• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will I have puny plants and peppers?

Hi all,

I'm growing my first pepper garden this year containing cayennes (long slim), jalapenos, and gypsy peppers. I bought small plants - they were about 4" at the time - quite late in the season. That was about a month ago; now the cayennes and jalapenos vary between 6" and 9" tall. The buds keep flowering but I was picking them off in hopes of letting the plants grow taller.

I stopped doing that about a week ago as the first frost date is coming in September and I have no peppers growing on those plants. It's been fairly hot recently (25-30*C) and a heat wave is beginning. I water the plants every two or three days.

Now my question is: since my plants are so small and it's so late in the season, will I have tiny plants and peppers? Should I expect them to stay relatively small or will they grow to full height by September?

Thanks!

What size pots are they in? Or are they in the ground now? Depending on where they are, as long as you feed them regularly, and take good care of them, you SHOULD be able to get some peppers off of them.

They're in containers about 12-16" across. I honestly don't have any space for anything else so they're staying in pots.

That's plenty good size for annuums like you have. Just stop pinching the buds, and they'll be fine. I'm in NE. Ohio, and have what sounds like similar weather to yours. I started a number from seed in Jan/Feb/Mar, and also ordered some from CCN and picked up some from the local nursery. The nursery ones I just got last month, and they're putting out pods already since I did not pinch any buds. The pods are normal size.

Awesome! Well, not for long... my area is under a humidex (heat) advisory as it will be 30*C (86*F) or higher today. Will that damage my plants? What can I do to protect them?

Awesome! Well, not for long... my area is under a humidex (heat) advisory as it will be 30*C (86*F) or higher today. Will that damage my plants? What can I do to protect them?
Dang, 86F in Canada is considered a heat advisory? :rofl:

Didn't get a chance to watch the news tonight, but yesterday it was 110F here! :fireball:

No, it won't hurt your pepper plants - they like high temp's in the 80's. Just make sure to keep 'em watered.

Back