• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Why I love Manzanos

I understand the longer growing season on these, but have any of the northern growers successfully gotten fruit from a plant?  I am thinking if I started the plants in October and grew them pretty big indoors that maybe I could get some fruit from them.

Hombre said:
Capsicum pubescens var. smokemaster rules  :drooling:

Fixed that for ya!

I still have the better part of 2 1/2 Lbs. of seeds that need homes if anyone wants some.
They are a mix of Yellow , Yellow Orange , Orange and red.
Most are from big pods.
Some are from Vallarta seeds and others from my growouts.
All from last fall to this spring.
I send a couple Tbsp. per pack.

Hombre
You grew some monster pods in your slide shows.
Any of them from the Dino pod seeds or Vallarta seeds I sent you?
I think I saw pics you posted somewhere that were labeled as seeds I sent you before.

I get a lot of nice stuff from these seeds but you don't know what you have until it pods up.
All seem to be very productive and or big pods.

poypoyking said:
I understand the longer growing season on these, but have any of the northern growers successfully gotten fruit from a plant?  I am thinking if I started the plants in October and grew them pretty big indoors that maybe I could get some fruit from them.
I started seeds on March 1 and started getting ripe pods first week of August. Grow as fast as any other pepper species,flower earlier. The ripening process is what seems to take forever. Some of my plants have set a ton of fruit and some only a few,all getting same treatment.

I have some plants in full shade and they won't even flower. Not the route to go IMO.

Pr0digal_son said:
I have some plants in full shade and they won't even flower. Not the route to go IMO.

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I'm an hour and a half W/NW of you.  I have a spot with no AM or PM sun and only scattered sun during mid-day that I was going to try for the Manzonos but maybe that would be a poor choice.

cone9 said:
I'm glad you mentioned this.  I'm an hour and a half W/NW of you.  I have a spot with no AM or PM sun and only scattered sun during mid-day that I was going to try for the Manzonos but maybe that would be a poor choice.
Morning sunlight is preferable as it is the time of day when temperatures tend to be lower. A shade cloth comes in handy when the weather heats up.

Darn , you guys are just forcing me to post more pics. LOL
Hombre is truely the King of Pubes.
He has them down to a science..Gets the best out of ANY variety.

Here goes-

Vallarta Dino pods(dino is Dinosaur sized pods).

2 manzanos in back-Yellow

See mouse for size comparison.
Can't find the pics of the HOT and Heavies.

Manzanos were VERY THICK FLESHED-HOT AS HABS.
I sent some to Chris saying they were Valarta Hot and Heavies.
He,Like me munches on Pubes(Pun intended) while we clean them.I guess he ate a CHUNK of one and wrote back that I named them right. LOL

These pods had the thickest flesh I've ever seen.
VERY hot but still had a GREAT pube,fruity taste.
XLNT Pubes...

smokemaster said:
.Hombre
You grew some monster pods in your slide shows.
Any of them from the Dino pod seeds or Vallarta seeds I sent you?
I think I saw pics you posted somewhere that were labeled as seeds I sent you before.

I get a lot of nice stuff from these seeds but you don't know what you have until it pods up.
All seem to be very productive and or big pods.

Sure many off them where really nice
The Dino Pods 35(p231) that I got rom you in 2010 is one of my favorites. Really productive manzano shaped pods that are between "normal" Manzanos and Big ones like Giant, Grandis or Riesen. forthat a "normal" person can eat one relleno because normally with the big one a lot of people say it is too much. I

Villarta Dino Pods Yellow-Yellow Orange 2 (P360) got really big fruits

The new ones also look really promising
Allways enjoy growing Capsicum pubescens Seeds out of Villarta Pods

Greetings

Alexander

I do pick the pods that I like when I go there.
I go through the whole bin often.

Even if they don't get really big they have to be the most productive plants I've grown so far.
I just was looking at some pics you posted on C2C.

That mini mini Locoto has me wondering what it's story is.
A wild Pube. or?

As i said before.
If you don't mind mixed seeds,I have 2 lbs. of Vallarta seeds or growouts.
Want some?
PM me if you do.

Normally I take what I get. But in the Moment I do not know how it is gonna work out next year. This year I will proably get next to nothing scince we had a bad hailstorm and all Plants look really bad.
So maybe I will try to get them over the winter and try to get some pods next year then I will have no space for extra plants.
But maybe I will send you an PM anway :)

The mini mini Locoto was one plant years ago from a selection project , that had the smallest pod I have ever seen on a Capsicum pubescens . Too Bad the seeds that I saved did not germate.

Greetings

Alexander

Back