• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Why do you grow peppers?

I was really into eating spicy foods and gardening, but never put the two together. Really enjoyed the Ninja Squirrel sauce at Whole Foods and saw "Red Jalapenos" as one of the ingredients. Wait, ripe peppers have more flavor? Cue search for ripe jalapeno peppers at local stores, NOTHING. I guess I'll have to grow my own! 

My love to chili start before seven years.  

Often I went for food to Asia fast food and I wondered Sriracha sauce. And Avalanche of chilimania can start :-D  
first three years I consume only Sriracha and others commercial products which can be available but in Czech republic is very low quality of these product - a lot of salt and vinegar. In case you want bought fresh chili it is big problem there. Only the bigest supermarkets has superhots varieties but with very low hot. 

So before four years I started with growing on my Garden. And my favorites varieties are all Superhots. I love eating whole superhots pods. Explosive of endorphins and body vibration are the best things on the world :-D Anyway shape of pods of superhots is the most beautiful thing on the world.  

Chili in the food ? I have chilli everywhere. No eating food without chili :-D

My parents were gardeners, but with their Northern European ancestry, there was no heat. Some time in my late teens or early 20s, I ate a habanero and my head almost exploded. Then after college, a girlfriend really got me into Indian and Thai food. Now at 42 (as of next week) I look to add some kind of spice - mild or hot - to most dishes for a hot fix. I made a turkey last Christmas and with the leftover meat I made chili. Froze it. Forgot about it until about a month ago. Thawed it, ate a huge mouthful - and forgot I dropped ghost peppers in while cooking. Opened my eyes, but in a good way :)

I always liked spicy food, even as a child.

A friend started growing peppers about ten years ago, got me started growing five years ago.

But, I would ask:  'Why do others not grow peppers?'

The obvious...i love spicy foods. Thia, Hunan/schezuan, Indian, Korean, Jamaican ect ect

1) Specialty peppers and hot sauce at the markets a ridiculously priced. Ive seen some sell for more than beef tenderloin.

2) You often don't get what you think you are buying. Ive had some mystery yellow pepper labeled as lemon drops but they looked nothing like a lemon drop.

3) The last 2 years jalapenos at every market ive been to were not hot at all and pretty much had no flavor at all. Even the Mexican market's jalapenos and serranos were total duds.

4) I love hot sauce but i hate the large amount of salt used and the cheap distilled vinegars many use. Its not that i don't like salt or that they taste too salty, its that i also make sauce for dialysis patients. Try to stay under 1500mg of sodium per day and enjoy your food.....it isn't easy if you are eating store bought prepared foods. Everything is loaded with way too much salt including things like tonic water. I have a large collection of imported vinegar. Many have a higher acidity than typical cider vinegar. Try a chardonnay or champagne vinegar in your hot sauce sometime. I make a few vinegars from my homemade wines too.

5) I know what pesticides and herbicides are used on my peppers/garden.....none

Back