• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Windchicken's Big Bonnet/7Pot?

Back in 2011 Windchicken and I traded some seeds and pods, this year I was able to get his on my grow list.  Check these out, what do you guys think these are?  Windchicken, do you have any idea what these could be a cross of?

Gary( aka windchicken ) ,  correct if I am wrong but a few years back he sent me some scotch bonnets with a tail that look'd just like that . I am a betting they are one in the same  ;)

Not a cross just an anomaly  :party:

There was discussion about it tasting just like the Yellow CARDI Scorpion if I remember correctly. I grew the "scorpion bonnets" right along with the CARDI that year. Have some old pics somewhere. AT work now.

capsidadburn said:
There was discussion about it tasting just like the Yellow CARDI Scorpion if I remember correctly. I grew the "scorpion bonnets" right along with the CARDI that year. Have some old pics somewhere. AT work now.
You're right, I found this:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/14532-the-official-yellow-scorpion-cardi-grow-thread/page-6
I just tasted one of them and it's very citrusy smelling and the taste is a lot like a scotch bonnet.  I was expecting the heat to be on the scorpion level and it isn't, it's definitely got some good heat, much like the yellow jamaican scotch bonnets I grow every year.  I'll be over wintering these plants for sure, they're very tasty! 

Mmm, looks a lot like the Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow to me. Not to crush your idea of an new cross.

Yeah the CARDI aren't so hot like an regular Scorpion. I love them.

meatfreak said:
Mmm, looks a lot like the Trinidad Scorpion CARDI Yellow to me. Not to crush your idea of an new cross.

Yeah the CARDI aren't so hot like an regular Scorpion. I love them.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what they were.  I hadn't heard of the CARDI before, I love it if that's what it is.  

Thanks so much for posting this, Tim! It's great to know you are still around and growing!  :dance:

To cut to the chase scene, as I remember it, I do believe the final consensus was that those plants were CARDI Yellow Scorpion. This photo is from my 2011 grow:

P7050005.jpg

Those seeds came from a packet I purchased from a commercial vendor labelled "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet". Of the 12 plants I grew out from those seeds, 2 produced the so-called "Scorpion Tail Bonnets" (At the time I knew no better what to call them). I can't remember who finally identified them as CARDI Yellow Scorpions, but they were truly wonderful peppers—huge, bright yellow pods with a wonderfully unique aroma and flavor, as the others have commented here. Besides that, the plants were considerably more robust and productive than their row-mates, the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.

Your plants and pods are beautiful! Very nice work!

And thanks so much for sharing those Giant Red Habanero seeds with me…I wrote "Tim S." on the plant tags, but I could never figure out who you were on THP. I feel like I've found a long-lost friend.  :P And those were the most insanely huge, fleshy Habaneros I've ever seen, like red, fruity Bell Peppers...

Gary

windchicken said:
Those seeds came from a packet I purchased from a commercial vendor labelled "Jamaican Scotch Bonnet". Of the 12 plants I grew out from those seeds, 2 produced the so-called "Scorpion Tail Bonnets" (At the time I knew no better what to call them). I can't remember who finally identified them as CARDI Yellow Scorpions, but they were truly wonderful peppers—huge, bright yellow pods with a wonderfully unique aroma and flavor, as the others have commented here. Besides that, the plants were considerably more robust and productive than their row-mates, the Jamaican Scotch Bonnets.

Your plants and pods are beautiful! Very nice work!

And thanks so much for sharing those Giant Red Habanero seeds with me…I wrote "Tim S." on the plant tags, but I could never figure out who you were on THP. I feel like I've found a long-lost friend.  :P And those were the most insanely huge, fleshy Habaneros I've ever seen, like red, fruity Bell Peppers...

Gary

I've been around, just don't post much, but I get a ton of amazing info about growing on this forum, and the amount of seed/pod trading that has taken place is remarkable, you guys and gals are truly generous folks with great hearts.

I got those huge Caribbean Reds from a guy at a farmers market in VA, he said he "smuggled" them in from Jamaica.  I couldn't believe how much bigger and tastier they were than regular Caribbean Reds, and they definitely had a bunch of heat, great for making red sauces.  Here's a pic of them from back in the day, regulars on left, big boys on right.

svfd1118 said:
Back in 2011 Windchicken and I traded some seeds and pods, this year I was able to get his on my grow list.  Check these out, what do you guys think these are?  Windchicken, do you have any idea what these could be a cross of?

Nice looking plants and nice looking dog.

parker49 said:

Nice looking plants and nice looking dog.

Oh thanks very much, your two look really cool too, pit and a cross pit?  I made the mistake of "showing" my pups where the bell plant was, since then there's not one pepper on the plant.  After they raided that one, they moved on to the peperoncini plant, then the cucumbers.  They're good buddies!

svfd1118 said:

Oh thanks very much, your two look really cool too, pit and a cross pit?  I made the mistake of "showing" my pups where the bell plant was, since then there's not one pepper on the plant.  After they raided that one, they moved on to the peperoncini plant, then the cucumbers.  They're good buddies

Oops, i have a little temporary fence around my plants in the hopes of keeping them out.  They are actually both pits, the one on the left passed last December, but he was older and had cancer and had lost a lot of weight in that pic so his face doesn't look as pit like there

Is yours a pit mix, can't really tell in the pic.

parker49 said:
Oops, i have a little temporary fence around my plants in the hopes of keeping them out.  They are actually both pits, the one on the left passed last December, but he was older and had cancer and had lost a lot of weight in that pic so his face doesn't look as pit like there

Is yours a pit mix, can't really tell in the pic.
Sorry to hear that, it's really hard losing good friends.  I have a temporary fence as well but the peperoncinis were going nuts and growing through the fence, same with the cukes, the bells were in a pot, they had no chance.  This is bo stealing a cucumber, I caught him in the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHsbivLKWI&list=UUcUGg5_1wNrRILfMAd-xRZw

svfd1118 said:
Sorry to hear that, it's really hard losing good friends.  I have a temporary fence as well but the peperoncinis were going nuts and growing through the fence, same with the cukes, the bells were in a pot, they had no chance.  This is bo stealing a cucumber, I caught him in the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHsbivLKWI&list=UUcUGg5_1wNrRILfMAd-xRZw
Yes it is, no doubt.

Hahaha, that is some funny shit right there.  He looks so guilty but is enjoying himself so much he can't stop.

capsidadburn said:
If anyone is still interested, this is my 2012 glog (page 11 post 204 and 208) with comparisons of the "stingered bonnets" from Gary ,and the CARDI scorpion.  Also grown by Charles with (comments post 209 and Gary 211).

I forgot what a nice season this was looking back thru it.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27520-capsidadburn-grow-2012/page-11

Hope this helps you out!

Mike
That is fantastic, that explains a lot.  I'm so glad that things got mixed up so to speak, and Gary got those CARDIS growing and sent them out, they're turning out to be a favorite of mine, not face melters, just really tasty with a great heat level!

Back