• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Windows 10

Anyone on Windows 10 yet? I just uploaded my free version yesterday, and so far I really like it, with the exception of a just couple things. My computer seems to be running much faster and I no longer have any slowdown problems in THP like I was getting in Windows 7.

The things I don’t like:

It won’t let me disable the log-in password, even though I go to Run/netplwix and check disable.

Every time you reboot it asks you to choose between Windows 10 and Restore. I just know my wife is going to hit restore someday. I wish I could get rid of that prompt.

Other than that it has been pretty much smooth sailing. 

I bet you said you werent getting the slowdowns with windows "x" after you switched to 7 too.

The wonders of a fresh install.  :rolleyes:

SL3 said:
Anyone on Windows 10 yet? I just uploaded my free version yesterday, and so far I really like it, with the exception of a just couple things. My computer seems to be running much faster and I no longer have any slowdown problems in THP like I was getting in Windows 7.

The things I don’t like:

It won’t let me disable the log-in password, even though I go to Run/netplwix and check disable.

Every time you reboot it asks you to choose between Windows 10 and Restore. I just know my wife is going to hit restore someday. I wish I could get rid of that prompt.

Other than that it has been pretty much smooth sailing. 
Well, it's new so it's bound to have a few issues with it.

Also, Heckle, I don't know about what SL3 did, but I heard it keeps all your old programs, so it isn't a fresh install.

Reactions: SL3
I've been wondering about the switch for some time.  Skipped Win8 because hated it.  Will likely move to Win10 soon, mostly because updating the point of sale system is going to require it.  

Heckle said:
I bet you said you werent getting the slowdowns with windows "x" after you switched to 7 too.

Yeah. it was a update not a fresh install. But it runs like one!

Heckle said:

XP was great! I would have kept it if they would have continued to support it.  Windows 7 is probably the slowest I'v ever encountered. Did not get windows 8 due to all the problems I heard about it. But must say I think they finally got it right with Windows 10. 

cruzzfish said:
Well, it's new so it's bound to have a few issues with it.

Also, Heckle, I don't know about what SL3 did, but I heard it keeps all your old programs, so it isn't a fresh install.

If Windows itself wasnt kept or there was a major update of the kernel and a recompile is it a fresh install?

Heckle said:

If Windows itself wasnt kept or there was a major update of the kernel and a recompile is it a fresh install?

This is like 'If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound' only for tech ranks.

I'll probably have to get 10 sooner or later. I could go full time Linux. I dont know. I'm still on 7 with dual boot to Linux.

Sorry I'm grumpy.

SmokenFire said:

This is like 'If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound' only for tech ranks.

Either way you have to listen to know.

I have 'em all ... It's a pick-any-two, although linux is actually closing the gap (which I am not sure I believed I'd ever see, honestly) ...

The only devices that are truly joyous to own/operate are the Apple one's, though.

The experience is immaculate.

It's probably also preying on me in some insidious way, but it's clever enough to stay off my mind still, so far ...

i have windows 10  education  x64 and stripped lots of the crap out.
I did fresh install (reformat)

i don't have any of the issues you described o.0

**Process for people with windows 10 already installed**

1 install windows 10 [adk(dism)](http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=526740) (100mb, only select the one with dism in description)

2 open powershell

3 see commands: http://pastebin.com/LHFZ46RG

4a Paste each command individually (lol zzzzz)

4b Create powershell script file and run it  
> 1 paste commands into notepad. save as winlite.ps1. in powershell enable scripts "set-executionpolicy remotesigned" , run the script "./winlite.ps1".

**Process for Offline media(iso)**

1 install windows 10 [adk(dism)](http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=526740) (100mb, only select the one with dism in description)

2 create "mount" folder in c drive

3 extract your iso file to a new folder in c drive (I used WinRAR)

4 see commands http://pastebin.com/UZu584LF

5 change first command /Imagefile:PATHfrom#3\sources\install.wim  to your extracted iso in #3 

6a Paste each command individually (lol zzzzz)

6b Create powershell script file and run it  
> 1 paste commands into notepad. save as winlite.ps1. open powershell, enable scripts "set-executionpolicy remotesigned" , run the script "./winlite.ps1".

**Results**

install media size change: none

installed size change: -4.25gb (16.25 to 12 gb) (win 10 edu x64)

**Problems**

if your apps aren't the same version as mine (win 10 edu x64) some of the commands may fail! I commented out the Get commands, you can run them manually and see what your packages are and copy my methodology.

you don't like my choices for removing stuff, delete the lines you don't like. run get commands to see what you have first.

also don't forget to disable hibernation unless you really want it, that takes up a few gigs.

grantmichaels said:
The only devices that are truly joyous to own/operate are the Apple one's, though.

The experience is immaculate.

It's probably also preying on me in some insidious way, but it's clever enough to stay off my mind still, so far ...

I'm not a fan or consumer of Apple products.  Mostly because of Jobs, but also because I can build anything Apple sells me for about 1/2 the price.  But mostly because Jobs, that evil fuct.  

juanitos said:

i have windows 10  education  x64 and stripped lots of the crap out.
I did fresh install (reformat)

i don't have any of the issues you described o.0

also don't forget to disable hibernation unless you really want it, that takes up a few gigs.

Thank you.  :)

Reactions: SL3
cruzzfish said:
Gross. Just my opinion, but Apple makes things needlessly difficult to fix and work with.

I think it depends what your needs are.  I grew up with Windows and still use Windows at work, but I switched to Apple computers at home about 7 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.   Granted, I do not use my home computer for much.  Mostly just internet, music & photos. 

cruzzfish said:
Gross. Just my opinion, but Apple makes things needlessly difficult to fix and work with.

Yeah, I grew out of being you. I never knew how peaceful computer ownership could be.

Right until it stops working, but that's the thing ... it mostly doesn't happen.
tctenten said:

I think it depends what your needs are.  I grew up with Windows and still use Windows at work, but I switched to Apple computers at home about 7 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.   Granted, I do not use my home computer for much.  Mostly just internet, music & photos. 

This.

Back