• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Hey Wildfire i was just on your web site and one of your products is fresh Bhut pods. Do you still have any left?

Cheers Pauly

Hey Pauly

Not at the moment. I have an organic farm that i get to grow pods for me. I will be giving him seedlings in Oct so prob around January i will start to have some. If you sign up to the newsletter on my website i will send an email out when they are ready and newsletter subscribers usually get first dibs.

After reading 110451752478's comment about him germing at 41 celcius i decided to turn the temp up in my germ box. The heater only goes to 34 celcius so i whacked it up there. Came out this morning to find a Hungarian Black had popped! I think it was too fast to say that the elevated temperature helped as the seeds have been down for about a week however i do know that it doesn't cook them at 34. I will leave it there and see how the others go.
;-)

My old habs didn't mind 28C, bih jolokia, amarillo worked at 28C too.

Hungarian hot wax seemed to like 32C; czech black, 7 pot and jalapeno better at 30C.

Congo black, fatalii and yellow 7 pot, maybe got one successful out of 4 seeds, so I'm cranking the heat up for them. I've got nothing to lose, it's been 3 weeks...

Also the brain strain aren't doing anything (hasn't been that long for them though) but one germinated as soon as I went up to 34-36C.
Also kempsey red, I'm 0/7 seeds, nothing is working for them either.

Witht he experiment I did on the old bell capsicums, I started off doing the 15C for 8hrs, 30C for 16hrs for a week. Nothing happened. Then I just left it at 30C, nada.
Then set for 32C after a couple of days one seed, then one the next day. At 34C I was getting 2-3 seeds PER day germinating and I just got sick of planting bell capsicums.

Ahhhh, average. There goes you with being MEAN. :rofl:
Mean? I'm not mean! :surprised:

My old habs didn't mind 28C, bih jolokia, amarillo worked at 28C too.

Hungarian hot wax seemed to like 32C; czech black, 7 pot and jalapeno better at 30C.

Congo black, fatalii and yellow 7 pot, maybe got one successful out of 4 seeds, so I'm cranking the heat up for them. I've got nothing to lose, it's been 3 weeks...

Also the brain strain aren't doing anything (hasn't been that long for them though) but one germinated as soon as I went up to 34-36C.
Also kempsey red, I'm 0/7 seeds, nothing is working for them either.

Witht he experiment I did on the old bell capsicums, I started off doing the 15C for 8hrs, 30C for 16hrs for a week. Nothing happened. Then I just left it at 30C, nada.
Then set for 32C after a couple of days one seed, then one the next day. At 34C I was getting 2-3 seeds PER day germinating and I just got sick of planting bell capsicums.
The temp needs to be constant.

Tried constant for weeks, constant 28, constant 30, constant 32.
Then I tried varible 15C 8hrs/ 30C for 16hrs mentioned elsewhere on this site for all the stuck seeds that weren't germinating anyway (temperature is not constant in nature anyway, and it made sense to me to give it a go).
Now I'm trying constant 34C or higher for what is still not been germinating.
Seeds naturally get exposed to a non constant temp, they also get exposed to much higher temps than 30C. So I'm just trying experiments for whatever has not been successful with a constant 28C

Too much or too little? (or as I've learnt with chilliers, either!) :)

edit: I only plant 2-4 seeds of each variety, so all the ones that have worked, and the ones that haven't, are all together in the same temp and moisture as they all fit in the incubator together.

I've got Douglahs sprouting now Outside - 12 > 23 C temps & kept in moist standard seedraising mix in a plastic tray.

I'm thinking the age of the seed (how long its been out of the pod) has a lot to do with germination. My hunan fingertips told me the seeds i got were maybe a week old

Usually too much, but yes... too little is also a problem. for those that overdo it, they usually germinate only after they've given up and stopped moisturizing it. :lol:

Usually too much, but yes... too little is also a problem. for those that overdo it, they usually germinate only after they've given up and stopped moisturizing it. :lol:
I'll bear than in mind, maybe that's why higher temps work, they dry out more if they were too wet.

I've got Douglahs sprouting now Outside - 12 > 23 C temps & kept in moist standard seedraising mix in a plastic tray.

I'm thinking the age of the seed (how long its been out of the pod) has a lot to do with germination. My hunan fingertips told me the seeds i got were maybe a week old
Best germination rate is with fresh seeds out of the pod.

Well after increasing my temps to try to get some hard to germinate seeds to pop from. 28c to 30 range to 31-33c range within 2 days I got a bohamian goat sprout to pop its head up after over 35 days trying.

Back