• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
I use neem mostly. Seems to be enough and is good for your plants as well.
I mix seasol and a little epsom salts into the foliar spray as well.

I hear alot of people on the forum talking about foliar feeding. How often should it be done and is it a replacement for fertilising?

Foliar feeding is great in getting much needed nutrients directly to a plant. I'd be using a combination of both, foliar feeding and soil drenching, as an overall fertiliser program for your plants.

Herre is my purple bhut seedlings,yours look fine. Purple varieties do look different.
IMG_4674.jpg

Kruizin check if there are mites under those leaves. Hard to see them. looks like there could be possible leaf deformity?

Foliar feeding is great in getting much needed nutrients directly to a plant. I'd be using a combination of both, foliar feeding and soil drenching, as an overall fertiliser program for your plants.

Thanks for the advice. i will be trying it soon.

Herre is my purple bhut seedlings,yours look fine. Purple varieties do look different.
IMG_4674.jpg
Kruizin check if there are mites under those leaves. Hard to see them. looks like there could be possible leaf deformity?

Wildfire i had a look and to me they look fine. some leaves just look like that have a bit of soil on them. heres a pic of the worst leaf. There is leaf deformity on a couple of the plants.
IMG_5338.jpg

I mix up the foliar feed with neem - feed the plants & kill the bugs in one go. About every 3 - 4 weeks keeps them happy

Thanks Bent will give it a go.

Well, I'm getting better at this.
First seeds I planted in early June are the suck. Czech black and jalapenos went dark purple leaves and not growing, chinense and aji went yellow and refusing to grow. Soil was kept pretty dry, I think it was too much heat and light from the CFLs.
VG9qo.jpg
lZx0s.jpg
98RfW.jpg

bkett.jpg

Second seeds planted mid July were jalapeno, thai birdseye, red and orange habs, hungarian hot wax. They're staying green and growing better than the first lot. Difference is not using the CFLs, just used the MH lamp when it's not sunny, and just leaving them by the window instead now the weather is sunnier.
dj1h1.jpg

Third set planted late july are doing well now too, 7 pot reds, bih jolokia, bonda ma jaques, choc hab, choc bhut, dorset naga, trinidad scorpion, marouga red, fatalii, takanotsume, peruvian white are all staying green and heathly. Most only sprouted over the past week though, 3 more today!
Still a couple of purple new jalapenos and czech blacks from being under the MH lamp a couple of times though
TksNl.jpg

looking good pablo. Don't let them dry out too much at this stage - they'll be doing a lot of root growing & should be kept damp for that (also why they appear to stop growing in stages)I only start to let them dry out once they start putting out little flower nodes.
You've got some worthy varieties in that 3rd set :onfire:

Finally had some time to post pics of what's happening at the start of the chilli season.

I recently moved 9 of my Butch-T's into the 90W LED light in the garage. They look really healthy this year.

Today I managed to cut back all the Asian Birdseye that will still a metre tall, and I'm looking to top the garden bed up with compost + dynamic lifter + soil + sugar cane mulch. Two of the plants didn't make it over winter, but the others look quite good.

One thing I've really noticed in the other garden beds is how much worms love sugar cane mulch. I can pretty move a little of the sugar cane mulch from the surface and see heaps of worms feeding on the bottom layer of it.

This bed is full of Bhut's, combination of Chocolate's and Assam's. They were all seed that I grew last year, from pods I collected the year before. I guess they've somewhat acclimatised to the weather over the generations and although they don't look real good I think they'll also survive the winter. Cutting those back is a task for next weekend.

The entire front row is also Bhut's, recently cut back and topped up with soil. The row behind it needs replacing, only one of those plants survived winter and it's a 3 year old Red Thai. The two rows behind it I have now dedicated to non chilli plants.

looking good pablo. Don't let them dry out too much at this stage - they'll be doing a lot of root growing & should be kept damp for that (also why they appear to stop growing in stages)I only start to let them dry out once they start putting out little flower nodes.
You've got some worthy varieties in that 3rd set :onfire:
Really?
I was told overwatering was the most common way to kill them, and damping off etc. When the first lot went yellow I thought I was over watering them so kept them pretty dry and thought I was doing the right thing.
I have lost a few of the early seedlings, but I didn't know if it was from lack of water, or over watering or damping off.

Latest seedlings though have some vermiculite in it to keep the moisture better for them, as I deliberately used a coarser potting mix to try something different as well.

Kruzin those plants look like they've been in a punchup! If its not an bug or disease they are probably neglected seedlings, started late last season and left alone somewhere to overwinter. I think if you keep them warm and treat them right they should bouce back.

Candice do you always get that much algae on your jiffy pellets! I hope it doesn't cause any problems.

MiLK_MaN good luck with your grow. I remember you got a good forest going last season. The plants under the leds look healthy. I'm yet to discover the trick to getting those big fat healthy leaves that everyone seems to get on their chinenses.

Really?
I was told overwatering was the most common way to kill them, and damping off etc. When the first lot went yellow I thought I was over watering them so kept them pretty dry and thought I was doing the right thing.
I have lost a few of the early seedlings, but I didn't know if it was from lack of water, or over watering or damping off.

Latest seedlings though have some vermiculite in it to keep the moisture better for them, as I deliberately used a coarser potting mix to try something different as well.

Yeah its a balancing act between the amount of watering & the drainablity of the soil

Really?

Apparently overwatering and underwatering symptons are very similar.

After much changing around of my setup I think that the yellowing and leaf drop I got was from heat, overwatering and lack of airflow. I've been letting them dry out but I think if your seedlings don't get hot and there is plenty or air moving though then it doesn't matter if they stay moist. I still haven't gotten it all sorted out yet though.

I'm yet to discover the trick to getting those big fat healthy leaves that everyone seems to get on their chinenses.
My bought NOTs, (not 7 pot, not naga, not scorpians - just habaneros) over the summer had huge leaves too.
I've left them out on the porch over winter and all new growth is small. Tiny leaves and tiny pods right now, (they're still flowering and podding). So the large leaves are dependant on the amount of light they get and temperature probably.

edit:

Here's my seeds planted in march. They've just been left outside and I don't have anywhere facing North for sunlight, so they only get 4hrs a day off light. They all survived the great aphid infestation of May, which killed off all my older plants (normally buy 2-3 each chilli festival), and trashed the NOTs pretty hard too.
P9mVG.jpg

top two are jalapenos, bottom row is scotch bonnet, cayenne, red hab. Due to the cold weather without light, not much growth happening and the old aphid damaged leaves are still there 4 months later.
The cayenne is about 25cm tall and podding already, the scotch bonnet leaves are all crinkled and stuffed up.

Kruzin those plants look like they've been in a punchup! If its not an bug or disease they are probably neglected seedlings, started late last season and left alone somewhere to overwinter. I think if you keep them warm and treat them right they should bouce back.

Candice do you always get that much algae on your jiffy pellets! I hope it doesn't cause any problems.

MiLK_MaN good luck with your grow. I remember you got a good forest going last season. The plants under the leds look healthy. I'm yet to discover the trick to getting those big fat healthy leaves that everyone seems to get on their chinenses.

sometimes and sometimes not. depends what trays i have them in and how i decide to water. makes no difference to the plants though

Yeah its a balancing act between the amount of watering & the drainablity of the soil

+1 again
Neils TS plants get up to 230mm long! Pretty darned big!!
what only 23cm? maybe 2.3 m?? :lol:

Back