• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wide Spectrum Fluorescent Tubes

Hello everyone. I'm new (and now addicted) to this forum. I have a quick question. What are your opinions on GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum tubes? I have a standard double 4ft T12 fixture. Anyone use them?

:welcome: t12's are going out of production due to the fact that there are more efficient lights out there that put out more lumens as well. Such as the T5 for example. But if you are on a budget the t12 will work. Just make sure you have grow bulbs in there if you're growing which is 6500K.

I've been growing for 3 years now and the only thing I use is standard flouresints and cfl's usually the 6500K ones. And to be honest as well as my plants grow I have no reason to buy the expensive "grow bulbs". Now keep in mind I only start my plants for 4 months inside then plant out in spring.

I bought 12 of the GE Plant and Aquarium bulbs last year and they worked ok for starting my chile and tomato plants in the winter. I am using them again this year and my seedlings seem to be stalled out and growing at too slow of a pace. It could be because the grow room is a little cool (60-70F) or the recent battle with fungus gnats. The GE bulbs served their purpose and they will be retired this year. After looking at some of the growlogs using T5 and MH, I am finally ready to switch. I think even the CFL bulbs (see AJ) work much better than the T12 GE bulbs and the plants deserve a better start if you live in an cooler and short growing season region where I live.

I believe those ones say on their packaging that they are "to highlight indoor plants," which I took to mean that they don't actually put out the range of spectrum that the plants really need. Like was mentioned, if you have 'em, use 'em, otherwise go for the cfl, T5, or T8 6500k style, which are also listed as "daylight."

Can't those damn florescent producers just make it easier for us pepper growers? lol.

Go with Metal Halide if You have not got anything yet. CFL are not worth it. Even a small MH light is better then the biggest cfl, not to mention how bad cfl pollute.

"Can't those damn florescent producers just make it easier for us pepper growers? lol."

That photo.....is good :cool:

lol No just use HID.

Back