• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

I having a few sprout fast. Here's one. Praetermissums are taking their sweet time while these came out in 7-9 days.

IMG_20131208_083731.jpg

-Walt

Regarding the Galapagonese variety...

I've noticed a seed seller mentioning that they strongly suggest soaking the seeds in a Saltpeter solution prior to sowing.

Why is this?

Normaly, I use 3% peroxide for 20 minutes, rinse and the let soak in camomille tea for 24 hours. Usualy I do this with chinenses, is it OK for wilds.

Pr0digal_son, to go back to the flexuosum - from what I red, a plant will not set seed without anothe flexuosum around. Since it's going to be my first attempt of growing them, don't have any actual proof.

@mememe

I would suggest growing more than one flexuosum plant. That will help getting seed,plus they are a beautiful plant on top of that. My single plant is setting pods with seed in a 30-45° F garage/shed. There are no other flowering plants in there with it. I will try to get a picture of a fruit tonight if I have time.

What are some really good wilds to start with that are relatively easy to acquire? I have a short list of must haves that are on the opposite side of the fence from what I just inquired. But I am a sucker for the rare and radicle. And it may be some time before I will be able to get them.

CAPSICUM GALAPAGONOESE
CUMARI POLLUX
CGN24332
CGN22795
CGN21502

HP22BH said:
What are some really good wilds to start with that are relatively easy to acquire? I have a short list of must haves that are on the opposite side of the fence from what I just inquired. But I am a sucker for the rare and radicle. And it may be some time before I will be able to get them.

CAPSICUM GALAPAGONOESE
CUMARI POLLUX
CGN24332
CGN22795
CGN21502

Those are all available at Pepperlover.com. Judy has quite a collection of wilds, so check her web site out, if you haven`t already. 

Tepins are good to start with. Easy to germinate, grow and fruit. They also taste great. Other than those, just jump in and see what happens!!!

Nigel said:
Those are all available at Pepperlover.com. Judy has quite a collection of wilds, so check her web site out, if you haven`t already. 

Tepins are good to start with. Easy to germinate, grow and fruit. They also taste great. Other than those, just jump in and see what happens!!!

Yes, I know. These were actually copied from Pepperlovers. They are the rare and difficult I was making reference to. I was also looking for some suggestions of some additional varieties.
I will look into topics, thanks

Does anyone know what species Judy's Blue mystery is? the flowers some what look like a C. cardenasii in away, but they show
other traits also.

I would like to hear what she thinks,hopefully she checks in. From the pictures I have seen,I would say interspecific hybrid.. baccatum X. Looking forward to growing and photographing it in '14.

HP22BH said:
Yes, I know. These were actually copied from Pepperlovers. They are the rare and difficult I was making reference to. I was also looking for some suggestions of some additional varieties.
I will look into topics, thanks
Ah, sorry. 

Lots of Tepin varieties that are straightforward, as Nightshade says. You could also try a praetermissum or two.

Had a few wilds pop over the weekend.

C. Eximium from Peter at S.L.P

CAP 1530 (C. Eximium) From jammy bastard (nigel) pods

C. Chacoense from I couldn't even begin to remember

The CAP 1530 and the other Eximium are in Oasis Horticubes. I took the one out and put it in Fafard's and left the other in the cube to see how it goes. The Chacoense is in 100% vermiculite. I spoke to Allen Boatman (I believe most everyone here has seen his work with wilds) and found out his germination technique. He told me that he uses either promix or Fafard's and top sows the seeds just right on top, doesn't cover them or anything and then just waits. He's grown every wild species there is and 1200 other varieties. I'm now trying his method. This guy is truly a master of growing, the USDA, CGN, among plenty of other databases use his photos for their descriptions. Anyways, great guy with a massive wealth of knowledge.

I have had my share of horror stories with C. lanceolatum, botched helmet removals,squirrels killing them. This season will end in success!! haha Maybe. Getting good germination rates in terms of % and times.

This guy is going to be "The Little Lance That Could". Following his successful surgery,he was immediately plucked from the soil by the bastard cat,before I even put the tweezers down! She put a kink in the taproot,but after 4 days, he is alive and well.

Damn!
11280080465_6edc4fa234_b.jpg

Lube it up
11280128716_7d80d94a7d_b.jpg

Steady....
11280150864_a414af5f2c_b.jpg

Phhheeewwww
11280155074_8b94000cf7_b.jpg

Pr0digal_son said:
I have had my share of horror stories with C. lanceolatum, botched helmet removals,squirrels killing them. This season will end in success!! haha Maybe. Getting good germination rates in terms of % and times.

This guy is going to be "The Little Lance That Could". Following his successful surgery,he was immediately plucked from the soil by the bastard cat,before I even put the tweezers down! She put a kink in the taproot,but after 4 days, he is alive and well.

Damn!
11280080465_6edc4fa234_b.jpg

Lube it up
11280128716_7d80d94a7d_b.jpg

Steady....
11280150864_a414af5f2c_b.jpg

Phhheeewwww
11280155074_8b94000cf7_b.jpg
Wish you succeed on this one, I did the same thing on one of mine. Soak for about 10 minutes and then carefully pull it. It actually slides out, well in my case it did ;).

I'm waiting for my seeds from Peter, and the lance will be the first one to hit the dirt when they arrive. I hope you can share your findings as there's people that actually kill them before they're first set of leaves or they just go suicide.

-Walt

Back