• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken 2016

For the last couple of years my season has finished up after the subsequent season had already started…I sowed my 2016 seeds last Saturday, but my 2015 Chile Manzano are just now bearing ripe fruit, 3 days later. Is it worth waiting over a year after sowing to get ripe fruit from these plants? HELLZ TO THE YEAH!!! Only the best chile in the world!!!

Manzano_Jan12.jpg

:drooling:
DesertRoots said:
Well done, the whole place is full of health.  You definitely put in lots of quality work.  Really unique genetics too!

Thanks DR!

Datil said:
You don't need ornamental varieties when superhots look like yours... Everything looks perfect Gary!

Datil

Lol, you are so kind, Fabrizio! Thanks! How is the new house?

OCD Chilehead said:
I don't mind the Dropbox.

Stellar garden Gary. Nice podage.

Nagabrain looks amazing as well as the other pods.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Chuck! 

stickman said:
Dude! You've got a forest there... very nice! Have you tasted any pods from the de Arbol crosses yet?

Thanks Rick! The de Arbol cross, or "Bayou Bob's Pequin," as I am calling it, is a real unique pepper...I would even call it weird. The ripe pods are so soft and juicy that they remind me more of ripe tomatoes than anything else. They are literally little bags of tasty, fiery red juice and seeds...I think they would be ideal for making a particular fresh salsa like the one my cuñada makes with Texas Pequin: She crushes the ripe pods in a molcajete and adds some salt. That's it. And it's freaking amazing...Okay I'm drooling right now just thinking about that salsa!  :drooling:

windchicken said:
Lol, you are so kind, Fabrizio! Thanks! How is the new house?

Gary, you deserve it!

The bulk of the work is ended at my new house, so i can concentrate a little more on my hobbies :D
My season started VERY late because the move (i sowed as late as May!). Here's a couple shots for you:

Bhut Jolokia OM (nursery)

SmiterQ Pequin (from your seeds!), this one will probably be overwintered but i've still some months and i hope for an autumn harvest!

All the best

Fabrizio

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Always amazing to watch your grow turbotax from seeds to pod.

Wow, thanks Denniz!  :dance:

Genetikx said:
I already clicked one link to get into your glog, now I need to click another one? Lol

Oh snap, that was worth it!

How'd you get basil to grow like that?

Lol, thanks so much Gene! The basil is growing in forest soil, a mix of chipped hardwood branches (RCW), the native earth, and time. That's all. Nothing else has been added except water. If you are interested I'll point you to some good information on forest soil...

Datil said:

Gary, you deserve it!

The bulk of the work is ended at my new house, so i can concentrate a little more on my hobbies :D
My season started VERY late because the move (i sowed as late as May!). Here's a couple shots for you:

Bhut Jolokia OM (nursery)

SmiterQ Pequin (from your seeds!), this one will probably be overwintered but i've still some months and i hope for an autumn harvest!

All the best

Fabrizio

Wow, thanks for the great pics, Fabrizio! Your plants look very happy in your new home!

moruga welder said:
everything looks great my friend !  Hows the Bonda Mahalas ?  heat / flavor .  they look like they would be a good snacker .     :onfire:

Thanks Frank! I'm a bit biased, but I think Mahala is one of the best-tasting of all peppers...The heat level, I'm guessing, ranges on either side of Bhut/Naga strength, less so this time of year when I'm watering heavily, quite a bit more so later on when the extreme Louisiana heat passes, and they really reach their full potential...

OCD Chilehead said:
That last pic is great. I can imagine it framed on my wall. Lots of fruit. Enough for you and the birds. LOL

Wow, that's quite a compliment, Chuck! Thanks so much! :dance: 

The pods shown in that photo are probably 2-3% of what's out there...It's just that close-ups make for much better photos, especially with these small podded varieties....
BOC_aug6.jpg

windchicken said:
Thanks Rick! The de Arbol cross, or "Bayou Bob's Pequin," as I am calling it, is a real unique pepper...I would even call it weird. The ripe pods are so soft and juicy that they remind me more of ripe tomatoes than anything else. They are literally little bags of tasty, fiery red juice and seeds...I think they would be ideal for making a particular fresh salsa like the one my cuñada makes with Texas Pequin: She crushes the ripe pods in a molcajete and adds some salt. That's it. And it's freaking amazing...Okay I'm drooling right now just thinking about that salsa!  :drooling:

Very cool cross Gary! It reminds me of an unplanned cross I got a couple of years ago between a King Naga and a Tabasco. The pods were twice the size of a normal Tabasco and looked vaguely like the Naga, but your description of little bags of tasty, fiery red juice and seeds was spot on. They made a great Louisiana-style hot sauce when fermented with sweet white wine and salt, then finished by cooking to stop the ferment and added rice vinegar to lower the pH and make it shelf-stable. I still have a pint of it in the 'fridge that I use for Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice. :drooling:  Unfortunately, I didn't get those genetics from the seeds I saved from the cross. Oh well... it's hard to hit a moving target, eh?
Beautiful shots of the Smiter-Q Pequins! +1 on Chuck's comments. I don't think they'd readily volunteer this far north, but think you'd be interested in a seed swap for some of those? I'd purely love to grow them next year and save the seeds for successive years! Nice pics of the BOC too... Your plants must love the climate in the NW corner of Louisiana! Pretty sandy soil there too as I remember, but the water table was very close to the surface. Have you gone hunting for "Mud Bugs" lately? ;)

stickman said:

Very cool cross Gary! It reminds me of an unplanned cross I got a couple of years ago between a King Naga and a Tabasco. The pods were twice the size of a normal Tabasco and looked vaguely like the Naga, but your description of little bags of tasty, fiery red juice and seeds was spot on. They made a great Louisiana-style hot sauce when fermented with sweet white wine and salt, then finished by cooking to stop the ferment and added rice vinegar to lower the pH and make it shelf-stable. I still have a pint of it in the 'fridge that I use for Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice. :drooling:  Unfortunately, I didn't get those genetics from the seeds I saved from the cross. Oh well... it's hard to hit a moving target, eh?
Beautiful shots of the Smiter-Q Pequins! +1 on Chuck's comments. I don't think they'd readily volunteer this far north, but think you'd be interested in a seed swap for some of those? I'd purely love to grow them next year and save the seeds for successive years! Nice pics of the BOC too... Your plants must love the climate in the NW corner of Louisiana! Pretty sandy soil there too as I remember, but the water table was very close to the surface. Have you gone hunting for "Mud Bugs" lately? ;)

Thanks Rick! Your Naga/Tabasco cross is certainly compelling...It's also interesting how readily C. frutescens seems to cross with chiles of other species...And that Louisiana-style hot sauce sounds perfect!

If you like, last year I air-dried some of those SmiterQ pods at room temperature, to ensure viability of the seeds...But I don't mind going down to the garden and picking you several hands full of fresh pods, either...They need to be picked badly, as you can see by the photos!

For some reason BOC seems to really flourish here, which seems unlikely considering where they were bred, but then again both of the parent varieties are from very warm climates...

As for the soil in the Red River Valley, or any other river valley, it really depends on what part of it one is considering (Hope you don't mind my geeking out on alluvial geology for a bit): The grain size of the sediments decreases, generally, with increasing distance from the main channel. The land right next to the river is the highest in the valley, and is quite sandy. My home is at the very western edge of the valley, a couple of miles from the river, so what we have here is very dense, sticky, dark-reddish-brown clay. When we first moved here I bemoaned my poor choice of real estate, but after I built my first clay-and-RCW (shredded hardwood) beds, I realized that this is really wonderful soil, very rich in minerals compared to sand, which is chemically inert, and light and porous from the addition of the wood chips and the constant re-working by the earthworms. The worms really love the forest soil, and my beds are basically worm palaces. Never mind worm tea or castings, those dudes are producing more than one could possibly imagine, right there in the beds where the chile plants live....

You may have heard me speak of RCW soil elsewhere, I don't know. If you are interested to know more, let me know...

Trident chilli said:
Love the SmiterQ pods great to have a variety that self seeds .. one less job to worry about

I know, right, John? Free chile plants for life, as long as one is willing to pick weeds. What could be better than that?  :dance:

Back