• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2013

Finally got me some lights and a heat mat...

lightstand1.jpg

lightstand2.jpg

The trays are the self-watering Burpee 32-cell type..Hopefully they will maintain more consistent moisture levels.

This is what I sowed:

C. chinense
MoA Scotch Bonnet (STEVE954), 6
Madame Jeanette (Meatfreak), 6
Bahamian Goat (FadeToBlack), 6
NagaBrain (romy6), 8
Trinidad Scorpion, 4
7 Pot Yellow, 8
Cumari do Para (capsidadburn), 8
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (Spicegeist), 4
Chupetinha, 4

C. annuum
Doux Tres Long des Landes (Meatfreak), 6
Poblano, 8
Zapotec Jalapeño, 12
Chiltepin, 8
California Wonder, 4
Chilhuacle Rojo, 8
Thai Garden Birdseed, 4
Ashe County Pimento (kentishman), 4
Kitchen Pepper (Datil), 4

C. baccatum
Aji Amarillo, 8

There are a few spots still open. Probably will sow NuMex 6-4 and some Morouga, because people are asking for it....

Those are some beautiful plants and photo's you've taken, Gary. I hope they all produce well for you but with this head start things can't go wrong now! Have a great easter.

Yup! The prices can't be beat...Bring your own flatbed and we'll load you up! Hours are 12 to 4 in the am... :cool:

Need some 4-1/2" well casing?...Makes great coping!

Looking good Gary. Can't wait to see the domes of earth come to life again like last season

What kind of well casing is that for Gary?? Water wells I assume with that diameter??

Hey Gary, I'm trying to send you a PM. Hope'n to give you something.

Hey Ray! I love me some gifts! No PM yet...

Looking good Gary. Can't wait to see the domes of earth come to life again like last season

What kind of well casing is that for Gary?? Water wells I assume with that diameter??

Thanks Trippa! The beds will all be primo this year...no more shortcuts!

We operate a "stripper" gas field in NW Louisiana...It's a very old, shallow field originally drilled by Gulf and Texaco back in the teens and 20s. The gas sand is only 700 feet deep, but it's 20 feet thick and very "tight", meaning it gives up its gas slowly...Nobody's getting rich here, but it's a living. Anyway, we don't use the big casing any more, as we have found we get better production from 2-7/8" casing with no tubing string...

We do build water wells, but we normally use PVC pipe for that...Water wells are a whole 'nother animal...

Thanks for stopping by!

I am in the petroleum industry as well wind chicken. We are usually between 650 and 2000 metres TD deviated wells. Back home in New Zealand they are usually between 3000-5000 metre TDs . Is your resovoir suitable for fraccing?? (Dirty word among many)

Brother, when I hit the "SEND" button, it says you cannot receive PMs.

Oops, sorry about that Ray...I need to delete some stuff from by inbox...

I am in the petroleum industry as well wind chicken. We are usually between 650 and 2000 metres TD deviated wells. Back home in New Zealand they are usually between 3000-5000 metre TDs . Is your resovoir suitable for fraccing?? (Dirty word among many)

Cool! You are an operator or work for a service company? I would love to hear more....

We're a real small operation...Five employees total...85 stripper wells...There are 5 pay zones in the field, between 700 and 6000 feet...(not counting a deeper shale zone which we farmed out) Most all of the wells are in the shallowest zone, and yes, it has to be fracked to get a decent flowback. As you know, however, fracking is very expensive, and the little wells won't justify the cost of a contract service like Halliburton, so we had to come up with our own poor-boy fracking system...Another learning process that we eventually got through...

Our frac jobs are real light, by the way. The formation breaks down at around 750 psi, and we only pump about 500 lbs of sand, just enough to let the gas find its way to the well bore...

I don't really understand all the shouting around fracking, and I'm an old-school hippy...As long as you have good cement and good pipe, there's never a problem. We're very careful to never take short cuts, either.

The only thing that concerns me is the big companies' practice of pumping away the drilling fluids just below the surface pipe...Our state regulatory agency is very careful not to allow that where it might be a problem, but I don't think they should ever do it...

I work for a fairly big (although not huge like BP or shell etc) 2500-3000 employees exploration company. I work in a CSG unconventional greenfield currently in one of the implementation teams. Not the most popular industry here at all though so I don't bandy it about unless I know the people I am talking to

I am a hippy at heart as well. The big controversy here is the fracking and drilling through brine aquifers ... most people think aquifers and immediately think artisian fresh water but the main aquifers in question in our field is a very saline one. No good for drinking or irrigation. However some people don't like facts getting in the way of a good story.
Don't get me wrong big companies need to prove the safety and keep the safety of their processes at the top of their lists if they want to reap the huge profits

Cool! The technology they're using on those type of wells is amazing to me...Comparing one of them to our operation is like comparing a lunar landing to the Wright brothers' first plane...

People love to hate on the oil companies, but anyone who drives a car or flips on a light switch shares some of the responsibility for everything they do....In the U.S.A. we seem to think that cheap gasoline and electricity is a birthright!

Beautiful plants! Lush green leaves and the previous page ... wow mon, great job! Regarding the pool, wait till he finish cleaning it and it dries. Invite him to meet you at a local spot for lunch on you, after he leaves home call him on cell and tell him you're running late but remind him again to have a few beers on you, hehehe ... I'm sure you already figured the rest, enjoy!

Thanks Brah! Them babies are quite a bit larger since that pik was snapped....The Zapotec and the Aji Amarillo are especially vigorous...

My neighbor filled his pool back up last weekend...I had all kind of schemes to skate the thing, but there was always someone at the house...His daughter never seems to leave... :mope:

I've been out of the loop for the last week or so fighting my first in-the-grow-room infestation of BLS...I have never seen it this early, but I think it will ultimately be a good thing because I won't have to fight it later when the plants are large and bearing fruit...Anyway....No More Coir Pellets For Me! I'm starting in nitrogen-rich grow medium from now on....

A quick shot this morning of my fastest-growing chinense plants, the Bahamian Goat Pepper. The seeds were sent to me last year by THP member FadeToBlack after he saw a pik in my glog of my JungleRain-version Goats (seeds by way of capsidadburn)...I took this pik this morning to show FTB how his Goat babies were doing...Haven't seen him around here since last summer, hoping maybe this will jog his enthusiasm a little:

goat3.jpg

Hey Gary,
Brent sent me some Goat seeds also...to add to my "Cappy" selction. Your plants look like they're ready to branch out. I dig the taste of those peppers...some of them resemble the "bonnet". Dam, I hope they weren't a cross between an Orange Hab and a Yellow Scotch Bonnet......lol
I sent Brent an PM awhile ago,no response though, his plants would be trees by now, if they're still growing...

Hey Greg!

Either version of the B. Goat are formidable plants...My JR-version plants produced many "cup-and-saucer" shaped pods, so I'm guessing they are closely related to the Scotch Bonnet, but if they had both forked from a common stock on their genetic migration across the Caribbean would it not have the same apparent outcome as SB crossing with Orange Hab? Either way, it's a very unique pod, with the "sugary" inner flesh, and one of the most robust and vigorous chinense peppers I've grown...on the same level of vigor as Trinidad Scorpion or 7 Pot Yellow...I need bulletproof plants like that!

I sent Brent a PM with the above pik this morning...I hate to lose a good grower, especially one who resides in the actual Caribbean!

Ramon,

I really don't like to use fungicides, because they always seem to damage the plants and the fruit, but BLS sometimes makes the decision for me! If the plants are big and robust and the BLS is in the very early stages, I just jack 'em hard with Liquid Miracle Grow—The full recommended dosage, but once a week rather than the recommended once every 2 weeks. Plants with dark green leaves seem to be immune to BLS. If the plants are small or sickly, especially if there appears to be root damage from the BLS, I resort to copper fungicide—2 tablespoons per gallon, spray every 4 or 5 days...The heavily-spotted leaves will yellow and fall off—There's no saving them. What the copper does is slow down the BLS long enough for the plants to recover (hopefully) from the disease. The copper I use has a little NH4 (ammonia) in it, so the plants also get some foliar nitrogen along with the application...

I buy that stuff at Home Depot. I've also use Daconil, which works the same way, but copper seems more natural to me, and I think it's more effective...

Back