• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Nah, been pretty infrequent on most forums, been spending some time on the hdforums and the xr5ownersclub forums. Been spending money on the car and bike. Really lack time with all the work travel I've been doing. Been away from home 61 days out of 198 so far.
yeah, I know what that's like...
Is _DrD_ posting here that you know of? They started the chilli thread over there and growing lots themselves, then no more. It all sort of died over there as far as chilli growing.
I had the last post there 3 weeks ago, and that was it, no more posts from anyone, so I joined up here :)

Ok so I have been doing some experimentation with my temp. probe positioning in my propagation setup and it seems there is an approximate 2-3 degree variation from the ends to the centre (possibly in part due to the fact I have a non-uniform/symmetrical tray setup in it with gaps around the edges down the ends)

IMG_20110714_091958.jpg

Is it better to have my temp range in the 29.5-32.5 Range or in the 26.5-29.5 degree range??

The latter. Imo.

Cheers Nova thats what I figured ...

I hope I have some germination action in the next couple of days ... I have just gone and got another dozen Jiffy Pellets from Bunnings (if I had been smart I would have got one lot of 50 or 100 off ebay at the start and been done with it)

Also Just bought myself a pH tester and some blue silica gel off ebay for my seeds (and Camera Gear) that changes colour and can also be re-dried and reused.

I have also noticed that they stock Organic Link in Bunnings as well so that will be my next purchase.

I couldn't find any recycling bin at bunnings either .. it seems there older/recycled pots are either in a locked area out back or there are a few which are right beside the garden area checkout inside the shop ... no raiding for me I don't think :(

Oh, and yeah, I still have two plants growing pretty well and producing pods. What are they?
First one is weird, very light green pods before turning red, looks like a savina or red carribean. It is round, has smooth skin but creases.
p5Ahd.png

A new pod has a surprise.
HAXAX.jpg

And this is ny "not Naga" like someone else mentioned they also had, this plant is still growing and producing pods too.
zJa9d.png

qSvfR.jpg
That not naga in this post, the actual pod in the last photo in fact, turned yellow this week. Never had a yellow hab before. Strange when green it had almost no heat?, but when all yellow it was nice. I should have let the large ones in the first photo above it ripen. It has a nice flavour and heat ( the chilli hits just the lips and back of the tongue).

That pod in the second photo from the other plant that is scorpion shaped is going in my next meal now it's red...

Well Success ... (at least 1 success anyway) new arrival today was one of JR's Hot Fish seeds sprouting in the propagation box .... :woohoo: still no others though and those ball chilli's still haven't popped up ...

my germination rates are pretty pathetic across the board but if I can get at least 1 of every type I put down I will be happy enough ... it has only been 8 days since I put down most of them so I hope in the next 5-6 days to have a few more pop up.

As expected, it hurt! ;)

Not as bad as my shoulder though. Went clay pigeon shooting for my brother's buck's and as never fired a shotty before........ :lol:

I remember the last time i put about 30 rounds through a twelve gauge one evening, in about 20 minutes chasing down roo's and wallabies in an old commodore with the roof cut off. Shoulder was screwed the next day, and the day after, and the day after :rofl:

I have discovered roots coming out the bottom of 3 of my chilli plants 8x8cm Jiffy Pots today (which is a good sign as far as I am concerned as they are not that big ~5-8cm tall). Didn't expect to have to transplant them this early to be honest, but its a nice problem to have.

My question is, should I transplant them into their final containers now or put them into a intermediate size container and then pot on?

There are 2 x Aji Lemons (var. Baccatum) and 1 x (actually 2 in the pot) Super Chilli (Var. Annuum), what size pots should I be looking at both now and/or as a final container size for these 2 strains?

You should be right potting them up now, many people like to step up but i find that it is just a PITA.
Final container size should be at least 10ltr IMHO, the bigger the better!!

You should be right potting them up now, many people like to step up but i find that it is just a PITA.
Final container size should be at least 10ltr IMHO, the bigger the better!!

Sweet cheers Nova ... another question then ... are deeper or wider pots preferable? I am thinking deeper obviously for cooler/moist roots etc but I just want to get opinions.
Ie. I can get 290mm 14.1 litre pots from bunnings, 13.5litre 300mm pots online or 290mm 18 litre buckets online for comparable prices, what would be the better shape?? (Obviously the 18 litre ones are bigger but they also cost 1/3 more to fill)

Funny you should say that right now.... I just finished potting up some plants another pot size up and was just thinking to myself what a PITA it was! :lol:

As long as you have a good draining medium, one big pot up should be OK - but I would be extra extra careful when it comes to watering (really let the whole medium dry in between waterings - especially paying attention to the soil at the bottom of the pot).

Personally, I'm still at least gonna do the whole two pot up thing (jiffy into smallish pot, then smallish pot into final pot) but I think that's as far as I will go. As much as I find potting up in increments gives me greater control over keeping the moisture levels in my medium just right, it REALLY is a pain in the butt......

By the way where the hell is the perlite/vermiculite/pumice in bunnings??? Couldn't find any on saturday, I did find coarse sand so I know where that is now at least

I have to disagree with Nova even though it is a pain. You should pot up as needed rather than straight into the final size container. The roots and plant will grow much better and won't be as stressed if they only have to fill in a small amount at a time rather than a huge pot. Also the watering is harder to control. From Jiffys I would probably pot into a 13cm pot but you could get away with a 10cm but then have to repot a few weeks later. Trust me this is the best way to do it and that is how nurseries also pot on their plants.

Bunnings keep their vermiculite/perlite in the hydro section which is usually near all the fertiliser and nutrients seeds etc. If you cant find any go to a hydro shop.

Well so far, exciting, I have found the superhots which have successfully germinated, have grown the tallest quickly, I even have 2 butchT scorps side by side, so I will be attempting Neil's clumping theory on this one.
Still a few not germinated, but I remain hopeful :)

I have to disagree with Nova even though it is a pain. You should pot up as needed rather than straight into the final size container. The roots and plant will grow much better and won't be as stressed if they only have to fill in a small amount at a time rather than a huge pot. Also the watering is harder to control. From Jiffys I would probably pot into a 13cm pot but you could get away with a 10cm but then have to repot a few weeks later. Trust me this is the best way to do it and that is how nurseries also pot on their plants.

Bunnings keep their vermiculite/perlite in the hydro section which is usually near all the fertiliser and nutrients seeds etc. If you cant find any go to a hydro shop.
If you can put up with the PITA it's good! I am going straight from germed jiffies that are put into cups, then into 20 ltr drums.
You are female, you have much more patience than us male. :lol:

Back