• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wiri Wiri

Going to be growing Guyanese Wiri Wiri in my 2011 season. It is C. chinense and I have never had any experience with it. Can anyone explain its flavor? Does it taste like a typical Chinense? Like a habanero?

is that lisp for piri piri? ............. just kidding, I haven't seen that request before, off to google i go..... thanks for keeping me on my toes.

is that lisp for piri piri? ............. just kidding, I haven't seen that request before, off to google i go..... thanks for keeping me on my toes.
LOL! Kind of like a hair-lipped dog. . . MARF MARF!!! :rofl:

This is what Chileman's database says http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=wiri+wiri&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

here is what g6csy "Wirri-Wirri Very hot. Grows to 1.3 cm. Small berry-like red pepper. (Capsicum frutescens). From Guiana."

those 2 sources were weak, at least g6 got the country right.

here is what g6csy "Wirri-Wirri Very hot. Grows to 1.3 cm. Small berry-like red pepper. (Capsicum frutescens). From Guiana."

That's weird. Everything I've seen so far says that Wiri Wiri is C. chinense. So is it frutescens or chinense??? Now I'm confused :crazy:

here is reimers:
100+ days. Capsicum frutescens. Plant produces good yields of small ½" long by ½" wide berry shaped hot peppers. Peppers grow upright, are very hot, and turn from green, to orange, to red when mature. Plant has green stems, green leaves, and white flowers. A variety from Guyana. Plant Height: 36" tall

pettersononline:
lists it under chinense

dave's garden:
lists it as frutescen

all others searches just mimic either chiliman or reimer.

move over on the confused couch, now i need to sit down.

hey redtail!!

that species sound familiar where did you get the seeds?? LOL

from what i can get it is chinense, and since it tastes like a hab in many respects i think that would also help to id its category not that this matters much,but in some ways tastes better than some habs but i seem to remember seeing it is Chinenseand is related to the habanero however if Burning colon goggled it and its fruitecens than i suppose it is?, it will produce a berry-like fruit anywhere from about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter and is very prolific, the plant is a bush type and doesn't seem to get quite as tall as some Habs and it tends to spread out so give them plenty of room, im told from a Guyanese friend that they put them in pots and they grow very well like that

its actually one of my top favorite

people in Guyana make an awesome hot sauce for everyday use it has mango in it, i tried some of it and its quite good,but i dont know all that goes in it? the sauce is used daily by Guyanese people as a "table sauce" that seems to be used on almost everything
i used my version on Chinese chicken wings and it was incredible!! great on burgers too!!

hope this helps

thanks your friend joe

however if Burning colon goggled it and its fruitecens than i suppose it is

i am not claiming the information i provided is correct, from the resources i found on the big mass of misinformation(the internet) it appears they are tied.

but, what the google information did confirm was that the natives of Guyana make a wicked sauce and its a popular local pepper.

so, the pakistanis have their dundicut, syrians have the aleppo, India has its bhuts, thai have their thai, florida has its datil, jamaica has its scotch bonnet, trinidad has its scorpians, mexican have their habanero and Guyana has its wiri wiri. the list is just the countries that worship their peppers and have a specific use for a certain type. i don't know, was kung pao named after the dish(kung pao chicken) or was the meal named after the pepper?

Well they certainly don't look like habaneros. Of course you'll find out for certain what they taste like and let the rest of us know. :)

What Guyana ? French Guyana ? Dutch Guyana (Suriname) ?

the most famous Surinamese pep is the Madame Jeanette , a cousin of the habanero.

the most famous Surinamese pep is the Madame Jeanette , a cousin of the habanero.

FRENCH GUYANA SOUTH AMERICAN, ITS WHERE MY FRIENDS ARE FROM AND HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO TRY THERE SAUCE LAST YEAR

IT WAS WONDERFUL
MA WIRI WIRI TASTE LIKE A HABANERO

thanks your friend joe

FRENCH GUYANA SOUTH AMERICAN, ITS WHERE MY FRIENDS ARE FROM AND HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO TRY THERE SAUCE LAST YEAR

IT WAS WONDERFUL
MA WIRI WIRI TASTE LIKE A HABANERO

thanks your friend joe

French Guyana and Suriname are neighboring countries, so I would assume we might be talking about a very similar, if not the same pepper.

With Suriname being a former Dutch colony we get a LOT of Madame Jeanettes here. They are a bit pointy.

The Surinamese Ajoema is very similar to a habanero indeed, pod shape, flavor and heat wise.
I have never heard of wiri wiri, but it may come from "piri-piri" which is Portuguese, which so happens to be the language spoken in another neighbor of both countries, namely Brazil.

Greets from the Netherlands

2919032746_b357a3205d.jpg

There is only one Guyana with a "y" and that is Guyana (formerly British Guiana).
There is French Guiana and there is Suriname (formerly Dutch Guiana).

Since I lost my hard drive I don't have the links but there are 2 different peppers called Wiri Wiri.
One from Gayana and one from somewhere else-i forget where.
One is a Frutescens and the other is a Chinense.
One has smooth round pods the other has a ridged pod.Both shaped pods are similar in size.

Since I have seeds for both maybe I'll have to grow them side by side to see plant differences.

I think I might still have seeds for each,maybe a dry pod for the Chinense,I'd have to check.
If I do I'll post a pic.

PICT2115.jpg

PICT2114.jpg

I hope to have a few of these plants this year myself - I wanted these seeds because of everyone saying how good they are I hope they up to it.

Back