• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wild Game or Fish

If this exists the super search feature failed to direct me...

I would love everyone to post plates of food from something they caught or killed hunting.

First up....ugly plate but a southern classic, fried venison and onions...I like to put pepper powder in the breading.

Edmick said:
Set out in search of some quail and rabbit today. Only shooting I did was pictures. This season has really sucked.

There are I reckon at least 99% of the human population on this planet.

That wish they had a day sucking as bad as yours.

There's a reason some folks refer to such locales in the pic as "God's Country".

Once you see it.

Breathe it.

You don't have to look for God anymore.

He's right there.

texas blues said:

There are I reckon at least 99% of the human population on this planet.

That wish they had a day sucking as bad as yours.

There's a reason some folks refer to such locales in the pic as "God's Country".

Once you see it.

Breathe it.

You don't have to look for God anymore.

He's right there.
I totally agree. It's amazing just sitting on a rock sometimes listening to the silence and taking it all in. I live for it. Being lucky enough to actually shoot some birds and pt some meat in the freezer is just an added bonus. Was a beautiful day today too. Temps in the 70s with a light breeze.

The picture does it no justice either. The visual aspect is only one part of what makes it so breath taking. People that say they don't like the outdoors have no idea what they're missing. Going to vast places like this that have been virtually untouched by man is a very humbling experience.

F11B78E0-0B65-45DD-9F3D-7CAC533AFED3.jpeg

This years doe. Some mighty fine Catskill mountain meat.

Friday fish fry, hosers!

I didn't cook this particular fish tonight. But this guy (the fish, not my buddy holding the fish) was caught on the same trip as one of the wallies I fried for dinner.
V5xu3Ls.jpg

If you listed real close, you can bear me telling him to hold it closer to the camera.

Wally, perch and wally cheeks, ready for dredging
k4TWK9z.jpg

Throw cheeks in oil, take a pic, pull them out.
i61Iial.jpg

Mmmm... Wally cheek... The perfect bite-size morsel for testing the oil temp.
lvUdcTC.jpg

Perch fillets usually don't even make it onto the dinner plate. As soon as they come out of the oil, they go straight into the mouth and make smiles, rolled back eyes and roof-of-the-mouth blisters.
qLLJJU5.jpg

The main event. Wally. I totally forgot to take pics of the inside. But trust that ikejime, once again, did the trick.  ...moist, flaky, pure white heaven.
The coleslaw was shredded cabbage, Marzetti dressing, black pepper, ground celery seed, half a P. Dreadie bonnet and a pinch each of ground ginger and cardamom. I thought about making some home browns, but we had a lot of fish, so I figured it would just get in the way.
UQ0yx6L.jpg

Now the freezer is fish free. I need to do something about that next week!

Fries are good (and yes, when I do fries, I do crinkle!) but there was so much fish that there would've been leftovers of one or the other. Not good.
     I like lemon on some stronger flavored fish, but putting it on ice-fished fillets that were bled out seconds after being iced is like putting ketchup on a filet mignon. (I don't even know why I put the tarter sauce on the plate. I hardly used any.)
     Fresh, cold water walleye has a delicate flavor like scallops or crab. The less flavor added, the better. IKE JIME, FTW!!!
     Thank you for the compliments! I'll do my best to post more fish fries soon. :cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
I heard you were "listed" as a "bear" on a dating website.

You're one of those folks whose humor I can recognize from a mile away. It's got a definite perverted dad joke kind of vibe to it. A clever pun or two takes the reader's mind on a quick walk straight into the toilet.
      I like it.

edit: I tried to find a video of Clarence Boddicker saying "I like it!" after blowing up a 6000 SUX with an Omni Cobra Assault Cannon on YouTube, but I couldn't find one.

Back