• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency Will a hot sauce thicken up as you let it sit?

lEwXnyV.jpg

This is a sauce I made this afternoon, using chocolate scorpions, and I believe scorpion morugas(forgive me, I'm still familiarizing myself with the varieties of peppers) peaches, tangerine juice, apricot preserve,agave, garlic, distilled vinegar, and some spices. The taste was really good. Sweet, but stings you around the lips and in the back of the throat. It's a little thinner than some of the other sauces I previously made. I plan on keeping it on the shelf for 2 weeks before I open it. Do you think it will thicken up a bit at that point? Some of you may be familiar with the name of the sauce as I'm a big Bloodsport fan haha.  

Yeah I didn't want to keep adding ingredients to it to further thicken it. I don't mind the thinner consistency. Right as I bottled it I would compare it to the consistency of some of the Heartbreaking Dawn sauces. I'll see how it develops over the next couple of weeks. 

Thanks for your thoughts everyone

Roguejim said:
Next time, fill your bottles more. It just looks better. The color is awesome!
Thanks for the tip. I was not very precise with it, as this is basically for my own personal use and for some family members. But you're right, I should always make it look better. Would you suggest using a metal baster to fill the bottles or do you think a regular baster will work with high temperatures?

The MadYeti said:
Thanks for the tip. I was not very precise with it, as this is basically for my own personal use and for some family members. But you're right, I should always make it look better. Would you suggest using a metal baster to fill the bottles or do you think a regular baster will work with high temperatures?
I'm the wrong guy to ask. I use an 8oz measuring cup w/ a lip, and a small funnel. It works for small bitches in the home.

Back