• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"World's Hottest"

Went the local HD today to pick up some cypress mulch and as always I take look at the peppers they have in those little bonnie peat containers, I saw one that I never saw before .. its name was simply "Worlds Hottest" description had it as a C.Chinense and said 10 times hotter then a jalapeno... wtf 10x? thats it seriously? I mean even if your generous and give the average supermarket jalapeno a rating of say 25,000shu when more likely its gonna be be in the 5k to 15k range although Ive had some that I swear were hotter then 50k but that was rare and it only happend twice to me so 10x hotter would put it at about 150,000 - 250,000, and they have the nerve to call it worlds hottest i think they should have just called it scotch bonnet lol,
has anyone else seen this one ?

-Rich

Is it the "Chef Jeff" worlds hottest? I found that a few years ago at a nursery and it turned out to be a Carribean Red Hab.

doesnt say chef jeff, it just says "World's Hottest" and its being sold by Bonnie but theres not mention of it on their website imagine that, but I know it had the bonnie peat pot and the yelow plastic bonnie wrapper ring on it when I saw it at HD

I saw that the last couple times I've been to HD. It was a Hab of some sort. I passed on the "Worlds Hottest". Bonnie's world maybe.

Mike

capsidadburn said:
I saw that the last couple times I've been to HD. It was a Hab of some sort. I passed on the "Worlds Hottest". Bonnie's world maybe.

Mike

They're run of the mill orange habs.

Having grown the "worlds hottest pepper" from bonnie plants, I can tell you that they are definitely just orange habs. Which to some people are the hottest pepper in the world, we of course know better.

WickedMojo said:
Went the local HD today to pick up some cypress mulch and as always I take look at the peppers they have in those little bonnie peat containers, I saw one that I never saw before .. its name was simply "Worlds Hottest" description had it as a C.Chinense and said 10 times hotter then a jalapeno... wtf 10x? thats it seriously? I mean even if your generous and give the average supermarket jalapeno a rating of say 25,000shu when more likely its gonna be be in the 5k to 15k range although Ive had some that I swear were hotter then 50k but that was rare and it only happend twice to me so 10x hotter would put it at about 150,000 - 250,000, and they have the nerve to call it worlds hottest i think they should have just called it scotch bonnet lol,

-Rich
Aren't jalapenos around 3000 scoville?

Matt Berry said:
Having grown the "worlds hottest pepper" from bonnie plants, I can tell you that they are definitely just orange habs. Which to some people are the hottest pepper in the world, we of course know better.

+1

WickedMojo said:

-Rich

Yeah, when I was in florida and bought my Grandma a Orange Hab plant from Home Depot it had "Worlds Hottest Pepper" on the label lol.

My orange hab came with worlds hottest as well :) i think anything thats other than a jalepeno or thai hot gets marketed as 'worlds hottest' in garden centers :)

If i found that label i would purchase the plant and grow it, then i would sue their ass for false advertising :D

You mean one of these?

DSC_3068.jpg

(This post might look out of place, but I swear to god that the original unedited thread had something about suing them in =)

One could argue that it is the world's hottest habanero, which in that case, it could be correct depending on definition of habanero and the testing involved.

One would also think that "World's hottest" is just like "World's best" and is not misleading or false advertising, and simply advertising.

"The best burgers in Australia" could theoretically be used by every burger shop, and they will not be misleading customers. "The burgers are better" is a registered trademark of Burger King (Hungry Jacks) and is in a different ballpark.

Yup, standard orange habaneros, and they were my main pepper plant for years.
Tasty, fairly productive even in the hands of a newb like me, not a bad plant but the name is deffo cringeworthy.

Still can't believe I don't have a single o-hab in my garden this year, this thread is making me fell all nostalgia like.

Back