• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Trippa it could be the microbial state of the individual pots? I just gave my plants some gogo juice to see if that will help fix whatever is wrong. I have one t scorpion plant that is flourishing and another of the same seed stock, same conditions and treatment that looks about to die. I'll post a picture.

I am using the old bucket trick for most of my plants this year. Simply can't afford to pay 5 bucks a container for proper pots.

Thanks for that Trippa its the same for me. Even looking on e-bay its just not cost effective to buy 30+ pots, when I can go to bunnings and buy 30 buckets for under $20. Sure it may take time to drill holes but I'm willing to compromise time vs $$$. Once you've bought potting mix, nutrients etc costs sure start adding up.

OK so I had been keeping some jiffy pellets moist for well over 2 months (long since removed from my heated germination setup) and guess what popped up over night. A pimenta de neyde! ! Planted according to my records on the 10th July :) the other one had popped up within 10 days or so.

I am about to Switch off my heated setup as temps are starting to get high enough both day and night to get pretty good germination rates I think

I'm up to 7 Not Scarlet Lantern sprouts.

I just noticed Man v Food was on and had another food made using hot sauce. There's still time for those in WA to see it from midnight.

Man vs Food is a good show, but not the best one if you're looking for hot food... most of the hot challenges are with Habaneros. I eat hotter stuff for fun. everything else, though, looks delicious.

I'm up to 7 Not Scarlet Lantern sprouts.

I just noticed Man v Food was on and had another food made using hot sauce. There's still time for those in WA to see it from midnight.

Cheers. Got up at midnight and had a watch.
He did the fiery wing challange with 6oz of ground up habanero's on 12 wings.
The funny thing is that you can't drink or use a napkin and have to lick your fingers then wait 5 mins after you have finished with sauce on your face!

But for Omri it would have to be smothered in Bhut Jolokia powder for him to have it :)

Micca

dND5s.jpg

First two Locato flowers to bloom
8IKe9.jpg

First two fruits set on Locato

The two Locato pods shown above are from the first two flowers on the plant.

6Lko4.jpg

Habanero (not Fatalii) regrowth and developing flowers

One Habanero plant regrow through August to September. My best looking C. Chinense plant though is a Trinidad Scorpion that won the first over wintered C. Chinense to bloom price.

well done.
It's funny most of my overwintered plants have not stopped flowering during winter. Not too many pods setting but still lots of flowers. The ones I pruned started flowering again about a month ago also and all the annumms have had pods the whole time and havent stopped. Thrown most of my plants out now though so I could start a fresh and have sprayed the others with a fungicide to prevent them catching anything.

Just baking some chilli cookies atm with a special blend featuring the Fatalii and Yellow Bhut Jolokia. Cant wait to try.

well done.
It's funny most of my overwintered plants have not stopped flowering during winter. Not too many pods setting but still lots of flowers. The ones I pruned started flowering again about a month ago also and all the annumms have had pods the whole time and havent stopped. Thrown most of my plants out now though so I could start a fresh and have sprayed the others with a fungicide to prevent them catching anything.

Just baking some chilli cookies atm with a special blend featuring the Fatalii and Yellow Bhut Jolokia. Cant wait to try.
The winter at least at Perth was mild judging by the observations for June, July and August.

It was cool enough here to slow down the Capsicum Pubescens plants.

The mature chillies I left growing never stopped flowering and making miniature pods.
The ones I cut back, repotted into smaller pots or were small when winter came, never did well. Either too cold or too wet. And now they are doing mutant things, something might be in the water :)
Got an old thai chilli plant I cut back to the absolute bare stump due to insect damage. It's alive, and forming new growth, but all really narrow thin leaves that don't look like a chilli plant at all.
Got another one that wasn't growing sets of leaves just a pair at a time, but two sets of leaves side by side; and another has forked leaves, like two leaves in one like Siamese twins.

But the three not naga "looks like a habernero, should be something else, grows like an annuum" plants did OK over winter, though the yellow hab is making mini orange habs now, and even the red hab is making orange mini habs. The one that never podded before last summer is making 'something' now too.
Also all 4 seeds I planted in April even though they stayed small all winter (probably only 20-25cm tall) are flowering and podding now.

Edit:

I'm always picking the baby ripe chillies off the "looks like a habernero, should be something else, grows like an annuum" plants, as they aren't doing anyone any good, no point the plant putting energy into them.
Had a bunch of them last week, not that hot.

I went and picked a bunch today and ate a few. Whoah! Thats really hot! Tiny, but pack a punch!
All winter, yeah I've been having hot sauces and pastes and powders, but it's not the same. It makes me sweat, makes my mouth feel warm, burns coming out, but that's it.

Enviously watching and reading people in the northern hemisphere eat pods.
It's the tongue numbing, drooling, stomach hurting burn I love, not the sweaty head from a hot sauce.

Just got that fresh pod feeling just then! I can't wait for the hotter pods.

These are some of my -not overwintered more like left on their own- plants.
plantsandbeans011.jpg

This fresno never had enough time to do anything last season so it sneakily chucked out three pods during winter.
plantsandbeans010.jpg

This quad-cotyledon hungarian black has kept on producing tiny pods all winter too.
plantsandbeans009.jpg

Habanero not sure the colour
plantsandbeans008.jpg

another hab
plantsandbeans007.jpg

This is a dorset naga which has been cut back to a stick a few times but won't say die. I think it will be a star this season.
Seed donated by gasificada if I remember rightly. :cheers:
plantsandbeans006.jpg

Just picked all my broad beans and cut them back so now all those chillis in the previous post will be getting lots more sun.
plantsandbeans012.jpg

I got an aphid infestation on my seedlings that i noticed last night! Little bastages appear from nowhere, Neem bought them to their deaths. VERY concentrated Neem. :lol:

Shadowchilli I only have four tomato seedlings going at the moment. I'm not going to do the tomatoes hard this year because I don't have the room. Got some pumpkins and cucumbers just starting want to put in a lot of other stuff too.
Aphids suck! :hell: I've had a few aphids over winter and I just stripped back and chucked every infected leaf I found sealed in the bin. Worked so far they haven't made a reappearance.

Damn this weather!

I have a bit of a problem after getting back from Melbourne. I was only gone one day so i moved all my smaller plants (that's most of 'em :lol:) inside under my CFL because of the terrible weather.
When I got back I noticed some of my new growth looked ill-formed and yellow with some necrosis. Leaves are crinkled and some are "burnt" around the edges and have yellow/brown spots (still very small) on them.

Bacterial spot? fert burn? over-watering? Fungal? Root rot?
I had just hit them with some pyrethrum before I left, it couldn't be that could it?

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

EDIT: Added a topic

they always come back :(
Apparently so.

But funny thing... I always get 'em around this time of the year (early spring), but I only have to smash 'em once or twice and then don't see 'em again until the next spring (also, same as with spider mites). :D

Before I start to brag to hard though, sadly the curse of the broad mite haunts me relentlessly all year round. :(

Just sprayed my greenhouse plants with eco-oil.
It doesn't say anything about fungus gnats but they didn't look happy and once wet they stopped moving. :hell:

Back