• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

wilting

Hey everyone!!

I know I'm in and out of this place, but my pepper plant has been just doing it's thing, and now I moved it (in it's container) outside. Here's the problem.....it's VERY hot today, pretty muggy (to me), and my plant's leaves are wilting. Should I bring it inside, or should I just let it be to get used to the "natural" environment? I don't want to kill it since I've had it going since last November!!

Thanks all! I hope everyone's peppers are doing great, and Brian.....I'll be by to see you because I have some questions on some seeds.

Thanks again,

Barbara

*edit - I did give it a nice drink of cool water after seeing the leaves looking so sad.

Sounds like it is just adjusting. The wilt can be from the heat and direct sun. As long as it has water there should be no issue.

Was wondering if you would be stopping by. I have extra plants here. No Yellow 7Pots, but I believe I have a Morouga Scorpion if you would like it. By next Sunday they will mostly all have been sold or given away.

Give it a little water like you did was the right thing to do. Also put it in the shade or bring it inside for awhile. If you are hardening off it is not a good idea to leave the plant out there in the hot sun for too long. I recommend an hour or so each day for the first week, then two hrs for the second week and so on and so forth. Remember plants can get sunburn easily too as well as wilting

Barbara,

I put my Jalapeño, and Fatali plants outside in the Vegas heat 4 days ago. The Fatali is a champ fighting through, but my jalapeños have wilted at times, once the direct sun is off of them they seem to suck up the water and stand back up. I took a look at them this morning and all seem to be doing well. I put them in a yard location where they get the cooler morning sunlight, and the few hours of western sunset.

It has been high 90's here for a week now and my plants leaves were wilting a bit but they would perk right back up at night. 2 days ago I put up a little sunshade cloth and there was no sign of wilting yesterday . It just took the edge off of the direct sunlight. I think in time they will aclimate to the weather but I suggest slow and easy.

Not to change the subject but being a new grower, I was wondering if pot color has anything to do with the wilting. Black pot versus lighter colored pot . The roots would get much hotter in a black container, wouldn't they? Does anyone shade the pot to keep it cooler?

The plant perked up by the end of the day (on the 13th)!!! :dance:

Here's my next question: I just threw the seeds into a pot way back in the fall, and they started growing. There are maybe 5 plants, all clustered close. When I re-potted them, the roots are so intertwined, I couldn't de-tangle them without breaking them. I have since read that if they are turning around (ie: swirling around the bottom of a pot that is too small), they will eventually choke themselves to death (this was in regards to a tree root ball that I was researching). The video I saw (again, about a tree with the swirling roots), said you should take a sharp knife or razor and cut down through the root growth and then spread out the roots when you re-plant. Should this be done to the yellow 7's I have?? Will it kill them if I cut through the roots? It seems to be doing fine, but it's not growing any taller or anything just yet, and I wonder if the growth is stunting.

Thanks all!

Brian, I am going to try to stop dow this coming week, I HOPE!

Also, are these pepper buds sprouting, or new leaves coming out? If they're buds, I might not transplant them, because I don't want to mess anything up.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/blforbes0309/Snapbucket/?action=view&current=EE0E6B02.jpg

http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/blforbes0309/Snapbucket/?action=view&current=03892112.jpg

you are brave im to scared to put my plants out side the sun or the dogs would wipe out what i have been working on for months.

good luck with your plants

They look like buds coming in. Was good to see you at the yardsale. Feel free to give me a call when you are ready to split the plants up. Won't take long and will help your yield.

Back