• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Wild Varieties-What is your favorite

Pr0digal_son said:
Very cool mate. The lance grows some round leaves also. I wouldn't say as consistant as the dimorphum you posted though. Mostly seeing it on the younger plants.
@Portuge... your chacoense is looking like an annuum. What variety did you get the seeds as? It should have yellow filaments and not blue/purple.
You plants are looking great. Good work on the galapa pod. I am growing what I think is the blue mystery but from a different source named differently. Definitely a beast of a plant.
Hey John, seeds are from Judy. I guess I don't have the real deal then not a problem.

Lance filling out a 10 gallon sack.
14095948160_6355672ca9_o.jpg

CGN24332
14181462924_8cdfb04372_o.jpg

13994796539_4fb86fe079_o.jpg

13994793419_8d8fc30964_o.jpg

14280528802_c765481d26_o.jpg

This is my over-wintered C.galapagoense. It`s taken off enormously over the last few weeks and now there will be flowers it seems!

These are "ulupica" from southern Bolivia, wild collected seeds. I know someone that grew out similar seeds and he got a nice, typical  C.eximium, somewhat similar to CAP 500. Anyway, I have 6 plants and 5 are pretty much indistinguishable. One is odd, compared to the others. It was different from the cotyledons and on and is still different. It is more tomentose, as the photos below show. The growth habit is also a little different. These are the best photos I can get at the moment (John, can I borrow your camera???). The first photo is the "typical" plant. The second one is the atypical plant.

If I use a magnifying glass I think I can see glandular trichomes, but I may be trying too hard to see them. 

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/N...90_4584583015711312341_n_zpsceb3ec8f.jpg.html

Galapa looks great,super colour mate,my favourite tasting wild.

I have noticed all my chiles have glandular trichomes on the cotyledons or stems. After that I see none. The only exception is lanceolatum,they never have them. I know galapas have them on mature plants and a couple other types that we can't grow yet. Maybe you have something unique that isn't in our circles yet.

You can borrow the camera. Get us some action at your club and I will fly out.

Wow!  Definitely looks like trichomes on that galapogoense!  Anybody have a good source they recommend for seed for this variety?  Semillas?  

illWill said:
Wow!  Definitely looks like trichomes on that galapogoense!  Anybody have a good source they recommend for seed for this variety?  Semillas?  
I think Judy at Pepperlover has them, but not all the time. Peter at Semillas normally has excellent quality seeds. I`ve had other wilds from him, but not Galaps. Both Judy`s and Peter`s seeds have excellent track records in my hands. 

I've got 5 galapagoense growing this year including two eximium and possibly a chacoense, one of the galapagoense looks different from the others and is growing faster also it might have crossed with something else. I have it separated from the others so that it won't pollinate any of the others. Oh yes I have a praetermissum growing that I started last year with the eximium it looks somewhat like the Judy's blue mystery that I'm growing also.  
Sadly other than knowing what species they are I have lost their names and numbers do to poor book keeping on my part, but at least I know what they are. I have a wild chiltepin that I grow every year along with a tepin cross.  I grew up eating chiltepins that my dad collected from the wild and grew when we lived in Arizona at the Ray copper mine, So every time I eat one I think back about my dad and how he and some other men would travel down along the border just to pick peppers. 
Next year I want to add a C.cardenasii and maybe a Lanceolatum and or a C. flexuosum as I'm just growing the wild varieties for the next few seasons as I'm cutting back on my garden and what I'm growing do to health problems.

Sorry to here of your health problems!
On a lighter note living somewhere you can actually pick and eat wild chiles might be the coolest thing ever!

They share some traits with the SE Brazilian species.

CGN24332
13954731909_69403be6e5_o.jpg

Rocopica
14141601424_1e3da42f37_o.jpg

Lance leaves growing in doubles. I haven't noticed that in other capsicum.
14118095716_2b5b2bdf40_o.jpg

Hey John, I remembered you posting this about the Lance putting out leaves in doubles. I think my Lance is doing the same. This is one fun and interesting plant to grow because it doesn't look like any other capsicum.

-Walt

My other one is also doing the same. Not a clear picture but you can see it. I'll take a better pic tomorrow, both lost some leaves because I had an issue with the water. I did a water change and now they're growing nicely again.

-Walt

With all the unusual rain that we are getting and cooler temps, all of my peppers especially my wilds have stopped growing.
I will have to watch and make sure none get root rot, my galaps are just sitting in their pots looking sick and unhappy at 4 and 6 inches high, I expect that it will be another year for them to make any pods.
Boy Nigel that Card. is looking nice, how big are your galapagoens or should I say how old are they?

wildseed57 said:
With all the unusual rain that we are getting and cooler temps, all of my peppers especially my wilds have stopped growing.
I will have to watch and make sure none get root rot, my galaps are just sitting in their pots looking sick and unhappy at 4 and 6 inches high, I expect that it will be another year for them to make any pods.
Boy Nigel that Card. is looking nice, how big are your galapagoens or should I say how old are they?
The Galap. plant above is on it`s second year, germinated a year last March. It was a very unhappy grower all of last year and had a single flower that didn`t set fruit. I did not expect it to survive the winter, but it did without any special care. Once I re-potted it it took off quickly and as of this morning there are more than 20 flowers. Bloody fickle plant! 

Thanks on the C.cardenasii. It`s actually been very difficult to track down real cardenasii seeds, as they are extremely rare in the pepper growing community. CGN 20497 is one, but very, very few people have it. There is also a wild collected cardenasii in Europe I just found out about. Only a handful of people have that one. USDA used to have one, PI 590597, but they don`t have it anymore, at least to my knowledge. That`s pretty much it. 

As C.cardenasii is also reputed to be self-incompatible, growing only one plant may not be enough to generate fertile seeds. I actually have 2 plants, so I`m hoping to have seeds in the fall. The second one has been a really big struggle, but seems Ok now.

Hi Nigel,  Thanks for the info on the wilds, I was starting to think I was doing something wrong as my plants were so small compared to yours, I'm glad that I have 5 galapagoense, just in case something happens. I planted two plants per pot and am keeping one separated from the rest as it is untypical from the rest. The two exemiums are looking fairly good but are growing very slow and my Praet from last year is doing the best along with a C.frutescens that I got from Chris is starting to take off and has buds on it, If the weather permits tomorrow I will take some pics and post them. 

I woke up this morning to heavy rain and plenty of lightning going on, I had to unplug every thing as there was some very close lightning strikes. Its still raining off and on  and is supposed to rain the rest of the week. I have have to move my potted plants out of the rain so they can dry out some they are not happy with all this rain and I can't take care of the garden either.

I had run into the self incompatibility from a wild cardenasii that I once had years back caused me to lose it it was supposed to have come from the USD seed bank,  it put out a few pods that had seeds, but none sprouted the next year when I tried to germinate them and had lost the mother plant that winter, I think that some of the other wilds may have that problem also in some cases.

I counted 19 of these little beauties last night. I need to stop checking them so they will actually open. :lol: It's like watching the clock at work.

14386358046_c5a6fe0c5c_o.jpg

Very nice!! Can't wait for those shots!

-Walt

millworkman said:
Alright, dammit!!! Someone needs to send me seeds to all of these pronto! :) Oh I am not kidding. Ive got lance and rhomb but the rest should be in my mailbox in oh I dont know, 3 days or so.
YEAH!!
And I'll give you all his address my address.

Back