• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Will my Poblanos ever turn red?

It's mid-September in northern Virginia. Temps are dropping into the low 60's at night and reaching mid-80s during daytime. Will have some evenings in the 50's and some days in the low 90's for the next week or so.

I have two Poblano plants that have lots of fruit on them (yay!). Various sizes, but none quite big enough to harvest ... almost. However, I want to let a bunch of them turn red (Ancho) and dry them.

Poblano 21Sep2019.PNG

Yes, they were planted in a too-shady place and too close together. Rookie mistakes.

With the way the sun's path is changing, they don't get as much sun as they did earlier in the season (neighbor's house now blocks late morning sun).

My question: is there a point at which the peppers stop ripening because it's not warm enough? 

Bonus question: should I think out the foliage on the plants? Not what I'd call "dense," but not open enough for "a bird to fly through."

Any tips for maximizing harvest and ripening are appreciated!

Cheers

you just have to let them sit till either they turn red or first frost, whichever comes first. when do you usually get first frost? you should get some red ones and still have some green to harvest just before the frost hits. 

I want to save seeds from my poblanos, so I am waiting for them to turn red. Best I have so far are a brown color. Hope they are ripe enough to be viable. Does anyone know?

willard3 said:
Patience is a virtue in chile growing.

Unripe poblanos make great chiles relleno.

Es verdad! I am planning on harvesting many of the green poblanos for chiles relleno, poblano mac 'n' cheese, and poblano cream sauce. Having so many fruits on the plant is a blessing ... I'm going to leave those that are most mature now on as long as I can to see how many red ones result. If I get super-adventurous, I might have a go at mole!

I grew Poblanos last year. They take a long time to ripen. Like, baccatum-long.

This year, i grew mulattos instead. Basically, they're brown Poblanos. They take a long time to ripen, too, but not quite so long as last year's Poblanos did.

I planned my grow out much better this year, staggering plenty of early producers along with the mid- and late-producers. I tried doing that last year, but figured on Poblanos being early, bc they're annuums. They had fruit maybe mid-season, but the ripeness was late as hell.

Bicycle808 said:
I grew Poblanos last year. They take a long time to ripen. Like, baccatum-long.

This year, i grew mulattos instead. Basically, they're brown Poblanos. They take a long time to ripen, too, but not quite so long as last year's Poblanos did.

I planned my grow out much better this year, staggering plenty of early producers along with the mid- and late-producers. I tried doing that last year, but figured on Poblanos being early, bc they're annuums. They had fruit maybe mid-season, but the ripeness was late as hell.
Thanks, Streetwize ... glad to hear my slow ripeners aren't unusual. Since they spend a lot of their day in the shade now, I put a GE Grow Light on them for four hours a day ... we'll see if that has any effect.

Back