• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Windchicken Grow 2012

Looks like I'm getting a late start again this year...Should be setting seeds to sprout in the next few days....Anyway, here's the order I made from Beth this morning. It's not really my complete grow list, because I'm planting lots of saved seeds (from my 2011 Grow and from trades with my THP friends) for the first time this year. Also, I don't know that I will plant everything from this order, but I am excited about some of the new varieties:

Peppermania%205Jan2012.jpg

Absent from the above list but going in the ground this year:
Trinidad Scorpion
Congo Trinidad
True Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Thai Chile (Garden Bird Seed variety)
Nambe Pueblo
Birgit's Locoto

Several bird types from THP friends, including, but not limited to (because I can't remember them all right now):
Texas Chiltepin
Prik Ki Nue
Siling Labuyo
Cumari do Para

Edited 1/9/2012 to add the following:

Last minute order from Hippy, plus some other trades I had forgotten about:
Yellow 7 Pot
Douglah
Malagueta
Pusa Jwala

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the Aji Amarillo en Holanda, that is awe inspiring! How I wish I lived in a climate more conducive to growing Peruvian ajies (Or I wish I had that kind of indoor set up...) I'm going for Oaxacan chiles this coming year, maybe they will tolerate the extreme summer weather better? The Aji Limo, and Pinguita de mono were mostly unfazed by the hot weather though (but not the Panca, amarillo, and rocoto, my absolute favorites).

40 degrees here in the Valley....cold everywhere.

Very nice season Gary. Bet the dogs are enjoying the cooler weather.

Thanks Rodney! I was real lucky to make it all the way to mid-December. This morning it got down to 28ºF at the house...The Cal Wonders looked pretty busted up, so yeah, it's over now, and time to start planning 2013, the year of the tasty, medium-to-mild-heat chiles!

The dogs are loving the cool for sure, especially Charlie.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the Aji Amarillo en Holanda, that is awe inspiring! How I wish I lived in a climate more conducive to growing Peruvian ajies (Or I wish I had that kind of indoor set up...) I'm going for Oaxacan chiles this coming year, maybe they will tolerate the extreme summer weather better? The Aji Limo, and Pinguita de mono were mostly unfazed by the hot weather though (but not the Panca, amarillo, and rocoto, my absolute favorites).

True dat! The photos from that Dutch grow house are just mesmerizing. I like the way they train the plants along those strings, like tomatoes. I hope I can grow Aji Amarillo successfully without climate control, however...

I'm with you on the Oaxacan varieties, and my country garden gets HOT. This year I will definitely be growing Zapotec Jal, Chilhuacle Rojo and Chilhuacle Negro. Maybe one more Mexican seasoning type...probably Mulato.

I have often thought that the Aji Amarillo would make a great plant
for training on wires due to it's vine-like nature. I second everyone's
observations about them not liking summer heat; mine looked pretty
droopy all summer. Once the weather cooled in late August and Sept.
they started flowering and setting pods quickly. They have been very
tolerant of the low 40's we've had which surprised me (the Peppermania
plants.) My tall peruvian didn't like it so much, but did ripen a few. The
bushy aji loves the greenhouse. I really hope I can get that variety going
well. No seeds from that one yet, but will let you know when I get some.

I went out on a limb and recently ordered the Oaxaca collection from ecoseeds (Chilhuacle Rojo/Amarillo/Negro, Costeno Rojo/Amarillo, Chile de agua, and Chiltepec(I think a De Arbol type named after the city of origin?). I am most excited about the De Agua, hopefully the seeds are legit. I'm growing the Zapotec Jalapeno from now on as well. So yeah, heavy on the mild/medium/good flavor side here too.

I have often thought that the Aji Amarillo would make a great plant
for training on wires due to it's vine-like nature. I second everyone's
observations about them not liking summer heat; mine looked pretty
droopy all summer. Once the weather cooled in late August and Sept.
they started flowering and setting pods quickly. They have been very
tolerant of the low 40's we've had which surprised me (the Peppermania
plants.) My tall peruvian didn't like it so much, but did ripen a few. The
bushy aji loves the greenhouse. I really hope I can get that variety going
well. No seeds from that one yet, but will let you know when I get some.

It's a cool plant for sure. And real compelling to me, for some reason. My Dad tells me there was a great-great-great grandmother from Peru...

I went out on a limb and recently ordered the Oaxaca collection from ecoseeds (Chilhuacle Rojo/Amarillo/Negro, Costeno Rojo/Amarillo, Chile de agua, and Chiltepec(I think a De Arbol type named after the city of origin?). I am most excited about the De Agua, hopefully the seeds are legit. I'm growing the Zapotec Jalapeno from now on as well. So yeah, heavy on the mild/medium/good flavor side here too.

Sounds like a real nice seasoning mix. Have you used ecoseeds before?

"It's a cool plant for sure. And real compelling to me, for some reason. My Dad tells me there was a great-great-great grandmother from Peru..."

Cellular genetic memory!

Sounds like a real nice seasoning mix. Have you used ecoseeds before?

Part of the "out on a limb" is the fact that I have not used them before, BUT several of the books/articles I have read in regards to chiles mention them as a source for rare seeds, and they have been around for awhile, and I haven't heard any complaints other than the fact you have to pick up the phone or use snail mail to order, as well as the whole trademark variety controversy. But anyway, it's a good deal if legit (100 seeds per packet!), however I won't know until growout. My gut tells me not to worry. The De Agua is used most often as a fresh green/roasted chile but can also be used as a seasoning pepper after ripened and dried, it is also compact and prolific according to some sources...sounds like my kind of chile!

Gary-
Thanks for the Naga Brains-great cross! I got hijacked on my time off, and using a secure data port...so no THP time, can't empty the messages from my IPhone, so I couldn't send any messages either.If we don't freeze at the house , I should have another pull next trip home;)

"It's a cool plant for sure. And real compelling to me, for some reason. My Dad tells me there was a great-great-great grandmother from Peru..."

Cellular genetic memory!

Thanks! I like to think so anyway!

Part of the "out on a limb" is the fact that I have not used them before, BUT several of the books/articles I have read in regards to chiles mention them as a source for rare seeds, and they have been around for awhile, and I haven't heard any complaints other than the fact you have to pick up the phone or use snail mail to order, as well as the whole trademark variety controversy. But anyway, it's a good deal if legit (100 seeds per packet!), however I won't know until growout. My gut tells me not to worry. The De Agua is used most often as a fresh green/roasted chile but can also be used as a seasoning pepper after ripened and dried, it is also compact and prolific according to some sources...sounds like my kind of chile!

It sounds cool to me...I'm betting you will be real happy them; and I like the big quantities. Have you ever tried Native Seeds/Search? It looks real cool, I've always wanted to try them...

Gary-
Thanks for the Naga Brains-great cross! I got hijacked on my time off, and using a secure data port...so no THP time, can't empty the messages from my IPhone, so I couldn't send any messages either.If we don't freeze at the house , I should have another pull next trip home;)

Glad you liked them Dave! I figured you were real busy...

This is my last vid of the season. I added a little clip after the Bonda Ma Jacques bed. The plants shown herein were toasted by the frost last night:

all i have to say is WOW.... i am growing BONDAs as well.. so prolific... wow.. woow wow.. glad to see the grubs didnt last in your yard.. i hope...just make sure u did once in a while as they can OW as welll....

Haha! Thanks Denniz! No overwintering for the Bondas this year...They were all in the ground, and the frost has now wiped them out....

Have you ever tried Native Seeds/Search? It looks real cool, I've always wanted to try them...

I have purchased seeds from them before (but not chile seeds). They are generous with seed counts. I have come very close to buying chile seeds from them multiple times. (The Coban, Chiltepin, and Ordono always get my attention!) If only my patio was bigger.....(I rent, so I can't put the pots off the patio)

Man, there's just not enough summers in one lifetime to grow all the awesome chiles out there, never mind all the other stuff!

I'm especially intrigued by their native tobaccos. I wore out my gums dipping Copenhagen, so I can never use it again, but even so there's something real compelling out it....

Man, there's just not enough summers in one lifetime to grow all the awesome chiles out there, never mind all the other stuff!

I'm especially intrigued by their native tobaccos. I wore out my gums dipping Copenhagen, so I can never use it again, but even so there's something real compelling out it....

Yeah. I am always intrigued by growing and rolling my own, even though I don't smoke (smoked a pipe for awhile), but then I read about the curing process, and I'm like...uh, no time for that crap. And then I realize it's bad for me anyway. lol.

Hi Gary,

I read through your whole season's glog in two nights.
Just like last year, I think you have one of the most magnificent grows on the forum! :dance:

I am glad to see that at least one of the seeds I sent to you grew into a nice plant. It looked quite robust, and I am also glad you have saved seeds from that plant. I am not sure why the seeds I shared with you, Mike, and Rodney grew two different plants. They came from the same pepper hedge. I am wondering if perhaps another pepper was growing among the pequin, or if the original mother plant was a cross? This is a photo of the mother bush. I hope next year more grow true for you.

http://i676.photobuc...ov72011x800.jpg

Personal stuff has kept me away from my new hobby in 2012, but am looking forward to growing from seed for 2013. I too enjoyed seeing the photos of the pups, especially Charlie! May your holiday season be full of cheer and some heat! :P

Gary cool video !
So many pods, thats just plain unbelievable... those Bonda's are stoked up well,.....nice touch with the "trip wire" guard dog sound effects to stop any pepper stealing intruders..................hah
You will have a "Red and Yellow" Christmas.............who needs a white one....

Yeah. I am always intrigued by growing and rolling my own, even though I don't smoke (smoked a pipe for awhile), but then I read about the curing process, and I'm like...uh, no time for that crap. And then I realize it's bad for me anyway. lol.

There's a tobacco unique to Louisiana, grown from pre-Columbian native American times, and then from French colonial times and still processed by the ancient method, in St. James Parish, in the Mississippi valley (right down the road from Vacherie, home of THP member brian2112). It's called Perique, and is so dark and potent that is must be blended with a drier leaf to even stay lit. It was used in the old weapons-grade New Orleans cigarette brand Picayune. Back in the day I bought Perique tobacco here in Shreveport and mixed it with a Swedish cigarette tobacco for hand-rolled cigarettes....If you were a hard-core pipe tobacco guy, you probably know about Perique already. Anyway, I believe there's only about 40 acres or so of it in production any more. Here's a good article, with photos:

http://pipesmagazine...que-of-perique/

Nice vid, Gary. To bad the frost burned them all down :( Maybe the stems will make new growth next spring like your other plants did this year? :D

Thanks, Stefan! It could happen, but to be honest, the re-sprouts grew more slowly than the newly sprouted plants. They bore boatloads of fruit, finally, in October, but never reached over about 2 feet in height. The newly-sprouted Scorpions all reached 6 feet, in containers!

Hi Gary,

I read through your whole season's glog in two nights.
Just like last year, I think you have one of the most magnificent grows on the forum! :dance:

I am glad to see that at least one of the seeds I sent to you grew into a nice plant. It looked quite robust, and I am also glad you have saved seeds from that plant. I am not sure why the seeds I shared with you, Mike, and Rodney grew two different plants. They came from the same pepper hedge. I am wondering if perhaps another pepper was growing among the pequin, or if the original mother plant was a cross? This is a photo of the mother bush. I hope next year more grow true for you.

http://i676.photobuc...ov72011x800.jpg

Personal stuff has kept me away from my new hobby in 2012, but am looking forward to growing from seed for 2013. I too enjoyed seeing the photos of the pups, especially Charlie! May your holiday season be full of cheer and some heat! :P

Wow, Brian, thanks so much! It's SO good to see you back here! We were all wondering if you would be back...Thanks so much for the photo of the mother Piquin. You should know that I am overwintering the one plant that grew true fruit, so even if the seeds don't grow true, I will still have the one plant. I love those fiery little nuggets of Texas joy! By the way, my co-workers enjoyed the pods from the other plants...They were like soft, miniature Jalapeños...

Thanks for posting and thanks for coming back to the THP! I'm looking forward to hearing from you in 2013!

Gary cool video !
So many pods, thats just plain unbelievable... those Bonda's are stoked up well,.....nice touch with the "trip wire" guard dog sound effects to stop any pepper stealing intruders..................hah
You will have a "Red and Yellow" Christmas.............who needs a white one....

Haha! Thanks Greg! That's my wife's long-haired Chihuahua...He has a tiny girlfriend on the other side of the fence, and that obnoxious barking is the form their courting takes. I almost don't hear it anymore. Almost...

In the old pecan orchard behind the house there lives a pack of coyotes, among other things (bobcats, too, and lots and lots of cottontails). The only time we are aware of them is when it turns real cold and they do that coyote yelping thing. It's so freaking cool...Maybe I can get a video of it.

Back