• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

Spicegeist said:
Wow, great shots!  Looks like your grow is coming along nicely...

Thanks Charles!

Trippa said:
Those Naga brains look amazing ! One day I will have to get my hands on some to grow here ... Is the scotch brain in your grow anywhere Gary? I think it was Greg (Pic1) who I saw had it last season ... Looked as amazing as the Naga brains. Speaking of which where is Greg(Pic1) this season? Or have I just missed his glog ?

Thanks Trippa! Don't forget to remind me to send you NagaBrain seeds. When do you germinate?

It seems like maybe Stefan (meatfreak) sent me seeds for Scotch Brain, but I have no room for any more stabilizing grows right now, so they never got sown…I was under the impression that was his cross? To be honest, I'm not very familiar with it…Stefan's seeds are of first rate, excellent quality, and I'm sure that pepper is amazing...

I don't know what the hay with Greg. I have not seen hide nor hair of him. He is missed, to be sure...

Cheers Gary!!
My germination time is coming up June/July as I will need a good head start in my new growing climate hence the early start ...Summer isn't until December officially... But it is a much cooler/wetter climate then where I was. I think you are correct on those scotch brains being stefans cross ... I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was but knew Greg grew some. I hope Greg is ok and is just to busy to post!

windchicken said:
The DeSoto Parish garden is looking better than it has in a long time. I've built one of these 50-foot RCW beds per year, starting in 2012, and it's finally starting to pay off. There's a little cleaning up and planting to do in the far left (newest and not truly RCW construction) bed, then it will be planted out. Visible in the photo are 4 beds (left-to-right): the in-ground perennial SmiterQ Texas Pequins (only 4 plants), next are the New Mexico Chile, then the NagaBrains, and the fourth bed is 7 Pot Primo. Barely peeking out from behind the shade tent, in the 18-foot Executive Bed, are the Mississippi Scorpions:

desoto_may19.jpg

The prodigious NagaBrain Yellow (f2) were the first to set pods, and lots of them, way before the plants that went in the garden earlier than they did:

NB_ylw_may19.jpg

MAN LOOKS JUST LIKE MY YELLOW NAGABRAINS . NICE GGGGGGGGGGGMAN 

Trippa said:
Cheers Gary!!
My germination time is coming up June/July as I will need a good head start in my new growing climate hence the early start ...Summer isn't until December officially... But it is a much cooler/wetter climate then where I was. I think you are correct on those scotch brains being stefans cross ... I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was but knew Greg grew some. I hope Greg is ok and is just to busy to post!

Well, hell, dude it's time to get you some NagaBrain seeds! You want all three colors?

romy6 said:

MAN LOOKS JUST LIKE MY YELLOW NAGABRAINS . NICE GGGGGGGGGGGMAN 

:P  :dance:  :P

DUDE!!! SWEET!!!

How in the hay is an F2 variety so stable? Not complainin or nuthin….

coachspencerxc said:
All looks good here. 'm growing the Chocolate Nagabrain I got from a seed train. What generation is the chocolate on? Thanks.

Oh, cool Rick! Thanks for growing it! If those seeds you have are from last year's grow, you should be growing f3 plants. I'm excited to see how they do!

I have some chile head friends in Charlotte, by the way…I don't know if they're growing NagaBrain Chocolate or not. I'll ask….

Trippa said:
Those Naga brains look amazing ! One day I will have to get my hands on some to grow here ... Is the scotch brain in your grow anywhere Gary? I think it was Greg (Pic1) who I saw had it last season ... Looked as amazing as the Naga brains. Speaking of which where is Greg(Pic1) this season? Or have I just missed his glog ?
windchicken said:

Thanks Charles!

Thanks Trippa! Don't forget to remind me to send you NagaBrain seeds. When do you germinate?

It seems like maybe Stefan (meatfreak) sent me seeds for Scotch Brain, but I have no room for any more stabilizing grows right now, so they never got sown…I was under the impression that was his cross? To be honest, I'm not very familiar with it…Stefan's seeds are of first rate, excellent quality, and I'm sure that pepper is amazing...

I don't know what the hay with Greg. I have not seen hide nor hair of him. He is missed, to be sure...
I did send you the seeds yes but it's not my cross. Greg sent me a few F1 seeds 2 years ago and I helped him growing it out, spreading it globally :)

I've spoken with Greg earlier this year, from what I remember he told me he would take a couple of steps back from growing this season. Had construction projects this season and told me he wouldn't keep a glog this year. Also goes on vacation to other countries so I can understand that a large grow would be more difficult. I'm sure if you send a PM he will reply with some delay perhaps :)

Trippa this is my first and only ripe pod from the scotch brain f2... before the plant snapped.. I got 2 cuttings to root and somehow managed to get this pod to ripen

It looked like it wouldve made tons of pods. Had tons of flowers and half had set. Too bad mother nature.took it away from me..anyhow. carry on

meatfreak said:
I did send you the seeds yes but it's not my cross. Greg sent me a few F1 seeds 2 years ago and I helped him growing it out, spreading it globally :)

I've spoken with Greg earlier this year, from what I remember he told me he would take a couple of steps back from growing this season. Had construction projects this season and told me he wouldn't keep a glog this year. Also goes on vacation to other countries so I can understand that a large grow would be more difficult. I'm sure if you send a PM he will reply with some delay perhaps :)

Thanks for clearing that up (both things), Stefan. It's awesome that Greg is doing that….I would love to take a growing season (or two) off so I could take sailing vacations again…Maybe if I built up a two-year-supply of dried chiles, frozen purée, and escabeche.  :P

KiNGDeNNiZ said:

Trippa this is my first and only ripe pod from the scotch brain f2... before the plant snapped.. I got 2 cuttings to root and somehow managed to get this pod to ripen

It looked like it wouldve made tons of pods. Had tons of flowers and half had set. Too bad mother nature.took it away from me..anyhow. carry on

Thanks KD! Now I'm thoroughly intrigued by this pepper! :dance:

windchicken said:

Thanks for clearing that up (both things), Stefan. It's awesome that Greg is doing that.I would love to take a growing season (or two) off so I could take sailing vacations againMaybe if I built up a two-year-supply of dried chiles, frozen purée, and escabeche.  :P

windchicken said:

Thanks for clearing that up (both things), Stefan. It's awesome that Greg is doing that.I would love to take a growing season (or two) off so I could take sailing vacations againMaybe if I built up a two-year-supply of dried chiles, frozen purée, and escabeche.  :P

Great looking pepper Gary!!!

mpicante said:
Great looking pepper Gary!!!

Thanks so much Florisa, but it's not mine…Apparently the Scotch Brain is the creation of Greg Moroz, THP screen name "PIC 1," a legendary grower, saucier, and chef, and a super nice, generous guy.

Update on my sixth-year, oak-chips-and-river-clay "Pilot Bed" this morning. This bed has never been fertilized, not even with manure, worm tea, or other "organic" products. All the nutrients in this soil are the products of the RCW forest-soil-building process.

On the left are seven f4 plants of Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the brainchild of THP breeding genius Spicegeist. On the right are 7 plants of the excellent Bhut Orange Copenhagen:

pilot_bed_may28.jpg

This is one of the very first pods of my f4 population of NagaBrain Red, the weapons-grade, post-apocalyptic mutant offspring of Florida grower and International Chile Televangelist Romy6:

f4_nb_red_2.jpg

windchicken said:

Thanks so much Florisa, but it's not mine…Apparently the Scotch Brain is the creation of Greg Moroz, THP screen name "PIC 1," a legendary grower, saucier, and chef, and a super nice, generous guy.

Update on my sixth-year, oak-chips-and-river-clay "Pilot Bed" this morning. This bed has never been fertilized, not even with manure, worm tea, or other "organic" products. All the nutrients in this soil are the products of the RCW forest-soil-building process.

On the left are seven f4 plants of Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow, the brainchild of THP breeding genius Spicegeist. On the right are 7 plants of the excellent Bhut Orange Copenhagen:

pilot_bed_may28.jpg

This is one of the very first pods of my f4 population of NagaBrain Red, the weapons-grade, post-apocalyptic mutant offspring of Florida grower and International Chile Televangelist Romy6:

f4_nb_red_2.jpg
Dang that pod looks gnarly! Plants are looking great. Getting me excited about finally getting pods this year!!!

Everything looks amazing.

Thanks for the info on the naga brains. I've got all three growing and didn't have much info on them. The chocolate I got from seeds harvested from pods I got from Mike Hess last summer. Meathead was awesome enough to send me seeds for the red and yellow this year. Not sure of the generations of them.

romy6 said:
  You guys are way  too generous and G you are way to humble . You deserve all the credit for nagabrain brother :)

I appreciate that more than you can know, Brotha J. :dance: Although I have lavished much love and care on the NagaBrain, it was the happy energy around your crib that brought this cross into being.  :P

ThePepperTrent said:
Dang that pod looks gnarly! Plants are looking great. Getting me excited about finally getting pods this year!!!

Thanks PT!

Scorched said:
Everything looks amazing.

Thanks for the info on the naga brains. I've got all three growing and didn't have much info on them. The chocolate I got from seeds harvested from pods I got from Mike Hess last summer. Meathead was awesome enough to send me seeds for the red and yellow this year. Not sure of the generations of them.

Thanks Tony! I'm excited to see how your NagaBrains turn out, and thanks so much for helping to grow it!

Back