• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2013

Finally got me some lights and a heat mat...

lightstand1.jpg

lightstand2.jpg

The trays are the self-watering Burpee 32-cell type..Hopefully they will maintain more consistent moisture levels.

This is what I sowed:

C. chinense
MoA Scotch Bonnet (STEVE954), 6
Madame Jeanette (Meatfreak), 6
Bahamian Goat (FadeToBlack), 6
NagaBrain (romy6), 8
Trinidad Scorpion, 4
7 Pot Yellow, 8
Cumari do Para (capsidadburn), 8
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (Spicegeist), 4
Chupetinha, 4

C. annuum
Doux Tres Long des Landes (Meatfreak), 6
Poblano, 8
Zapotec Jalapeño, 12
Chiltepin, 8
California Wonder, 4
Chilhuacle Rojo, 8
Thai Garden Birdseed, 4
Ashe County Pimento (kentishman), 4
Kitchen Pepper (Datil), 4

C. baccatum
Aji Amarillo, 8

There are a few spots still open. Probably will sow NuMex 6-4 and some Morouga, because people are asking for it....

Nice Gary! Can't wait for some fresh garden pods..must be wonderful to be able to pick some heat right now!

Thanks Shane! ....Thanks for helping me remember to be grateful! :P

Went back and read everything. Very nice ... enjoyed your food shots thrown in a lot. Show's how you'd use a certain type of pepper.

After reading this your Ja Habanero type sounds good . I enjoy fruity scented peppers. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Bahamian Goat pepper. I love and hate hearing people describing the taste of pepper . Sometimes they sound just like a pepper I should grow !! But hate that because I can't grow everything.

Peace,
P.Dreadie

Wow, thanks for doing that PD! Those Red Hab plants are entering their fifth season, still bearing fresh pods as I type this...So yeah, plenty of bang for your buck there! And, as I said above, the Goat is one insanely productive plant, with pods like no other...

Haha! I'm glad you like my pepper words...Every now and again some good ones come to me... :cool:

It's a continual lesson in acceptance for me that there's just not enough summers in a lifetime to grow all the awesome peppers out there! We should all be independently wealthy and have 40-acre gardens in rich, fertile river valleys!

Amen to that :D that's exactly how most growers feel I imagine.

Preach on Brotha Stefan!

And the breeders just keep coming up with even more exciting varieties every year...Can you guys just take a break for a while and let us growers catch up with you already! :surprised:

I'm growing a lemon drop this year just for that reason PD.

Great plant! Be ready for lots of sprawling branches. Tomato cages work well...Good luck with your grow!

I just had to post this pik of my happy Naga babies in the nursery this morning (seeds from romy6).

"Can we please go outside now?"

Not yet, but soon!

naga1.jpg

Cool, thanks! I would have planted a larger population, to increase the odds of getting a true-producing plant....but then I over-extended myself once again before I knew what had happened! Probably out of 4 individuals one of them will be good....

Yeah, I'm curious to see how different from each other they'll be... theoretically, they should all be very distinct...

Yeah, I'm curious to see how different from each other they'll be... theoretically, they should all be very distinct...

And all real tasty, considering their progenitors...This is how the biggest one looks tonight:

bonda_x_y7.jpg

Hey Gary! How's the Jambalaya (On the Bayou)?

Hi Steve! I woulda loved some Jambalaya tonight, but we had Domino's instead....Here's a pik of the biggest MoA baby, just now:

moa1.jpg

And the breeders just keep coming up with even more exciting varieties every year...Can you guys just take a break for a while and let us growers catch up with you already! :surprised:

Actually, this will be my first year at attempted pepper breeding. So far I've worked on winter grains and cover crops and cold- and heat-/drought-hardy vegetables.

Actually, this will be my first year at attempted pepper breeding. So far I've worked on winter grains and cover crops and cold- and heat-/drought-hardy vegetables.

Wow! Now you've really piqued my interest...You've got some crosses going?

Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, "MoA" my-oh.
Me gotta go pole the pirogue down the bayou.
My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me-oh my-oh
Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the bayou! -Hank Williams

Lookin' good bud! They'll be in-ground in no time!

Now that song is stuck in my head....Thanks a whole lot Steve! :cool: Any guy who digs Hank Sr. must be okay...

You may not know it but he had a bit of history in my town. Back in the 1950s he played Shreveport regularly, at the Louisiana Hayride, down in the old Municipal Auditorium, which is still standing, and is better-known for being the venue that gave Elvis his start. Every Hayride show was an KWKH radio broadcast, heard all across the South, back before there were FCC regulations on transmitter power...

During that time he married a Shreveport girl, Billy Jean Jones, who after Hank's death married another Hayride legend, Johnny Horton. She lived in my neighborhood for a long time, and I went to school with their daughter...

Your seedlings are looking really healthy, Gary. Look at that green color, great job! How's the rest doing :D

Thanks, oh Garden Master! Your Doux Tres Longs are obnoxiously huge and constantly bumping the light bulbs. And the Madame Jeanettes are obscuring their neighbors with their shade! Pix soon!

Gary that SB MoA looks great, I'm well behind you and mine's in da sun ... great job on all dem!

Thanks Ramon! Probably because they're getting 16 hours of light per day....

I'm feeling this spring weather...Is there a swell running today?

... ... Thanks Ramon! Probably because they're getting 16 hours of light per day....

I'm feeling this spring weather...Is there a swell running today?
Whoa 16 hours makes them jump up mon, hehe "jump up" sounds like a soca song to me, [09:57] * @WalkGood »» FB2K ::: Byron Lee & the Dragonaires - Soca Frenzy - 08 - Jump Up ::: 0:17/4:01 (••••••••••) ::: 345 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Small swell, not big enough for me, possibly later today or tomorrow one may hit or so they say. Lots of paddle boarders been out but ... for now you can look here to see how small near me :( That said, I'm sure there's something coming in further up coast but I won't be going up for this one. If it does hit here I'll be on it ^_^

Wow! Now you've really piqued my interest...You've got some crosses going?

For peppers, I'm just now developing some ideas to try. For the grains/cover crops, I have several strains each of rye, oats, wheat, barley, canola, vetch selected for specific applications and I'm letting them freely interbreed to develop landraces and selecting for the best winter performance (while maintaining the other desired characteristics). For the vegetables, I'm just saving seeds from the best performers (i.e., cold/heat/drought tolerance). Basically, nature is doing the breeding and I'm doing the selecting.

Edited for clarity and to improve awkward wording (a smidgen).

Thanks, oh Garden Master! Your Doux Tres Longs are obnoxiously huge and constantly bumping the light bulbs. And the Madame Jeanettes are obscuring their neighbors with their shade! Pix soon!

No, no, Gary. I'm just your humble follower :D Good to hear the Doux tres Long is being a good boy and the Jeanettes being naughty already. Had a 100% germ rate on them as well. Most of the seedlings over here are already getting their first set of true leaves. If things keep up like this it's gonna be a great season, then I heard the weather forecasts. The :censored: are saying the expect frost until the half of May! Normally it's already around 12°C this time of year. Hopefully they are wrong (like usual).

Gary, your sarts look great! Should be about time for you to commit some of those overwinters to their new soil home. We've had several mid 30 lows and a couple below 32 in the last few weeks. My OW's have been out through all of that just covered on the colder nights. I put five in a raised bed last week that I had ammended and ready. I hope to get another bed done this weekend but it's kind of wet.

Maybe I can get a few pics in soon.

Later Mike

Whoa 16 hours makes them jump up mon, hehe "jump up" sounds like a soca song to me, [09:57] * @WalkGood »» FB2K ::: Byron Lee & the Dragonaires - Soca Frenzy - 08 - Jump Up ::: 0:17/4:01 (••••••••••) ::: 345 kbps «« ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Small swell, not big enough for me, possibly later today or tomorrow one may hit or so they say. Lots of paddle boarders been out but ... for now you can look here to see how small near me :( That said, I'm sure there's something coming in further up coast but I won't be going up for this one. If it does hit here I'll be on it ^_^

Fun tune, Ramon! It's on my iPod now...

Seems like paddleboarding is the new trendy watersport...Maybe someday it will cycle back around to Hobie Cats...

For peppers, I'm just now developing some ideas to try. For the grains/cover crops, I have several strains each of rye, oats, wheat, barley, canola, vetch selected for specific applications and I'm letting them freely interbreed to develop a landraces and selecting for the best winter performance (while maintaining the other desired characteristics). For the vegetables, I'm just saving seeds from the best performers (i.e., cold/heat/drought tolerance). Basically, nature is doing the breeding and I'm doing the selecting.

Edited for clarity and to improve awkward wording (a smidgen).

Cool, Sawyer. I would love to grow grains...I need to check out your grow....

Everything is lookin awesome man! Good job!

Thanks Jamison! And thanks for looking!

No, no, Gary. I'm just your humble follower :D Good to hear the Doux tres Long is being a good boy and the Jeanettes being naughty already. Had a 100% germ rate on them as well. Most of the seedlings over here are already getting their first set of true leaves. If things keep up like this it's gonna be a great season, then I heard the weather forecasts. The :censored: are saying the expect frost until the half of May! Normally it's already around 12°C this time of year. Hopefully they are wrong (like usual).

Haha, thanks Stefan! I appreciate the kindness, but you are being way too modest.

The annuums have now overgrown the light stand...For the last three days I've been transporting 2 or 3 trays at a time to the office in the country, where they will live on south-facing window ledges until plant-out time.

Hey Gary, nice looking babies!!!!! Spring is almost here across the border! You going to put your plants out over Spring Break?

Yeah, Chewi, I believe we may have had our last freeze. Almost all the annuums are ready to go in the ground, but the ground's not ready yet! I've got a busy few days coming up as I prepare the beds....

Gary, your sarts look great! Should be about time for you to commit some of those overwinters to their new soil home. We've had several mid 30 lows and a couple below 32 in the last few weeks. My OW's have been out through all of that just covered on the colder nights. I put five in a raised bed last week that I had ammended and ready. I hope to get another bed done this weekend but it's kind of wet.

Maybe I can get a few pics in soon.

Later Mike

Thanks Mike! Yeah, plant-out time is getting real close. I've never set anything out in March, but this could be the year....

As usual, I've over-sown again this year, and potting-up has resulting in quadrupling the space required for all the plants, space which does not exist inside my house...Below are the babies who have made the 30-mile trip south from the light stand nursery at home to the window-ledge nursery at work:

Zapotec Jalapeño:

zapotec3.jpg

Onza:

onza2.jpg

Aji Amarillo (Peppermania):

amarillo1.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo:

chilhuacle1.jpg

Back