omgosh I'm gonna die wings. because thats what your friends will say while eating them haha!

I've got some health issues and I have found that eating hot peppers alleviate some of my symptoms. Unfortunately, my tolerance is now up to superhots. Lousy stomach cramps... I have to drink a boatload of Mallox before or otherwise I suffer.

I've got some health issues and I have found that eating hot peppers alleviate some of my symptoms. Unfortunately, my tolerance is now up to superhots. Lousy stomach cramps... I have to drink a boatload of Mallox before or otherwise I suffer.

I have found that lemon water helps dilute the cap oils in your stomach after you eat super hot.

Back