• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2013

Finally got me some lights and a heat mat...

lightstand1.jpg

lightstand2.jpg

The trays are the self-watering Burpee 32-cell type..Hopefully they will maintain more consistent moisture levels.

This is what I sowed:

C. chinense
MoA Scotch Bonnet (STEVE954), 6
Madame Jeanette (Meatfreak), 6
Bahamian Goat (FadeToBlack), 6
NagaBrain (romy6), 8
Trinidad Scorpion, 4
7 Pot Yellow, 8
Cumari do Para (capsidadburn), 8
Bonda ma Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (Spicegeist), 4
Chupetinha, 4

C. annuum
Doux Tres Long des Landes (Meatfreak), 6
Poblano, 8
Zapotec Jalapeño, 12
Chiltepin, 8
California Wonder, 4
Chilhuacle Rojo, 8
Thai Garden Birdseed, 4
Ashe County Pimento (kentishman), 4
Kitchen Pepper (Datil), 4

C. baccatum
Aji Amarillo, 8

There are a few spots still open. Probably will sow NuMex 6-4 and some Morouga, because people are asking for it....

Awesome blast from the past picts Gary! Thanks for sharing them.
I started skating in 84, and never quit. I still ride when im up for it. My back is done so not able to do as much. My boy, who is 18 skates so im still vested. Im guilty of flipping my board, but a backyard ramp it where i always wanted to be. Bombing hills never gets old! Not that many ditches here in Ga, but we have had a few good ones over the years. Carve grind slash.

[sup][sup]How is things growing in the bayou, Gary?!![/sup][/sup]

Hey Steve! I know you didn't mean it literally, but Bayou Pierre and Mile Bayou, the two streams that drain my neighborhood, are full up to the banks, so the ground is nice and saturated. The rain and warm weather have really brought out the weeds, and I spent most of the weekend dealing with them. I've been getting the big country garden ready for planting, that is, the rows that needed to be rebuilt....I only ever built one of those 50-foot rows properly, so it needs very little preparation, but the other two long rows that I intend to plant need to be tilled down to the hardpan to remove the Bermuda runners....It's tedious, physical labor, but deeply gratifying....

The starts at home are doing well. There are 6 plants from 6 cells sown of the MoA Bonnets. Almost everything is popping at 100% germination. I can't believe how fast the NagaBrains popped, by the way...faster and more thoroughly than even the Trinidad Scorpions, which seem to grow almost like weeds here. I am now a huge believer in grow lights and heat mats! Pix soon...

Love the old skate pics! When I was about ten years old there was a sick half pipe way back in the woods near my house. In this area you had to keep skate ramps hidden from the cops back then. On any given day in the summer there would be a crowd of twenty or so kids watching people wipe out on that half pipe. It was there for about 5 years til the cops found it and burned it down. I wonder why there was such a crack down on kids skating ramps. I think it made skating more exciting for us though.

Haha thanks! It's so cool to meet other rats from back in the day!

My buddy Damian had a ramp like that in the woods of Morehouse Parish. We called it "The Vine" because there was a big buck vine that hung down over the platform...We would grab it and swing way out over the woods...That ramp had a big transition and 2 feet of vertical...I was so scared to drop in on it, but one day Damian's girlfriend yelled up at me "You're only coming down from there one way, and it's not by the ladder!" All the guys were watching, so there was nothing else to do...I didn't wipe out, and that was that...

Damian ripped so hard. This is him on my little half-pipe (the coping was 7 feet above the flat) we built at my house in Monroe, Louisiana, when I lived there in the mid-80s:

26893_1252836964296_3472885_n.jpg

He was going to go pro, but messed up his back in the late 80s...He and his son came by my house at Christmastime, and left with a big sack of Yellow 7s...

I know what you mean about it almost being more fun when skating was outlawed...I could share more stories about that, but I'll save them for later!

Awesome blast from the past picts Gary! Thanks for sharing them.
I started skating in 84, and never quit. I still ride when im up for it. My back is done so not able to do as much. My boy, who is 18 skates so im still vested. Im guilty of flipping my board, but a backyard ramp it where i always wanted to be. Bombing hills never gets old! Not that many ditches here in Ga, but we have had a few good ones over the years. Carve grind slash.

Thanks Dude! Another style rider....SWEET! Are you still bombing? What do you ride for that? My hill skate is an old Powell General Issue (8" x 28") with Indy 99s and Red Kryptonics C70s (78 durometer). I love to get going really fast on a real smooth hill, tuck way down low with my butt almost on the grip tape, and carve into a frontside bert, no hands. Letting the wheels break loose on their own rather than forcing the slide....Man it's so good to find kindred spirits here! Do we need our own sub-forum?

Gary very cool mon! I miss dem days ... we did the same before pools, mostly drainage ditches and some mighty fine ones to boot. Thanks for sharing! If I eventually replace my broken scaner, I have loads of pre-digital cam pics ... sure wish we had these cams back then.

Cool Ramon! I'm looking forward to the pix!
Thanks but I don't think scanner is in near future, don't need one as much as before but would love to have all those old pics in digital so sooner or later I will have to. How's dem MoA's doing on your end? All mine are pop'd 6/6 but one helmet might not make it, the helmet from hell, lol. 3 have second set of wings and last 2 are getting over the surgery shock, hehe.

6 for 6 here, too. I had to do a little helmet removal, too, on the MoAs, but it was over real quickly....

I'm a few weeks behind most of the growers here, or so it seems. Just now getting first set of true leaves on most of my sprouts. Almost time to start with the foliar nitrogen...

Scanners are dirt cheap now.

We have boxes upon boxes of old prints to be scanned...Seems like I'm always waiting on that mythical rainy Saturday to get all that stuff done....

Just read through all this. Good looking operation, but I gotta ask, what is your germination mix? It looks like chile powder.

Ima sidetrack you once more. Funny skateboarding throwback pics. We built a half-pipe out of old "vote for blah-blah" signs back in the day. I saved up forever and bought the coolest board ever.............A Caballero. They had the awesome dragon on the bottom with a somewhat batman logo all over it.

I'm a legend in my own mind!

Do you have any Madame Jeanette seeds left over? I'm looking for some.

All I've got are two seeds of AAA quality, from Meatfreak in Holland.

Madame Jeanette was my first variety to pop, days before any of the annuums, at 100% germination rate.

If you want 'em PM me your mailing address:

jeanette_packet.jpg

Just read through all this. Good looking operation, but I gotta ask, what is your germination mix? It looks like chile powder.

Thanks! The package on the Burpee "Super Growing Pellets" say that it's coconut fiber...

Ima sidetrack you once more. Funny skateboarding throwback pics. We built a half-pipe out of old "vote for blah-blah" signs back in the day. I saved up forever and bought the coolest board ever.............A Caballero. They had the awesome dragon on the bottom with a somewhat batman logo all over it.

I'm a legend in my own mind!

Oh dude, I love stories like that! Thanks! Yeah, and building materials...well....we couldn't afford to actually buy them, could we? Looking back, I think most skate punks had more guardian angels than they could ever imagine!

The Cab was such a cool deck...I always wanted the little street version they called the "Mini-Cab."

Post all the skate stuff you want in my thread! This is one of many little street ramps we built back in the day. This one was at my brother's house in Mansfield, Louisiana. The cops wouldn't let us put it out in the cul-de-sac, so we put it at the very end of the driveway, and laid a sheet of plywood by the side so we could do these little acid drops. The deck was a Powell/Peralta Ray "Bones" Rodriguez model with Indy 151s and Powell Mini-Cubics. I loved that skate so much...kind of heavy, but absolutely bulletproof:

valvista.jpg

Awesome man. I wasn't around to skate in them days but I did skate for 12 years. You would have been what we called old school. My best friend back in the day now rides for Beer City, Autobahn wheels, and I Path shoes. He's insane. It hurts to skate now and I'm only 27. Good luck with them MoA's. Seems everyone is getting damn near 100% germ rates on those. I'm just waiting for one more to pop and I'm 6/6. Good seed!

Cool, thanks! I'm old, all right...but I'm still here! :cool:

It looks like the mighty THP nation will be awash in excellent Scotch Bonnets this season, thanks to our boy Steve!

Good luck with your grow! Years from now you can tell your grandchildren that you were one of the original growers of the legendary MoA Scotch Bonnet... :P

and helped revive them!!!
Cool, thanks! I'm old, all right...but I'm still here! :cool:

It looks like the mighty THP nation will be awash in excellent Scotch Bonnets this season, thanks to our boy Steve!

Good luck with your grow! Years from now you can tell your grandchildren that you were one of the original growers of the legendary MoA Scotch Bonnet... :P

Hi Stefan! Glad to see you back!

If you haven't read about it elsewhere on THP, the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture Scotch Bonnet (MoA for short) came to us from THP member STEVE954 in Fort Lauderdale. The story of how he wore the people at the Ministry down until they finally agreed to give him some of their seeds is better told by him, but it is a testimony to perservernce for the greater good of the chile head community and evangelism for one of the world's great agricultural treasures, the True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. (Please take a moment of reverent silence now. I'll wait.)

Any of us here who has dreamt of growing and enjoying the legendary Scotch Bonnet in the form which gave it its fabled mystique knows the frustration of working all season long only to end up with peppers which fall far short of their expectations. The Ministry has apparently been working for 10 years to return the quality of the seed stock to its historical excellence, by season after season successively selecting seeds for the attributes which gave the Scotch Bonnet its reputation in the first place...

I don't know how many THP growers there are nurturing MoA Bonnets as I type this, but there are several, and their skills and care are considerable. Very many of us are visualizing huge, verdant bushes loaded with tennis-ball-sized, cup-and-saucer-shaped, four-lobed yellow pods of Caribbean ecstasy...

If you haven't read about it elsewhere on THP, the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture Scotch Bonnet (MoA for short) came to us from THP member STEVE954 in Fort Lauderdale. The story of how he wore the people at the Ministry down until they finally agreed to give him some of their seeds is better told by him, but it is a testimony to perservernce for the greater good of the chile head community and evangelism for one of the world's great agricultural treasures, the True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet. (Please take a moment of reverent silence now. I'll wait.)

Any of us here who has dreamt of growing and enjoying the legendary Scotch Bonnet in the form which gave it its fabled mystique knows the frustration of working all season long only to end up with peppers which fall far short of their expectations. The Ministry has apparently been working for 10 years to return the quality of the seed stock to its historical excellence, by season after season successively selecting seeds for the attributes which gave the Scotch Bonnet its reputation in the first place...

I don't know how many THP growers there are nurturing MoA Bonnets as I type this, but there are several, and their skills and care are considerable. Very many of us are visualizing huge, verdant bushes loaded with tennis-ball-sized, cup-and-saucer-shaped, four-lobed yellow pods of Caribbean ecstasy...

EPIC explanation! Well wrote my friend! I now bow my head in silence. :pray:

Must say(tear'n up a bit), Well said ol' chap!

Back