• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wilted plants

routine of each type of plant.

Bingo...frenzix hit one main factor...

I know this thread is about wilting being good or bad for your peppers, but I would like to throw in a tidbit of info that you may not have thought about...

Each growing media whether it is seed starting soil, potting soil, or just plain dirt will lose/soak up water at a different rate, so the frequency you water your plants may not be the best frequency for me... and, the larger the container, the less often you need to IMO...

the different type plants also play into the game too...chinense' grow slower than annuum's therefore you shouldn't put annuums and chinense in the same seed starting tray...one will need water and the other won't

weight was mentioned a little earlier and IMHO, weight of your containers is key to understanding when your plants need water...there is a "happy medium" between "light" and "heavy"....it just takes time to develop the feel for your pots...after a while, you can just lift the corner of a tray or tilt the container a little and you will be able to tell if they are thirsty...

Note for container gardeners: The soil on top of your container may be bone dry down an inch or so, and look dry too, but in the bottom of the pot, it can be very wet and this is a killer of a lot of plants...

as my signature says..."listen to your plants..."

***back to your regularly scheduled programming***

Hmm, I was talking about heat and drought tolerance rather than light. The only way to condition it for sunlight seems to be exposing it gradually to sunlight.

There is a process of watering the plants only just when they need it to encourage root development and eventually an overall larger root ball. The idea being that if the plant is well watered then it may not develop as many roots to seek water.

The plants here that are most tolerant of hot weather are those exposed to sunlight. On days of extreme heat though (38 °C) most plants need to be put in full shade. There is the odd variety here that can handle extremely hot weather such as the C. Baccatum Aji Cristal and C. Chinense Limón. One thing I'm looking for this season is plants that do well in extreme weather.

I found this past year how to deal with the extreme hot days and wilting if growing in containers - we had a record breaking summer this past year and the average temperature was 90.3F (32C), didn't have many days under 38C...most ran around 40C with a few above...I grow in 5 gallon nursery containers and I water three times a day...I run each section of my system 6 minutes, at 6a-12p-6p...since I am using 1 gph drippers, I can gauge the amount of water needed by the plants and control it using time the drippers are on....6 minutes is about 12 ounces (or a pint and a half)...even with this passed summer's record heat, I didn't have a huge problem with wilting...

I understand that if you are not set up with a irrigation/fertigation system you can't do this and is one reason I try and get people to set one up...once you get to plantout, the plants and auto watering system works wonders and saves you tons of time hand watering....and on top of that, if you are only growing a few plants it is really cheap to do...

And on top of everything else, this method is "green" and saves you water and money...

I found this past year how to deal with the extreme hot days and wilting if growing in containers - we had a record breaking summer this past year and the average temperature was 90.3F (32C), didn't have many days under 38C...most ran around 40C with a few above...I grow in 5 gallon nursery containers and I water three times a day...I run each section of my system 6 minutes, at 6a-12p-6p...since I am using 1 gph drippers, I can gauge the amount of water needed by the plants and control it using time the drippers are on....6 minutes is about 12 ounces (or a pint and a half)...even with this passed summer's record heat, I didn't have a huge problem with wilting...

I understand that if you are not set up with a irrigation/fertigation system you can't do this and is one reason I try and get people to set one up...once you get to plantout, the plants and auto watering system works wonders and saves you tons of time hand watering....and on top of that, if you are only growing a few plants it is really cheap to do...

And on top of everything else, this method is "green" and saves you water and money...

I agree with you AJ and I would totally do this if I had a lot of plants! but I will never be growing more then 9 plants, since I live in an apt. But if/when I won a home I intend on growing 20-30 plants!

AJ - Do you have a thread or any more info on this green irrigation/fertigation system?

Thanks.

Scott

Back