• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

World Yawn-er, Cup

EliteMcScruffin said:
What I didn't expect was for Argentina to attack like they did, so good on them for coming out and taking the game to Germany early on.  That made it into a much better match than watching the proverbial bus parked.
You must have seen a different match than I did. Argentina used classic "defend and counter" techniques. There is no way they could have held out the German attack for 115 minutes without playing 10 men behind the ball for most of the match.

The strategy for most of the match was, defend, gain possession, pass to Messi/Higuain. Not taking anything away from those tactics - that's usually what's needed to beat a superior team. But they most certainly DID park the bus...

While the latter parts of the match I would say lean more to that style, there was a lot of back and forth in the first half.  Germany definitely won possession, but the game still had openness to it.  The one thing that's for sure is that it absolutely was not as bad as a number of matches I've seen in the last year (and beyond).

Here's a link to some match statistics with heat maps for all of the players:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/matchzone/index.html#s2013-c4-m731830

I am a little fuzzy (lots of vodka) but to me they didn't have 10 men consistently behind the ball in their final third which those heat maps show.  That said, they did have to do a lot of defending but it wasn't out and out parking the bus for the majority of the time.

solid7 said:
I try not to hold it against them - I know they don't know any better.
It's because it's exciting and action packed. Soccer is slow and can be real slow.
I played full back in high school and it's fun to play but boring to watch for many.
I don't watch baseball or soccer for that reason. I doze off. :rofl:

As someone who enjoys soccer (a.k.a. football) AND American football, I can honestly say that soccer is the faster and much more entertaining game.

Now don't get me wrong.  I still love watching the NFL, especially when my Seahawks are on.  I am completely captivated by it when there is action on the field.  But the biggest problem with football, in my opinion, is all of the damn breaks for TV commercials.  Getting bombarded with advertisements for products I don't really use does hinder my enjoyment of the game a great deal.  I still watch, of course.  But I much prefer the lack of commercials in my face when I'm watching soccer.

I also prefer the constant movement of the game, which just doesn't happen in the NFL.  When it comes to American football, the vast majority of the time you're sitting there waiting for the next play to happen.  During the course of the game there is more dead time than actual action on the field.

JuanHubero said:
But the biggest problem with football, in my opinion, is all of the damn breaks for TV commercials.  Getting bombarded with advertisements for products I don't really use does hinder my enjoyment of the game a great deal.  I still watch, of course.  But I much prefer the lack of commercials in my face when I'm watching soccer.

I also prefer the constant movement of the game, which just doesn't happen in the NFL.  When it comes to American football, the vast majority of the time you're sitting there waiting for the next play to happen.  During the course of the game there is more dead time than actual action on the field.

^^^ This

I don't mind watching American football from time to time, but the commercials (and time outs) really turn me off to it so that I can't bring myself to waste 3 hours plus for a single game over the weekend.  The thing that really kills me is that the last 2 minutes of the game take 30 minutes to play due to all the time outs and other methods of stopping the clock.

Just a few more weeks until the next seasons in the big football (see: soccer) leagues start... can't wait!

Oh yeah, and wtf on that GIANT kit deal from Adidas for Man U?  Waaaaaay too much money from the perspective of a non Man U fan, but I'm sure all of their fans are jumping for joy.  I remember reading about it last year but nothing was official until this week.

EliteMcScruffin said:

Oh yeah, and wtf on that GIANT kit deal from Adidas for Man U?  Waaaaaay too much money from the perspective of a non Man U fan, but I'm sure all of their fans are jumping for joy.  I remember reading about it last year but nothing was official until this week.

After that disastrous last campaign, I would consider it the equivalent of a "bail out".  Regardless of their leagues standing, they are the second biggest selling brand in football, (note - that's WORLD, not just EPL) in terms of sales and marketing, and that's not a market that anyone is keen to lose.  Chelsea and Real Madrid performed last season, so there's no reason to have to keep them afloat - although I suspect that they'll be keen to hold talks over their respective deals, so as to question the disparity.  Don't be surprised to see a clarification, or new deals to existing sponsored clubs.

Well that on top of the deal with Chevy to have their logo on the front will, starting next year, net them over £100 million per year (Chevy will pay out £44.75 million in the 2014-2015 season, rising 2.1% each year for the 7 year sponsorship) for the next 7 years from those two sponsorship deals alone.  That's silly money.  LvG knew what he was getting when he agreed to take over Man United.  IIRC they are the 3rd most valuable sports team in the world at around $2.8 billion.  These two sponsorships could push them to be the most valuable and it sickens me.  Man U is the only team in the EPL I truly enjoy watching suffer so this does no good to my cause!

I read that Chevy was so upset about the deal they forced the Chief Marketing Officer to resign because he "failed to meet the expectations the company has of its employees."  He was the one who was working the deal with Manchester United.

That should tell you how insane the sponsorship deal is.

JuanHubero said:
As someone who enjoys soccer (a.k.a. football) AND American football, I can honestly say that soccer is the faster and much more entertaining game.

Now don't get me wrong.  I still love watching the NFL, especially when my Seahawks are on.  I am completely captivated by it when there is action on the field.  But the biggest problem with football, in my opinion, is all of the damn breaks for TV commercials.  Getting bombarded with advertisements for products I don't really use does hinder my enjoyment of the game a great deal.  I still watch, of course.  But I much prefer the lack of commercials in my face when I'm watching soccer.

I also prefer the constant movement of the game, which just doesn't happen in the NFL.  When it comes to American football, the vast majority of the time you're sitting there waiting for the next play to happen.

I actually clocked it one time. I watched an entire "football" game with MiPad's stopwatch going. I counted the actual playing time between the snap and the end of the play. At the end of the game, each quarter averaged about 4:30. That's 14 minutes of actual playing time in a "3 hour game". YAAAWN. Not to mention, American "foot"ball is a game played 99% with hands, not feet. I still watch tho, because CJ is a diehard Saints/Seahawks fan but, I am usually doing other things. Like sleeping. :rofl: It was cool to see the Seahawks win the Superbowl, finally.

To each his own.

Soccer is not big here because it's "boring, slow and scoreless". I see it differently, it's a graceful game with a warrior spirit to try and just get the ball in the net. The trend lately (over the last 20 years I reckon) of this "play acting" bullshit is a disgrace to the sport. They never used to do that falling down looking for the ref. BS... Case in point, the final match. Germany played the entire tourny like gentlemen while Argentina played like a bunch of children. who won? Germany thank god. Until there is more of that tho, and each goal is worth 13 points, USA will never appreciate Soccer the way the rest of the world enjoys a sport that has been around for a thousand years.

mx5inpa said:
All basketball needs is goalies who can only use their feet and you have opposite soccer.

<crickets>

EliteMcScruffin said:
Well that on top of the deal with Chevy to have their logo on the front will, starting next year, net them over £100 million per year (Chevy will pay out £44.75 million in the 2014-2015 season, rising 2.1% each year for the 7 year sponsorship) for the next 7 years from those two sponsorship deals alone.  That's silly money.  LvG knew what he was getting when he agreed to take over Man United.  IIRC they are the 3rd most valuable sports team in the world at around $2.8 billion.  These two sponsorships could push them to be the most valuable and it sickens me.  Man U is the only team in the EPL I truly enjoy watching suffer so this does no good to my cause!

EPL has been invaded by good businessmen.  Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad.  I dunno.  The league has to compete, or they'll be left behind - much like English football players, in the wake of glory seeking foreigners.

Back