Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
No idea what that is Mezo but that black circle looks perfectly round with a darker ring around the edge. Spooky could be from an mini alien ufo landing lol

No idea what that is Mezo but that black circle looks perfectly round with a darker ring around the edge. Spooky could be from an mini alien ufo landing lol

Lucky Mezo has a sense of humor eh. :)

So do i get a mini alien probe up my ar** then?

M.

I was reading gasificada`s post with his problems (bugs/parasites) and he lives not far from me, i thought you poor basket all that work & then some grubby little mite has a feed of your super hots.

And then tonight (whilst having a well earned bevvy) looking at my Bhut`s i noticed a couple of grub marks? i thought what could feed/live on something so hot??

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

What have i got? & what can i do about it?

Mezo.

Hey mezzo looks like chilli maggots or Pepper maggots as they say in the states.. I get them in capsicums sometimes. I just pick and destroy pods. I don't know what the thing is that lays them but I'm sure google will be your friend

Talkin about huge leaves check this sucker out.

It's a TS Moruga Blend growing outside. The plant is going ballistic at the moment.

Here is a picture of the thick stem

Hope it sets some fruit before the season end, quite interested in this one.

Micca

Talkin about huge leaves check this sucker out.

Well seems you mentioned "sucker" theres another post on here about nipping the tops off the plant & one guy writes "having big leaves say 4 or 5" ++ in size acts as a "Sucker" he says, it apparently robs the plant of energy that could be used to produce fruit.

I always take off the big leaves from my tomato plants for this reason, and after i had read that i wnet & removed all the big leaves from my plants, hell if it work on the toms it must also work on pepprs no?

Mezo.

Hi Mezo,

Mmmm interesting theory, I am really not too sure on that one. Seeing they use the leaves for photosynthesis I always assumed it was like a big solar panel for them. Maybe it gets too much?
Might have to look into it.

Micca

Hi Mezo,

Mmmm interesting theory, I am really not too sure on that one. Seeing they use the leaves for photosynthesis I always assumed it was like a big solar panel for them. Maybe it gets too much?
Might have to look into it.

Micca

Well i read it in this post the other week & it made sense to me? another thing i read the other day on an ebay advert for Bhut`s (could be a member here) they lay the pot on its side to start side shoots, then turn the pot 180 to do the same & then 90 & 180 again to start side shoots in all four directions, makes for a bushier plant/more fruit.

That with nipping off the top in its early days are all things im keen to try.

Mezo.

Well i read it in this post the other week & it made sense to me? another thing i read the other day on an ebay advert for Bhut`s (could be a member here) they lay the pot on its side to start side shoots, then turn the pot 180 to do the same & then 90 & 180 again to start side shoots in all four directions, makes for a bushier plant/more fruit.

That with nipping off the top in its early days are all things im keen to try.

Mezo.

Just another form of low stress training. You can do the same by tying or weighting the branches of a plant so the growing tip is lower then the rest of the branch eventually the plant auxins will be fooled into thinking that the side nodes are the new growing tips and multiple growth tips will be created.
Very common in other less legal forms of plant propagation apparently ...

Yeah that’s right, low stress training. I don’t tend to have the time to do that stuff so I let them grow wild. You can also Bonsai the plant by tipping it etc which has resulted in some interesting Bonsai plants. There is something on these forums about Bonsai and low stress training too.

Micca

Forgive me for using this bit of the forum to ask such a question, but seeing most of the Australians are frequenting this topic,readily..
My question is.. Are any of you( us) growing Mulatos this year.. I would like to purchase some fresh ones to throw on the barbie , rather than having to buy the dried mexican stuff, which has already been loved by roasting /radiant heat.

I have a sense of déjà vu today after identifying another Brazilian Starfish as redux of first Brazilian Starfish NOT.
  1. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2010-2011 (probably a hybrid)
  2. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2011-2012 (probably a hybrid)
  3. Fatalii NOT (Orange Hab)
  4. Fluorescent Purple NOT
  5. Habanero Red NOT (was meant to be Choc. Brown)
  6. Habanero Yellow NOT (pointy Orange Hab)
  7. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  8. Limo Blanco NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  9. Pequin NOT (mislabelled Tepin)
  10. Rainbow Thai NOT (likely NuMex cultivar)
  11. Scarlet Lantern NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  12. Scotch Bonnet NOT (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom)
  13. Seven Pod Red NOT
  14. Tepin NOT (mongrel hybrid)
  15. Trinidad Scorpion NOT (at least 1 of 3)
I updated the list to include a couple of plants in italics that I had a hand in purchasing that ended up being NOTs. One NOT cancelled out the other NOT by being what the other NOT should have been.

The first Beni Highlands plant has the right shaped pods. The Limón performance here though runs rings around them.

I'm updating the list to add the Habanero Peach, one Locato and the Floriana Jalapeño:
  1. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2010-2011 (probably a hybrid)
  2. Brazilian Starfish NOT 2011-2012 (probably a hybrid)
  3. Fatalii NOT (Orange Hab)
  4. Floriana Jalapeño Fireless Eater
  5. Fluorescent Purple NOT
  6. Habanero Peach NOT (mild to heatless)
  7. Habanero Red NOT (was meant to be Choc. Brown)
  8. Habanero Yellow NOT (pointy Orange Hab)
  9. Jalapeño NOT Mild
  10. Limo Blanco NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  11. Locato NOT (larger bottlenecked pods)
  12. Pequin NOT (mislabelled Tepin)
  13. Rainbow Thai NOT (likely NuMex cultivar)
  14. Scarlet Lantern NOT (dominant Annuum features)
  15. Scotch Bonnet NOT (Jamaican Yellow Mushroom)
  16. Seven Pod Red NOT
  17. Tepin NOT (mongrel hybrid)
  18. Trinidad Scorpion NOT (at least 1 of 3)

The Habanero Peach pods are the wrong shape and the first pod had little to no detectable heat. If it is consistently mild to heatless then it may have a redeeming function as the token mild C. Chinense variety I have been seeking.

One of the Locato plants produces larger pods than normal and is more sensitive to sunlight. It though is one of the Nots that has some redeeming qualities. The yield of the plant has been good and it hasn't suffered from tremendous flower drop.

I forgot to add the Floriana Jalapeño Fireless Eater (addition and emphasis of less is mine) for producing heatless pods when the tag specified them as being very hot. This is perhaps due to the pollution of the hot strains with the more recent mild Jalapeño varieties. It has though served a purpose as a sweet heatless variety.

Talking about nots

Top two are Yellow Habanero not the color in the picture is crap the pod is more of a peach color, and Orange Habanero not, this pod is smaller and different shape the other pods on the plant. The others are Red hots, and the small ones are Zimbabwe's.
16022012430.jpg

Orange Hab not cut open. Hot Habanero heat thats for sure, my zimbabwes are hotter.
16022012433.jpg

more Orange hab nots (these pods are ripening real fast took this pic few days ago and now there half orange.
12022012425.jpg

12022012426.jpg

Another pic of my peach pod on the plant saddly the picture with my finger in it was the clearest. I hate using the phone.
12022012418.jpg

Serrano? I have 2 of these plants and oddly the second has long fine pods on it.
12022012420.jpg

Forgive me for using this bit of the forum to ask such a question, but seeing most of the Australians are frequenting this topic,readily..
My question is.. Are any of you( us) growing Mulatos this year.. I would like to purchase some fresh ones to throw on the barbie , rather than having to buy the dried mexican stuff, which has already been loved by roasting /radiant heat.

sorry Mark, can't help you here...

@Jayman
did those Not orange habs start out dark Green?
if so then there still may be a chance that they are orange habs

Updated

Peach something tried to get a better pic (yellow hab not)
16022012437.jpg

The yellow hab not plant
16022012445.jpg

Orange hab not
16022012441.jpg

16022012440.jpg

Serrano 1
16022012444.jpg

Serrano 2
16022012442.jpg

sorry Mark, can't help you here...

@Jayman
did those Not orange habs start out dark Green?
if so then there still may be a chance that they are orange habs

Yeah they were are darker green to start with some of them still are, the color is the pics isn't 100%.

Orange Hab not cut open. Hot Habanero heat thats for sure, my zimbabwes are hotter.
16022012433.jpg

It's easy to see why there's a lack of heat from the photo. There's no where near enough placenta in pod.

Yeah they were are darker green to start with some of them still are, the color is the pics isn't 100%.

Orange Hab Nots would be easy to pick after you've tasted an orange Hab. Their flavour remains distinct among all of the varieties I have here.

I can see from the plant tags that you've managed the feat of Nots from a range of nurseries.

Yeah rookie mistake, atleast their consistently inconsistent. I do have some plants from seed, but their still babies, won't be getting fruit off them this year.

uh-oh just of chilli up my nose :mouthonfire:

Starting to get enough pods for some sauces, next week should be a good week with lots of pods on my dorset getting ready for picking. Will make a new sauce next week and post it in my sites blog.

Fresh-Chili-Peppers-003-300x225.jpg
DSCF2771-300x225.jpg

Back