• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

windchicken 2015

It was from my own inaction that I missed so many of my awesome THP friends over most of last season…I will not lie, it's much more convenient to post pix—and do just about anything—on that other very popular social media site, but there's no place there to maintain a grow log…Those of you who have not fallen prey to that particular internet time-waster of which I speak and have remained loyal to THP have my greatest love and respect…I pledge today to maintain this glog throughout the complete 2015 grow season! 

Last weekend (January 10 & 11) I sowed most of my C. chinense seeds: 4 x 18-cell trays, 72 x 3" wide cells. The sprouting medium is Fafard Super Fine Germination Mix. The light stand is Harris Seed's "8 Tray 2-Tier Combo", which includes a 4' x 2' heat mat and a light timer. New this year is a DeLonghi radiant heater to drive out the cold drafts in this spare bedroom. Everything else is the same as last year. 

As far as varieties sown this year, I agonized over a couple of "dream" lists during the fall, and obsessed over a nice spreadsheet in the week preceding this sowing, but I couldn't settle on a firm "assemblage" of super hot varieties. So I waited until the last minute (after the soil was already in the trays) and went with my gut. This is what I sowed:

7 Pot Primo (pepperlover.com), 18
7 Pot Primo (Primo's Backyard Select) 9
Bonda Man Jacques x 7 Pot Yellow (F4), 9 (Spicegeist's wonderfully hot and flavorful marriage of 2 yellow Caribbean classics)
Baby Barrackpore (F3), 9 (my favorite of the 3 phenotypes of Spicegeist's Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore)
NagaBrain Red (F4), 9
NagaBrain Chocolate, Tmudder Strain (F3), 9
NagaBrain Yellow (F2), 9

chinense_trays_2015.jpg

Hey, Gary, I'm glad the powders served you well.  I really enjoyed both plants
last year - the yellow NagaBrain far outproduced the red plant in my grow last
year, as well.  

Oral surgery is no fun; been there, done that! I hope you are recovered from that.

rghm1u20 said:
Is ok, my friend, here and there I also delayed my promises... I was more interested if the seeds I sent, reached you. Hope so...

Thanks so much….I'm fairly certain I never got seeds from you. I'll check to be sure when I get home from work, but I don't think so….

PaulG said:
Hey, Gary, I'm glad the powders served you well.  I really enjoyed both plants
last year - the yellow NagaBrain far outproduced the red plant in my grow last
year, as well.  

Oral surgery is no fun; been there, done that! I hope you are recovered from that.

Thanks—I'm doing much better  :P

Chewi said:
Say Gary, when are you starting your others? THAT is also an impressive germination station. I'm thinking of ordering their beginner's light stand lol!!

Hey Rob! Thanks! I will sow the C. annuum seeds around February 1. There are also a couple of C. chinense varieties yet to sow, as well...

I did the windowsill germination thing for 5 years, with the slow-growing, leggy plants….Then I finally bit the grow-light-&-heating-pad bullet last year. It really made a huge difference in the size, bushiness, and general robustness of my transplants. However, now I find myself wishing I had bought the 12 or 16 tray stand instead of the 8 tray size. When I pot up from 2" containers to 5" the space requirements quadruple, and the 8-tray stand gets too small real fast. That's why I'm starting in the larger 3" containers this year. Hopefully I can make it all the way to plant-out time without potting up.

Hey Scott! I'm stoked about your grow this year…How's that RCW working out for ya?

So far so good! I bought a chipper last year and now I run the RCW through it before putting it in the garden. It reduces the size by roughly 75%. It's been really nasty here since late December, but later this week it's supposed to get "normal", so I'll start going to the county lot. Goal is 24 yds ;)

Devv said:

So far so good! I bought a chipper last year and now I run the RCW through it before putting it in the garden. It reduces the size by roughly 75%. It's been really nasty here since late December, but later this week it's supposed to get "normal", so I'll start going to the county lot. Goal is 24 yds ;)

Sweet! If you don't mind my asking, which chipper did you buy?

meatfreak said:
Here's to an great season, Gary  :cheers: Your absolutely right about that time consuming thingie ;)

Lol, thanks Stefan! A great season to you, as well. I wonder if FB would keep going if we left it?  :rolleyes:

windchicken said:
Thanks so much….I'm fairly certain I never got seeds from you. I'll check to be sure when I get home from work, but I don't think so….
Please check, because I have sent the seeds to you on Nov.,11,2014, same time when I've sent to Tom (Kentishman), and he received the seeds.
I have PMd you the tracking number, RN912068486RO. You can check on your USPS system. They say the package was in New York, Garden City, Tulsa, and arrived in Shreveport Nov.,22,2014. Please let me know if arrived to you, or maybe check with your postal office. If not arrived, I'l have to fill a complain here.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:

Thanks KD! Good luck with your grow!

rghm1u20 said:
Please check, because I have sent the seeds to you on Nov.,11,2014, same time when I've sent to Tom (Kentishman), and he received the seeds.
I have PMd you the tracking number, RN912068486RO. You can check on your USPS system. They say the package was in New York, Garden City, Tulsa, and arrived in Shreveport Nov.,22,2014. Please let me know if arrived to you, or maybe check with your postal office. If not arrived, I'l have to fill a complain here.

Thanks Adrian. Sending you a PM right now….

windchicken said:

Sweet! If you don't mind my asking, which chipper did you buy?

I bought this beast:

http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/chippers/chipper-shredders/csr-shredder-14-50-fpt-b-s-ms-pro.axd

That pic, when you put small stuff in the shredder chute you just drop it in, and whoosh! It's chips. If you hang on, it will jerk on your arm. I have 4 truck loads of bagged leaves waiting to be shredded, I already did 3, and once chopped up the pile would be half a 6 foot pickup bed if that.

I had some trees that died and needed to be processed, all the scraps after splitting, mostly bark and really small pieces were thrown into the chipper hopper. The fall pull up of the plants went through the chipper, no problem. I do warn, if there's peppers on the plants it will hurt as they are atomized :D
I did  a lot of research, and what I liked about this unit was the heavy bearings and flywheel, along with a stout power plant. I wish I had bought one 10 years ago!

Thanks Andy! Manzano is my absolute favorite of all chiles. I can only buy them occasionally in the Mexican markets along the Gulf Coast, and I never believed I could get one to produce in the brutal Louisiana climate. This is better than Christmas for me  :P

Congrats on the hooks and ripening manzano Gary! Meant to message you on fb this week but work ended up being insane, couldn't get those manzano's I got from the Mexican store out to you as they started going bad overnight. Will be going back either Monday or Tuesday, so hopefully they'll have some fresh ones in stock.

That's cool, Chris. I figured you were real busy....Maybe after a while I'll have enough to send you some. :cool:

I picked you some Tepins today...They'll go in the mail Monday

Good to see the babies coming on, and 7 days is just perfect!

And a Manzano! I still have one plant going, left it out in 28° and it didn't blink. Maybe, just maybe, it will flower and set before the heat comes on.

Keep it green my friend!

Back