• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Gave in to forum/peer presure and bought a bag of bokashi stuff the other day. Just got a couple of cheap plastic tubs and now all I have to do is drill some holes in one and...... BOKASHI :D

My compost bin is full and has been going for a few months, its almost ready. When I use it all I'll start a new one with the bokashi scraps. Can't wait to see how well a chilli plant will do in a pot with my homegrown compost. :)

My Douglah is broke. :tear:

IMG_6419.jpg

Mate throws cushion at me. I deflect cushion. Cushion lands smack bang on Doogie Howser.

The whole right branch will have to come off too as it's half snapped off.

Should I make the best of a bad situation and try and clone it? (And how do I go about doing do that?) :think:

I wouldn't worry about the one on the floor,
but if the branch is only brolen half way through, the maybe you could splint it with some matches and some grafting tape????

you can get the grafting tape from bunnings, they should be still open????

I wouldn't worry about the one on the floor,
but if the branch is only brolen half way through, the maybe you could splint it with some matches and some grafting tape????

you can get the grafting tape from bunnings, they should be still open????
Didn't think of that! I just assumed the branch was a goner and is now removed.

I followed the Fatalii.net Cloning Guide and the branch is now in a 50% peat / 50% soil mix. The only thing is I have no rooting hormone.

Do you know much about cloning, Grant? I'm wondering if the branch will be alright until I get a rooting hormone tomorrow (I will leave it in the moist mix for now)--or if the rooting hormone is even essential at all?

Go get some rooting powder dude and cut up the broken bits of it. You will end up with an army of doogie clones.

The main stem looks ok in the photo is it broken down near the soil? If not it'll be fine.

edit: Oh and what part of your friend was subsequentially broken off?

An eye for eye sound fair? I broke off his right arm! (Should I try and clone him too?) :lol:

Thankfully the base and main stem are A-OK. Not really worried about the plant being too damaged--it just looks stupid now is all!

I feel for you anyway. I just spend a long time putting up a shadecloth fence because one of my sons would casually strip some leaves off my plants as he walked by and munch away. And the other son would pull the whole thing out!

I feel for you anyway. I just spend a long time putting up a shadecloth fence because one of my sons would casually strip some leaves off my plants as he walked by and munch away. And the other son would pull the whole thing out!
He eats the leaves?? :shocked:

Come to think of it though, I used to sample all kinds of foliage and what not in the garden when I was a kid too. Once me and a mate even tried the milky sap out of a weed that was growing in his yard. :rofl:

How old is the leaf eater, BTW? Just watch him as if he follows the same pattern as me, eventually he will move on to drying and smoking random plant bits and pieces too--grass clippings, mint leaves, the hollow branches of honeysuckle, etc...

Ouch, Gassy. We've had nasty winds this year, and a handful of my plants got hit pretty hard. One of them had the main stem just above the lowest branch break off. Amazing thing is that the bugger made it - continued to grow and put out plenty of pods on that one branch. Had it not broken off, I'm sure I'd be swimming in those. Best wishes with rooting that branch!

Ouch, Gassy. We've had nasty winds this year, and a handful of my plants got hit pretty hard. One of them had the main stem just above the lowest branch break off. Amazing thing is that the bugger made it - continued to grow and put out plenty of pods on that one branch. Had it not broken off, I'm sure I'd be swimming in those. Best wishes with rooting that branch!
Thanks, g!

Although they can be picky, I think chilli plants are definitely hardier than we sometimes give them credit for. This very same Douglah for example, overcame some real adversity as a seedling--noticeable effects of cold temps during Winter, a period of over-watering, a little fert overdose incident--and *really* looked like he wasn't gonna make it at one stage! Of all my plants the cushion could have hit, it *had* to hit this one... :lol:

I reckon very soon Doogie is gonna go off! :onfire:

By the time you get the cloning powder or gel the next day, I think it will be too late.
Clones need to be taken fresh. and they must be kept on your heat mat under the dome for warmth and humidity.
they're not hard to do though.

Didn't think of that! I just assumed the branch was a goner and is now removed.

I followed the Fatalii.net Cloning Guide and the branch is now in a 50% peat / 50% soil mix. The only thing is I have no rooting hormone.

Do you know much about cloning, Grant? I'm wondering if the branch will be alright until I get a rooting hormone tomorrow (I will leave it in the moist mix for now)--or if the rooting hormone is even essential at all?

By the time you get the cloning powder or gel the next day, I think it will be too late.
Clones need to be taken fresh. and they must be kept on your heat mat under the dome for warmth and humidity.
they're not hard to do though.
Whacked 'em in the germination box last night. ;)

I was reading on another forum and some folks were saying they clone chillies without rooting hormones and it still works just fine for them. Might just run with it and see what happens--got nothing to lose at this point in time anyway! :lol:

goodluck...

did you cut them with a sharp clean razor just below the node?
keep the soil really moist, and the temp 25c
and put them under alight or in the sun....not too hot

goodluck...
Thanks, Grant. Not holding the highest of hopes to say the least--sans rooting hormone and all--but yeah, nothing to lose either.

did you cut them with a sharp clean razor just below the node?
Sharp razor, check. Just below the node, check. Clean razor... uh, it was visibly clean--but that's not gonna cut it, is it? :lol: No, my razor was not sterilized.

Will this effect the chances of rooting or does it just leave the cutting open to a higher chance of "infection" or something?

it should be ok, the razor being sharp is what you need,
so it cuts clean and you didn't squash the area that was cut (damaging the uptake of water)
now that you have it in the dirt, leave it there, don't go taking it out again to put any cloning powder/gel on it.
It should take 2 - 3 weeks to root, but if the cutting starts to wilt in the first day or so just spray it with water.
if it still wilting after a few days then I don't think it is going to make it.

it should be ok, the razor being sharp is what you need,
so it cuts clean and you didn't squash the area that was cut (damaging the uptake of water)
now that you have it in the dirt, leave it there, don't go taking it out again to put any cloning powder/gel on it.
It should take 2 - 3 weeks to root, but if the cutting starts to wilt in the first day or so just spray it with water.
if it still wilting after a few days then I don't think it is going to make it.
Well, they're not wilting *yet* so I guess that's a good sign. Now I guess I just sit back and wait...

Thanks for the info BTW, Grant. Regardless of whether or not this little experiment is a success, I'm definitely gonna give this cloning another shot at some stage--only next time under planned conditions and with some rooting hormone on hand. :lol:

Might even be a plan to help ease the burden of starting a million seeds next season.....

Back