Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Fruit Fly SUUCK!!! Thats ALL I HAVE to SAY!!!!

Yeah, they SUUCK and they are :censored: :censored: ing little :censored: s!

IMG_0382.JPG

(Not for the faint hearted.)

:mad: :mad: :mad:

So they showed up at yours? Bummer, man, so sorry to hear that!

I've started to build fruit fly traps to hopefully put a dent in them before they start stuffing up the Tomatoes.

Using 2 1.25L coke bottles. Using some apple juice and a drop of morning fresh so the bastarders drown.
20121206_221453.jpg

20121206_222149.jpg

20121206_223205.jpg

Reactions: nee
Yea i riped about 20 pods off yesterday and another 5 or so of today. These bugs are ridiculous cna't wait until my mosquito fabric turns up hopefully that will save the pods.

Interesting piece of information for people.

About 7-10 days ago i planted about 30 seeds from different varieties into pots filled with osmocote bonzai soil mix...

Almost 100% germination rate!!! from soil and plant and forget!!

ozmocote bonzai keeps it nice and moist.

Reactions: nee
It's expensive for what it is , the reason for the good hit rate wud be the heat we have had , it hold to much water , grows mould under lights and stunts growth as it lacks stuff but that's my opinion

Feroz were they fresh seeds m8 ?

I've started to build fruit fly traps to hopefully put a dent in them before they start stuffing up the Tomatoes.

Using 2 1.25L coke bottles. Using some apple juice and a drop of morning fresh so the bastarders drown.

Do these go on the ground or is that wire i spied to hang them up near the plants?

I haven't heard good things about osmocote. I don't like it because its slow release and so you can't just flush out the soil if its too much for them. Also it apparently causes salt build up but if it works for you then good luck. :)

whoa whoa whoa hold up.

I use good life soil for growing, however i use the ozmocote (BONZAI) only to germinate as its water holding properties are excellent...

I use it in my bonzai plants because thats what it was designed for.

Using good soil ive sometimes had germination rates of 10%, using this its almost 100% (pots are kept indoors with heater mat). Speaks for itself for this use.

They will be moved out as soon as they have some leaves going on.

PS yes the stuff is growing mushrooms out of it lol...

Do these go on the ground or is that wire i spied to hang them up near the plants?

I'm hanging them up with wire, keeping them out of reach of the dog. (or small children if you have any) So far I havn't caught anything but ants, but the weather has been overcast last few days. Thinking of making small ones with 600ml or smaller bottles to make it easier to place in with the tomato plants.

whoa whoa whoa hold up.

I use good life soil for growing, however i use the ozmocote (BONZAI) only to germinate as its water holding properties are excellent...

I use it in my bonzai plants because thats what it was designed for.

Using good soil ive sometimes had germination rates of 10%, using this its almost 100% (pots are kept indoors with heater mat). Speaks for itself for this use.

They will be moved out as soon as they have some leaves going on.

PS yes the stuff is growing mushrooms out of it lol...

Interesting, I use seedling mix that is very sandy, but I'm not germinating in it. I use the wet paper towel trick and I've been putting them on my foxtel unit. Which didn't work very well this season btw. Next year I will give jiffies a go.

i did jiffies in a small green house on a reptile mat. Worked well.

I think tried a lot of seeds and flowers etc in high quality soil. not one sprouted.

i think used ozmocote bonsai and all of them sprouted.

it stays moist because of the moss stuff in it i guess.

But they wont grow well in it need t take them out.

M8 not haven a dig but read the back of the packet and just compare it , what makes the bonzai pack different from a normal pack? Like most products they charge more for the same stuff labeled different. I don't like osmocote coz a bag I had , had some sort of larva that ate the seeds as they geremed, when they are small u don't want them to find nutrients u want them to look for ie bigger roots , that's why jiffys r good

makes good sense.

Now they have sprouted i have moved them to different growing medium anywho's.

Yeah it does look a bit weird i have mushrooms growing in mine lol...

I haven't heard good things about osmocote. I don't like it because its slow release and so you can't just flush out the soil if its too much for them. Also it apparently causes salt build up but if it works for you then good luck. :)

To be fair, next year i will probably see things a lot differently :) But my only experience so far was when i re-potted my lifeless and dying plants from my 'el cheapo' brand into Osmocote...and it saved my whole grow!! So currently i feel i am in debt to it....lol
I can understand that people with more knowledge than i would be onto much better stuff though! But for this (1st) season i was grateful for it :)

To be fair, next year i will probably see things a lot differently :) But my only experience so far was when i re-potted my lifeless and dying plants from my 'el cheapo' brand into Osmocote...and it saved my whole grow!! So currently i feel i am in debt to it....lol
I can understand that people with more knowledge than i would be onto much better stuff though! But for this (1st) season i was grateful for it :)
Lol it's my first season and knowledge hah don't have much but I got addicted tried a a lot of grow mediums and experiments a lot had heaps of bugs , mould and other funky crap ! But if it works for u use it , take all advice with a grain of salt , what works for sum may not work for others . Knowledge is power ! And finding ur groove is key but it's nice that ppl share their experience so u can avoid the pit falls , but hey evry one says don't get married but we all do it lol :)

Back