• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Wintering???

...well the real test for my plants will be coming soon.
We've completed the bridge project here in south Texas and my next assignment will be up on the Illinois/Missouri state line on a lock and dam project on the Mississippi River... just in time for winter.
I've had most of them for 3 years: 2 wild chili pequins that i've always kept outside even in winter (and survived Hurricane Ike), and my 10 largest jolokias... the other 10 i'm giving away to friends.
I haven't seen the apartment the company is putting us up in yet, so hoping for some good windows... first they have to survive a 1200 mile, 2 day trip in the back of a U-Haul.
Wish me luck, but even if they don't survive i do have 2 baggies of seeds to fall back on. :)

I had several pepper plants that got hit with frost, and all the leaves fell off. I put them near a window and they're almost back to where they where this summer. I would say just put it near a window and prune the wilting leaves off.

Sci said:
When you say prune the roots how much are you talking about i thought if you cut the roots on your chilli plant they will die one thing i did do is prune one of my plants right back

You can prune the plant and roots this much which I did as an experiment with a tepin.

Pruned plant:

tepin1.jpg

Same plant later:

crop6827.jpg

I think next season I am going to try that with a few plants just to see how well it works. You know what would be cool is if you could cut them back like that, throw them all in a bag and then leave them untill your ready to plant them the following season. How cool would that be? :D

You can't just throw them in a bag, but you can put them in small pots in a cool place over the winter until you want them to grow

Back