• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
right moving back to some real issues :shh: :snooty: :lol: ... I am just about to get my latest round of germination underway. After these are done it only leaves 3 varieties in my possession left to soak/plant and then I am complete in terms of my varieties ... except I do have 1-2 more ornamental's/annuums on THSC site that I might look at getting NTR's and Maybe the hungarian Black and RHF1 ... when will this end ... :lol:

I would really recommend growing some Bulgarian Carrots. think you'll like those and easy to grow. also a great plant to grow and overwinter outside for you guys down under.

I would really recommend growing some Bulgarian Carrots. think you'll like those and easy to grow. also a great plant to grow and overwinter outside for you guys down under.

You're not helping :lol: my kids will be sharing a room soon to make way for chilli's :hell: :rofl:

As I'm getting lots of hooks and new plants I've been looking back at last season (my first) to plan for the coming one. Growing in winter in Perth has proven easier than I thought it would, especially with the limited plant stock I had coming out of autumn.

In my makeshift greenhouse I just picked a handful of Aji Lemons, and one of the three green Big Jim pods has a tiny bit of red creeping in. These plants have done incredibly well for their tiny pots and compacted soil. All the other plants in the greenhouse look to be doing better than when they were outside in summer. Ones that I cut right back to overwinter them have sprouted out all bushy and are putting out flowers and pods. I don't water them very often because it gets humid in there.

Compare that to outside in the cold... I planted a Dorset Naga last year which never really got off the ground and was posioned with too much fertilizer. I rinsed the roots and planted it in a big pot with much better soil. All the leaves fell off and it sprouted new big fat leaves. Then it really started getting cold at night and although it was outside it didn't die. Then I noticed that the leaves were getting loaded with aphids so I pulled them all off leaving it as a stem. The leaves have grown back again, this time they are not fat but narrow but there are plenty of them. It's in a spot in the yard where it gets very little sun but its still going. A Hungarian Black and Black Prince and Black Pearl have slowed right down but there are flowers still.

I guess that if they have large enough pots the roots don't get too cold. I simply clustered all my pots together in a spot out of the wind as much as possible.

So my conclusions are that in Perth's climate it's mild enough that you can keep on growing all winter with simply plastic stretched over a frame. I'm seriously considering making a big walk-in hoop house for next winter so I can move all my pots in and just keep on going full speed.

edit: I just felt like typing :P

Germinating I haven't had a problem.
Some have died (first leaves just rotted away, or seed cap stuck on). In fact I have had it easy with chinense in the 'fridge' at 28-30C. I've had more problems with my annums ( maybe the temp, maybe some seeds were from pods picked early like jalapenos green or czech blacks black - I did have a heap of red jalapenos and red blacks saved but maybe the seeds got mixed up).
Problem I have is the plants doing nothing.
North of me is another house, so only a tiny bit of direct sunlight around for them (8-10am for the old plants and seedlings out the front, 3-4.30pm for the newer seedlings out the back)
So my plants are doing nothing with that amount of direct sunlight and the constant cold.
Old plants may be still podding, but months to mature and tiny. Young plants planted this summer growing so slow they may as well be dormant. Seedlings sprouted with love and care in the 'fridge' 3 weeks ago and given all the warmth and light I have, still only have their original 2 leaves and not growing their first true set.
Oh well, it was only an experiment, nothing I can do to help them along really.

Germinating I haven't had a problem.
Some have died (first leaves just rotted away, or seed cap stuck on). In fact I have had it easy with chinense in the 'fridge' at 28-30C. I've had more problems with my annums ( maybe the temp, maybe some seeds were from pods picked early like jalapenos green or czech blacks black - I did have a heap of red jalapenos and red blacks saved but maybe the seeds got mixed up).
Problem I have is the plants doing nothing.
North of me is another house, so only a tiny bit of direct sunlight around for them (8-10am for the old plants and seedlings out the front, 3-4.30pm for the newer seedlings out the back)
So my plants are doing nothing with that amount of direct sunlight and the constant cold.
Old plants may be still podding, but months to mature and tiny. Young plants planted this summer growing so slow they may as well be dormant. Seedlings sprouted with love and care in the 'fridge' 3 weeks ago and given all the warmth and light I have, still only have their original 2 leaves and not growing their first true set.
Oh well, it was only an experiment, nothing I can do to help them along really.

Get a couple of cheap desk lamps and a mix of 2 x cool and 2 x warm white 20 Watt CFL bulbs and a couple of Y connectors and have them over your plant. Takes up no room and 80watts of power (less then a normal incandescent bulb) You could even have a 40-60 watt incandescent in one of the connectors for added warmth as well, just don't get it too close. Just an idea.

I am lucky that I get day round sun winter and summer where I have my chillies so they get a nice amount of light (get a bit cool at night in winter though) and warmth most of the time.

Also forgot to add :woohoo: this morning my new arrival was a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia baby ... my first one. :woohoo:

Strangely enough the only seeds not to sprout yet from that round of sowing has been the ball chilli's ??

Got my little babies sitting outside today in bright sunshine under blue skies with hardly a breath of wind and bird song for ambiance. Working from Home with espresso in hand ... cue Zen State :lol: :cool:

Got my little babies sitting outside today in bright sunshine under blue skies with hardly a breath of wind and bird song for ambiance. Working from Home with espresso in hand ... cue Zen State :lol: :cool:
We've had some beautiful days over the last couple weeks here in Brissy, albeit a little chilly and windy at times. Don't like the look of the forecast for clouds/showers/rain over the next few days though..... :eek:

My little guys are already struggling to do anything with the temps so low lately.... don't need to add lack of sunlight to that!

Well my bleach soak and then chammomile soak has seemed to work. Only 5 days and a Morouga Scorpion hook is up.Had a dig around a few others and doesn't seem like anything has happened but I'm impressed with the germ time on that one since im so far behind now. Gonna try and do a heap in Hydrogen Peroxide then Chammomile tea today if I get a chance.

We've had some beautiful days over the last couple weeks here in Brissy, albeit a little chilly and windy at times. Don't like the look of the forecast for clouds/showers/rain over the next few days though..... :eek:

My little guys are already struggling to do anything with the temps so low lately.... don't need to add lack of sunlight to that!

Ahh, but the lows aren't anywhere near as cold. Past two nights it's been -3 at 6AM.

Weird, I've been hanging out for this rain, got 1 square km of garden that did not appreciate those winds, plus all the green manure I recently planted is barely clinging onto life.
I swear I've posted this link before but I find it amazing. Agricultural Observations Bulletin for Queensland - http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ60604.shtml
The other states have the same thing, it's just under "All observations".

According to my phone garden diary the first chocolate bhut took 17-18 days to germinate/show itself so I don't hold out much hope for the ball chilli's planted the same time, surely they should have shown themselves by now??

So far my quickest germination/hooks showing have been my C. Baccatum Aji Lemons with the first one coming up in 2 days !! (actually had a little tiny tail after 24hr soak)

These times are all after a 24hr soak and are until the first of each type popped its head up.

Aji Lemon = 2 Days
Super Chilli = 5 Days
Bonda Ma Jacques = 10 days
Explosive ember = 8-10 days?
Black Prince = 10 Days
Cheiro Do Norte = 13-14 Days
Numex Twilight = 14 Days
Chocoloate Bhut = 18 days
Yellow 7 pot/pod anywhere from 20 to 30 days (as I had 3 different plantings and lost track of which pellet was which)
Hot Cherry = Still Waiting 5-6 weeks and counting, seed is still in good condition in soil though.

Quite a huge range of times across all different varieties.

is it normal for Baccatum Var. to sprout easily??

18 days for a chocolate bhut? I must be very lucky, got it without soaking less than 14 days - forget when but must have only been 9 days. My butchT scorp was sprouted within a week... I must be very lucky.
Today I noticed my Antillias Caribbean and Golden Habanero seeds have sprouted. Lovin' it!! :)

Back