• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wildchicken first year 2014 glog -new grower and is addicted update: 4/11/14

So this is my first time growing peppers and there really should be a pepper growers anonymous group in the welcome page warning people about how addicting it is to grow peppers. I started innocently enough ordering maybe 4 different pepper varieties. I planted them and everything seemed to be good, then I found some more peppers that sounded good and planted them. I joined this site and learned about even more pepper varieties and made the "mistake" of going to pepperlovers.com , Judy sent me so many extras of course I had to plant them too. Now I have so many varieties growing that I am running out of space.

2ur4.jpg

You will see from the light that the bottom section with the t5 ho was supposed to be for me and my peppers while the 4 t8 were for me and my wife to grow other things. I have taken over both and am still needing more room.... Today I just bought more t8s

Peppers List

White ghost chile
"Yellow" ghost chile --thank you sawyer
Orange thai pepper
Goat Weed
Jalapeño
7 pod brain
Scotch bonnet
Naga
Serrano
Cayanne
Red habanero
Chocolate habanero
Mini bell pepper
Various bell peppers

I had to keep myself today from buying some more pepper seeds since I do not have any Trinidad scorpions, Tabasco peppers, pepperoncini, or paprika peppers growing.

I think I am doomed.

I will post as my area overflows.

Yes, "doomed", I'd say. Doomed.
and :welcome:  

Looks like you got your bases well covered. I'd skip the Tobascos this year on account of it being late and those boogers take forever to ripen and both our zones are not the most pepper friendly.

I feel you man. This is my first year growing as well, and looking at getting more lights soon, to expand. My wife seems to be annoyed that I spend so much time fixating on my peppers. :)

looks like you're on the right track, welcome to the addiction :D

I have a dual addiction, peppers and aquaponics

looking forward to watching your grow

JJJessee said:
Yes, "doomed", I'd say. Doomed.
and :welcome:  

Looks like you got your bases well covered. I'd skip the Tobascos this year on account of it being late and those boogers take forever to ripen and both our zones are not the most pepper friendly.

Thank you, you are right. That way I don't have to encounter even more plants hooking since you cannot just plant one. I have 8 different red habs that are growing

OCD Chilehead said:
You know what that means. More T8s means, more plants, means more soil....... I got the fever too. Orange Thai? That sounds cool. Good luck with the madness.

Thank you. It is way too addicting. Yeah these orange Thai peppers all hooked within 5 days. I was heart broken having to thin them out. I of course bought way too many seeds so I can send some seeds your way if they turn out.

Peter S said:
I feel you man. This is my first year growing as well, and looking at getting more lights soon, to expand. My wife seems to be annoyed that I spend so much time fixating on my peppers. :)

My wife is the same way. She keeps asking if I have to go check on my "babies". It's bad that they are one of the first things I check in the morning and the last I see at night.

ikeepfish said:
looks like you're on the right track, welcome to the addiction :D

I have a dual addiction, peppers and aquaponics

looking forward to watching your grow
Thank you, being new I expect to make many mistakes. I will add pictures as my setup evolves. Aquaponics sounds very interesting. I can't imagine what challenges it brings

If you have some extra seeds that would be great. In return I'll send you a dozen or so Scorpion seeds I had left. Bought them from Duffy at Refining Fire Chiles. If interested send me a PM. Thanks.

OCD Chilehead said:
If you have some extra seeds that would be great. In return I'll send you a dozen or so Scorpion seeds I had left. Bought them from Duffy at Refining Fire Chiles. If interested send me a PM. Thanks.
Sounds great, pm sent. I have a crapload of seeds. They only came in sets of 200

Looking forward to seeing your grow.  I started with the superhots this year, although I had grown habs and jalapenos for years before.  It wasn't long before I had many varieties of supers in my garden, and now my cupboards and freezer are full of dried and frozen hot peppers.  Good luck to you, and I will watch your glog with interest!

ivplay said:
Looking forward to seeing your grow.  I started with the superhots this year, although I had grown habs and jalapenos for years before.  It wasn't long before I had many varieties of supers in my garden, and now my cupboards and freezer are full of dried and frozen hot peppers.  Good luck to you, and I will watch your glog with interest!

Thank you, that is my dream. I look forward to making powders and sauces and pickling some of the peppers. I plan to post pictures as they grow.

capsidadburn said:
Congratulations on your fine start.  Welcome to the fun!

Mike

Thank you very much. It seems to be a lot of fun. I spend far too much time with the plants.

Update on my plants.

I am learning that it seems to be a good idea to plant everything at once. That way all the plants are around the same level. The thai pepper ended up dying. Still not sure why, but I have another 4 or so growing so I am probably okay.

ic4j.jpg

yhmt.jpg

ueqz.jpg

uz0f.jpg

Update:

So my plants seem to be doing well. I discovered that the miracle grow soil is much better than the foxfarm happy frog soil. It was almost night and day. I thought that it might be a fertilizer issue, but even though I put in ferts , it still did not look as good as the others. I also had some beginnings of spider mite issues but I think I was able to control it

3q7m.jpg

q7ys.jpg

hcam.jpg

1oli.jpg

97n4.jpg

z9ii.jpg

1mbv.jpg

jik0.jpg

fcw9.jpg

There are some flowers for my wife and some herbs and onions scattered in there too. I am hoping that I have no more pest issues

Back