• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Wintering???

I am very amazed at my Giant Habaneros and Bhut Jolokia plants that I want to winter a few of them over!!! How do I do this?? I must get a new camera or borrow one so I can show the size of these babbies!!!! Unreal!!!!!

Dyce51 said:
I am very amazed at my Giant Habaneros and Bhut Jolokia plants that I want to winter a few of them over!!! How do I do this?? I must get a new camera or borrow one so I can show the size of these babbies!!!! Unreal!!!!!

You can either:

Prune the plant down to a small stub and cut back the roots, then pot down to a smaller pot and keep it in a cool area with low light.

Bring it indoors as is and place it by a window with enough light to sustain it.

Keep it growing in a heated greenhouse and harvest pods all winter.

You CAN'T bring it in without serious vegetative pruning.

UNLESS.....you move to Trinidad and keep it in a sunny window OR....

Buy a $2000 light system to sustain 1 plant.

Prune all stems to just below leaf nodes.

Put it under lights, pinch flowers like crazy, pray.

cheezydemon said:
You CAN'T bring it in without serious vegetative pruning.

UNLESS.....you move to Trinidad and keep it in a sunny window OR....

Buy a $2000 light system to sustain 1 plant.

Prune all stems to just below leaf nodes.

Put it under lights, pinch flowers like crazy, pray.

Don't tell my second year plants that, they don't know any better. :D

Silver_Surfer said:
Don't tell my second year plants that, they don't know any better. :D

OK! Trinidad OR....The heart of Dixie.

Here in Kentucky, hardly the antarctic, overwintering my GIGANTIC nagas would require incredible expense.

The change in light quality causes the leaves to all drop, and the long 3 foot stems drain the plant of life!

What is your secret? Oh texan?

(:cheers:, all in good spirited discussion, my capsaicin brother!;))

cheezydemon said:

Here in Kentucky, hardly the antarctic, overwintering my GIGANTIC nagas would require incredible expense.

The change in light quality causes the leaves to all drop, and the long 3 foot stems drain the plant of life!

I just wait til mine start losing their leaves in like late January or February or so then cut them back. Then don't water them til about March when they start growing back :lol:

I've had a chile pequin I haven't moved inside once over the past 4 years.

Chiles don't go dormant but I like to prune my plants way back, roots included, and give them low light and heat so that they go sort of semi-dormant until late winter or spring. You really have to keep an eye out for aphids and other insects that have no natural predators indoors during the winter

Txclosetgrower said:
I just wait til mine start losing their leaves in like late January or February or so then cut them back. Then don't water them til about March when they start growing back :lol:

I've had a chile pequin I haven't moved inside once over the past 4 years.

well by January or Feb. we will have had at least a foot of snow......So should I wait till the temps drop, dig them up, replant into containers and bring them inside so they don't freeze????

Dyce51 said:
well by January or Feb. we will have had at least a foot of snow......So should I wait till the temps drop, dig them up, replant into containers and bring them inside so they don't freeze????

I start bringing mine in when the temperature during the night drops under 10C. I have one Peruvian Purple that survived -2C last week. Forgot the little fella, I almost feel obligated to keep it now just because it's such a fighter...

cheezydemon said:

Nothing special, really.
My Red Hab and Naga were placed in a southern bay window and ended up growing some 5ft. + branches back through the window blinds. These long branches were pruned back in the spring when potted up.
The Thai Hot got a poorly lit western window and dropped some leaves over the winter but a very small percentage of the total and was potted up in the spring with no pruning.
The Datil got the short straw and was placed in a bathtub with a high west window and very poor light. It struggled with a heavy infestation of sider mites and when spring finally arrived it was down to bare branches. The short dry tips were pruned and the plant was potted up and the tall branched skeleton sprang back to life pretty quickly.
These four plants were the first and only plants I've ever overwintered. Maybe it was just dumb luck.

cheezydemon said:

Always. :)

BTW, Heart of Dixe = Bama.

Truthfully you don't need to trim them back. I live in Michigan and last year I overwintered 2 Jalapenos by putting them in a semi sunny window for the winter (southern exposure) Had a small battle with aphids, but it wasn't a big deal.

I basically brought them in before the night time temps started dropping into the low 40's. They did great.

This year I bought some lights to help them survive better, they were no where close to 2000. I bought 2 used 400 w metal halide fixtures for 30 each off craigslist. Check it out, I see used ones a lot for 25 - 35 all the time.

Pruning is necessary. Bottom up until it has a canopy.

take a five gallon bucket. Put 6 inches of crushed soda cans in the bottom. On top of that a piece of mesh weed cloth. Then put your plant in and fill it close to the top with the dirt it has grown in all year. The root ball cannot be buried. This will kill it. You still want to mulch it. You will have to water less with mulch.

You can put it in a southern window. This will keep it alive until the next growing season. Remember, most glass will filter some uv light your plants will need. I prefer a 400w MH shop light. The peppers continue to grow throw the winter for me. Nothing beats direct sunlight. Any way you do it be careful when you take them out for the next growing season. The leaves can get sunburned.

I always take some of my pepper plant in. Early fruit for next season.

Well if you were in Trinidad you could leave them outside lol. Who needs sunny windows lol
Im glad I dont have to worry about this wintering business. Sounds like a pain in the arse.

POTAWIE said:
Chiles don't go dormant but I like to prune my plants way back, roots included, and give them low light and heat so that they go sort of semi-dormant until late winter or spring. You really have to keep an eye out for aphids and other insects that have no natural predators indoors during the winter

When you say prune the roots how much are you talking about i thought if you cut the roots on your chilli plant they will die one thing i did do is prune one of my plants right back

I pruned my toots and the plants themselves a while ago now. I cut my roots back to something a little bit bigger than a golf ball or hacky sack.

Back