• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

World's Hottest habanero? What is this?

Seen a couple other posts similar to mine here lately but one plant I have is a Bonnie plant from Lowes and was labeled "world's Hottest" habanero, I didn't take a picture of the plant but will do so but here is an almost ripe pod I pulled, what is this, I don't think it is a habanero?

IMG_20120711_200755.jpg

I'd pop it in your mouth and name it the first swear word that comes out of your mouth.

But seriously, I think we need to put a name to a pepper. For one, I love all of the cool names out there. There are so many hybrids out there, the only real way to tell what something is, is through DNA testing I would think. Even the peppers in the wild are crosses and then someone finds it, gives it a number amd even after they find it's origin, they give it a name. I mean we've got to call it something and calling it a C. Chinense is broad and really doesn't help identify who it is in the family of C. Chinese. That would be compared to wanting to know who I am and being satisfied with only knowing that I'm an american and leaving it at that. Sometimes peppers become orphanes of their family and you have to give it a name until Heraldo Rivera is on the scene and finds it's true parent.

He doesn't even know if its stable.
Heres what often happens from my experience: Someone gets a strange pod shape. gives it a name and then trades/gives away seeds. The next year all the plants grow differently because they were hybrids and now f2 plants. Now there is a fancy name for an infinite number of totally different plants, and chile taxonomy is further eroded. I personally like to wait till about the f8 generation before I really name my crosses
Even if the plant is stable, guessing at a name or making up a fancy name is not right either since it would likely have a name already which is why I'd check with Lowes or their suppliers

I think we're getting too technical here guys, I was just looking for an ID and am not trying to rename anything, this thing has to have a name whether it's a hybrid or something else and as I said earlier it really doesn't matter that much what it's called it's just a little mystery that I was trying to solve and still am and now I think I'm getting closer to the answer and that it is most likely a bhut jolokia.

After doing some research I found someone here who had the same plant from Bonnie a couple of years ago and that Bonnie said they were considering selling bhuts in the future, now is the future and I suppose this is a bhut and they are just calling them world's hottet habanero. I contacted Bonnie in Alabama and the lady that answered said everyone was off on Fridays and to call back on Monday so I will do so and report back.

I saw these today at HomeDepot, almost got them. The picture on the ID tag looked just like the one the op took. Yellow and pointed, I may go back tonight

Also it is worth mentioning that they had Bonnie Habs there to just labled "Habanero" so these are clearly different from those.

I looked at there website
http://bonnieplants....etables/peppers
and nothing... I do believe they will be eventually though, because there are labeled "worlds hottest pepper" and I wager that becomes popular.

If anyone feels like finding out for sure, here is the link to email bonnie.
Im sure they would be glad to help because if they get a good reputation for those they will get a nice little spike in sales.

now that I have them, I care enough to do it my self
http://bonnieplants....stomer-service/

FK it I'm going to HD to take a pic right now. BRB with pics

So they where 1.68 for 4! not a bad deal at all.
pics:
CIMG0468.jpg

CIMG0470.jpg

CIMG0469.jpg

Well I emailed Bonnie plants and they got this response:
"Thank you for contacting Bonnie Plants. Unfortunately mislabeling does happen occasionally. Bonnie Plants doesn’t carry Bhut Jolokia (Ghost) peppers, but that doesn’t mean that the local grower who grows peppers for your area doesn’t, so a mixup may have occurred at that level. It does look like a Bhut Jolokia pepper.

Please let me know if you need additional information.
Happy Gardening and thank you for contacting Bonnie Plants,
William Sherrer
ACES for Bonnie Plants"

Also I called the local Alabama Bonnie plant number and they assured me they didn't grow Bhuts bhut the supplier for my area was in Athens so they couldn't be sure but he basically said that it had to be a habanero so who knows what the heck this thing is, I tried one yesterday and I can handle hot even habanero hot but this thing was off the radar, exxxxtremely hot.

No offense but I think bonnie has a distorted heat tolerance LOL if she thinks THE HABANERO is the world hottest pepper? I dont think its a new pepper just false advertisement on behalf of all us that know better I think in the category of average supermarket,lowe's,home depot,ect the habenero is the hottest !!!!

Both Home Depot and Lowes here in NC had "Bonnies Worlds Hottest Hab" plants this season.
A generous THP member sent me several varieties of seeds to start me as a superhot NOOB. .
They were harvested from Bonnies Red Habs and were said to be superhot.
The two plants I am growing look quite different from each other in leaf color and size
but the pods look like a cross ? I'm eager to taste them.
7559175916_1bba39b4d1_z.jpg

Oh dang those look nothing like the ones here?you get those from Lowes-Home Dpot?Totally dif habs on the east coast I'm guessing them ...................PLEASE FORGIVE ME THEN IT APPEARS I MISSPOKE.
Sincerely,
SMITTY

Oh dang those look nothing like the ones here?you get those from Lowes-Home Dpot?Totally dif habs on the east coast I'm guessing them ...................PLEASE FORGIVE ME THEN IT APPEARS I MISSPOKE.
Sincerely,
SMITTY
Smitty :shame: You didn't misspeak! :oops: I confused you. The picture I posted is a pod growing from seeds harvested by another member. He took them from Bonnie plants he grew that were tagged "world's Hottest"Habanero He said his pods were red and very hot. His seeds may have been crosses ?? That is the risk (and the fun) of sharing seeds. I'll be sharing seeds this fall but they will all be open pollinated :?: :eek:
-----------------------
My comment on HD & Lowes garden centers selling Bonnies "World's Hottest" in NC was from my observations. The ID tags were exactly the same as in Cyannemist's picture but the plants looked much different. I did not buy any.
(But I am always snooping around looking for unusual plants.....our 4 yr old grand daughter gets a kick watching the Chilly Chilis and the Cowhorn pods growing)

Smitty :shame: You didn't misspeak! :oops: I confused you. The picture I posted is a pod growing from seeds harvested by another member. He took them from Bonnie plants he grew that were tagged "world's Hottest"Habanero He said his pods were red and very hot. His seeds may have been crosses ?? That is the risk (and the fun) of sharing seeds. I'll be sharing seeds this fall but they will all be open pollinated :?: :eek:
-----------------------
My comment on HD & Lowes garden centers selling Bonnies "World's Hottest" in NC was from my observations. The ID tags were exactly the same as in Cyannemist's picture but the plants looked much different. I did not buy any.
(But I am always snooping around looking for unusual plants.....our 4 yr old grand daughter gets a kick watching the Chilly Chilis and the Cowhorn pods growing)
Ok then yeh cause dident look like any habanero that I've seen before but move on this fall? You think I can get in on some of those seeds?

No offense but I think bonnie has a distorted heat tolerance LOL if she thinks THE HABANERO is the world hottest pepper? I dont think its a new pepper just false advertisement on behalf of all us that know better I think in the category of average supermarket,lowe's,home depot,ect the habenero is the hottest !!!!
I don't think they were labeling it as the hottest pepper in the world. I think the were labeling that particular strain of habanero as the hottest hab in the world...

But I'd like to know what that is. My local Lowe's had a pretty great pepper selection this year, but nothing strange like this.

I don't think they were labeling it as the hottest pepper in the world. I think the were labeling that particular strain of habanero as the hottest hab in the world...

But I'd like to know what that is. My local Lowe's had a pretty great pepper selection this year, but nothing strange like this.
yah me too I would like to get some seeds to grow some myself

Back