• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

wk's 2008 chilli pepper corner

hi talas,

simojovel de allende, capital of the municipio, is 660m above mean sea level. have checked out the map and have a mountain range with peaks up to 2000-2500m. turns out i am also growing the guatemalan coban chilli this year, rather similar plants.

found these pics in the local administration web pages.

map07081.jpg
bienvenida.jpg

wow thank you whitekoohii thats fantastic information..i have my uncles old house in wales u.k which is about 1,800 feet and have been growing rocotto canario,orange,malagueta,goats weed and a couple of other plants to test for hardiness in mountain conditions wind,rain,cold etc only the pubescens are doing ok at the moment..although the wind is testing them.so any other chilis that are true mountain species that can stand our wet,windy cool conditions is a real plus point :)..thank you again.

6 moths into the season and it is time for a quick recap. out of 37 chilli plants, almost all bar 3 have already flowered with over half of them having set (at least) some pods. 3 varieties have already matured, namely the buena mulata (delicious!), putaparió and poblano. as usual, pubescens (no pods yet) and chinenses (a bunch of pods) are the slow performers. daily temps are consistently above the 30Cs and night temps in the low 20Cs. so far so good. cannot help but showing a couple of recent flowers off, a bolivian quintisho (chinense, thanks go to silbante for the seeds) and a peruvian chinchi uchu (baccatum).

quintishoflower.jpg

chinchiuchuflower.jpg

this birgit's locoto bush (or small tree, rather) is up to 2m tall and is full of ripening pods. i have searched info about the bolivian variety to no avail, so it remains a mystery who birgit is and why they are called locotos (term normally used for capsicum pubescens in bolivia) while the variety is a baccatum... fruits mature from light green to orange then red, they are fruity and mildly spicy, very good for eating raw or spicing up cooking.

birgitslocotobush.jpg

andres said:
Welcome! I see you are growing Cobaneros and Diente de Perro. You will absolutely love the Cobaneros. They taste like no other chile IMO. Welcome to the forum!!

Hiya Andres buddy can you describe the taste and heat my friend? :)

Back