• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Why pots/buckets

I've noticed that many pepper growers grow a large number of plants in pots and buckets rather than in the ground. What advantages are there to growing in pots/buckets?

I've noticed that many pepper growers grow a large number of plants in pots and buckets rather than in the ground. What advantages are there to growing in pots/buckets?

Well, some of the benefits to using pots as opposed to just putting them in the ground are mobility and soil control. Given how erratic the weather has been lately, it's a boon to be able to bring them under cover in the event of a freak summer hail-storm. As for the soil, it's significantly easier to control the pH, nutrients, etc. in a five gallon pot rather than a stretch of garden.

In my opinion,
The benefits of growing in the ground greatly outweigh those of container gardening!
But if ya have a short season I could see how container gardening would be better!
as far as mobility of the plants!
But it is just as easy to control garden soil as it is for containers!!

Kevin

Bunnies. Hungry bunnies. Savage murderous bunnies. Vicious plant killing bunnies. Scientific name: Horribilis eatabus everythingus. I hate 'em.

Plus everything Nick said.

Bunnies. Hungry bunnies. Savage murderous bunnies. Vicious plant killing bunnies. Scientific name: Horribilis eatabus everythingus. I hate 'em.

My three cats like the taste of small game: mouse, chipmunk, squirrel, and bunny.

there have been alot more cooked plants in containers than in the ground. you can always build a fence or buy a shotgun.

I say if you have the space and you're an experienced gardener, it's much better to put the plants in the ground. Fences are indeed easy enough to build, and healthy soil equals happy peppers. If your soil is terrible to begin with, container growing at least allows for some control over growing conditions, particularly sunlight and drainage. I'm already finding some of my peppers prefer a little more sun than others, so I've been tweaking their position in the yard, something which isn't feasible when you plant in the ground.

There's also the fact that my landlord doesn't want me tearing up the entire yard, which may have been a small consideration in my planting choices. :lol:

Grow a couple good tomato plants give the tomato's to him all season. next year he will ask you to plant the hole yard. Had the same problem with my landlord he didn't want me to make my first bed to big. after the first year he don't care if i dig up the drive way to plant. now . loves them home grown tomato's

That's the plan. I've planted more tomatoes than I need in the hopes I can win them over. Now I just have to hope for a decent season.

Pots give total control over your plants. growing medium, location, fertilizer (type, amount etc) and pretty much everything else as well.

I grow the majority in the ground. Mother nature has always been good to my green babies. I am leaving some in 5 gallon pots this year for over wintering. I suppose you could dig them back up but just seems easier to leave in a container.

i live in miami, and they other day there was a crazy out-of-no-where rain storm and her winds were blowing super hard. thankfully i have my peppers in pots and i was able to move them under shelter. if it wasnt for having them in pots, they would have been killed. one tilted to the side but that was easily fixed with a stick to hold her up until she got the strength back.

That's what suppressors are made for. Plus then you get a free dinner.

I would plant in the ground if i didn`t rent the house i am in now.The yard or lack of will force me to use the bucket method also,but will be nice when we get the afternoon thunderstorms because i can bring my plants inside the sun room.

What advantages are there to growing in pots/buckets?

several of the reasons listed have already been mentioned...as long as I can get 5-6' plants in containers that produce massive quantities, why should I plant in the ground? If I harvest over 300 lbs a year off of 300-350 plants, I'm happy...

1. Mobility
2. Maximum use of minimum space
3. Exact control of nutrients given
4. Exact control of water given
5. IMO cheaper to build enough soil for containers vs building soil in a garden plot
6. When you feed/water, you only feed/water the plants in the containers and not the whole garden
7. Recycling your soil year to year...

as you can tell, I am sold on container gardening and doubt if I ever grow anything in the ground again here at my house...

i wouldn't be able to grow the plants to fruiting stage if i had to garden grow peppers due to a very short growing season that is unfriendly to peppers. i can still get snow and freezing temperatures in june, then by mid september frost kicks in. july & august are known as hail season. but if i could grow peppers in the garden that would be my preference. i do garden grow tomatoes but they are hardier varieties. this year i may plant one of my goatsweed in a spot saved for my tomatoes and see how it produces - goatsweed are somewhat more hardier for cooler temperatures and one of my plants is pushing into its 5th year. so it's time to start a newer generation aways, then let this one die off in september.

so, can be about location as well.

Ya, personally I wouldn't bother growing peppers without containers in my climate. I can increase my growing season over 3 months by bringing plants inside the house or greenhouse during the cool spring and fall, and even during harsh summer weather. I save my garden space for tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins and many other hardier veggies

The main reason I do it is because I plant tomatoes, eggplant, okra, cucumber and beans in the ground.
If I put all my peppers in the garden, I wouldn't have room for anything else. Besides, they do great in
containers. I have about 8 earthboxes and 17 5 gallon buckets. I really like the earthboxes.

Back