Would like to grow Rocoto/Manzano Peppers

After reading about these peppers here, this is one I would like to grow in its various colors.
Am I correct in thinking that Rocoto and Manzano are the same? Just a different name?(Spanish/English)

If you can provide seed, please let me know what you need $, or would like from my teeny trade list.
Also a description of how they grew, and/or a photo of the fruit/plant would be helpful.

I am in Austin TX, and although hot.. still hoping they will grow.

Thank You

Rocoto and Manzano are different peppers. Manzano is more apple shaped, and usually comes in orange. Rocoto is taller, like a tall donut shape, think of a cylinder-shaped balloon, and the usual color is red. I've never seed a yellow one, I'd be interested in those seeds too. I have Red Rocoto seeds and Orange Manzano. What seeds do you have for trade? If you don't have any I'm looking for, I could do a SASBE deal if you send me an envelope. I don't have a ton of them, though, so send me a PM and let me know how many you're looking for, etc. I will see how many I can spare of each.

I have a few different varieties of Manzano and some Red Rocoto. I will have to look when I get home, know for sure I have yellow, orange & red manzano. I could do a SASBE if you like. My manzano and rocoto plants are still small so I can't give you a review on the taste. But they have been growing extremely slow for me.

I took this photo of a pepper I bought from a Mexican market this past weekend.
They had it labeled as a Manzano, though from reading comments on the forum I wonder if it is a Rocoto instead? Posting it in this thread to clarify.

OR... something totally different

manzanoyellow.jpg

Another reason I thought perhaps Rocoto and Manzano's could of been the same was I saw this on the net. They have the two peppers grouped together.
manzanotypesx3cropjpg.jpg

Am I correct in thinking that Rocoto and Manzano are the same? Just a different name?(Spanish/English)
Actually, if you swap Spanish/English for Peruvian/Mexican, you are pretty close to correct! ;)

As I mentioned in your other thread, what many people don't realize is that Manzano/Rocoto/Locoto/etc. are not the names of specific varieties of peppers, but rather are generic names used to refer to an entire species of peppers! (C. Pubs.)

(It would be like if Butch T, Bhut Jolokia, Brainstrain, Red Savina, 7 Pot, Red Fatalii and Naga Morich were all just called "Red Habs!" :rolleyes: )

As the specific generic name used varied by country, which specific generic name one of these type of peppers was called by used to at least give a general indication of where the pepper originated from (in Mexico, "Manzano", in Bolivia, "Locoto", in Peru (and many other places), "Rocoto").

Unfortunately, some incompetent/confused seed vendors started using these words interchangably to refer to these varieties regardless of their country of origin, rendering even this distinction meaningless! :banghead:

A Mexican grocery store might also just label C. Pubs. (regardless of country of origin) with the name most familiar to it's patrons, "Manzanos". You might want to check with the produce manager at the Mexican grocery store you got these from, and see if you can find-out where these actually came from (should be on the box or something).

I am in Austin TX, and although hot.. still hoping they will grow.
Growing C. Pub. peppers here in Texas is somewhat of a challenge. While preferred growing conditions vary by specific variety, as a species, these peppers tend to prefer cooler temps. than other peppers. They also often seem to prefer partial shade rather than direct sunlight.

Depending on the country of origin and specific variety, they can also have extremely long growing seasons. As a result, it is not uncommon to get few or no pods in the first year, you often have to wait until the second year before the plant kicks into gear! (People growing these for the first time often don't realize this, and mistakenly "give up" on trying to grow these if they don't see pods the first year.)

Given our weather here in Texas, you may have better luck growing this species in containers rather than in the ground. This will allow you to adjust the location to the amount of light the plant prefers (again, depends on the specific variety), or to move the plants to someplace cooler when needed if next summer is as crazy as this year was here! It will also allow you to easily move the plant out of the cold during the Winter, something you will need to do if you want to enjoy all of those 2nd year pepper pods! :)

As I posted in your other thread, I am also interested in perhaps trading for some seeds of that small Orange variety you got from the local store! :cool:

@laserguy

THANKS for the very helpful explanation!
Now I need to go back to the other thread and read what ya wrote there.

I have all three colors and my 70 day old starts from planting seed are loaded up with flower buds. Higher temps do not seem to bother at least my yellow strain of them but to much light does so shading would be a good idea.
Here is a pic of one of my plants I just potted up into a gal pot 2 days ago and so far it has not dropped its flowers because of it.
DSC06689.jpg

It has been asked why am I not pinching the flowers off and the simple answer is first I want to see if I can get a pod on it and second I am trying to over winter them and keep them smaller. Bigger growth can come next spring when they go into large grow pots.

@laserguy

THANKS for the very helpful explanation!

You're Welcome, Smiter Q!

Let me know if you have any questions about growing these out here in Texas - I had some 6-year-old Rocoto plants of various kinds growing here for years (before the dang aphids finally did 'em in. :banghead:).

I have all three colors...

That's kinda like saying you've got all 3 colors of superhots! :lol: There are more than 100 varieties of these guys! (Like superhots, they also come in more than 3 colors. :cool:)

Higher temps do not seem to bother at least my yellow strain of them but to much light does so shading would be a good idea.

Living in Washington state, I think you might have a slightly different definition of hot weather than we do here in Texas! :hot:

Given the weather we had been seeing here this past summer, growing even the more heat-tolerant pepper species has been somewhat of a challenge (just ask AJ!), let alone C. pubescens (many of which tend to prefer cooler temps).

Your cooler weather up there in Washington actually has an advantage over us for growing some of these guys!

Smiter Q, here's some more info for ya...

Capsicum pubescens are found growing in perhaps the widest variety of climates out of all of the domesticated pepper species. Some grow in the jungles of Central America. Some grow in cooler mountain climates. Some are aclimated to growing under the shade of a dense rainforest canopy. Some grow high in the Andes Mountains, where the air is thin and the sun's rays strong. Some grow in places that are virtually "seasonless", an endless Springtime, where the day/night temp range is basically the same all year-round.

And as the oldest domesticated species, many of these varieties have had literally thousands of years to acclimate to their own unique growing environments.

(To give you an idea of just how alien a growing environment we are talking about, many of these varieties are found in an area which literally straddles the equator in the highlands of Equador, where the sun rises and sets at the exact same time every single day of the year, in and around the Andes Mountains, with most of those growing at an altitude of between 7,400 to over 11,000 feet!)

Now take one of these guys, and try growing it in a completely different environment (like here in the USA).

Some will not survive this far North of the equator. Some will grow, but not produce. Some will do OK, but only in certain climates. Or above certain altitudes. Many do not tolerate hot climates. But some will. Some only do well in shade. Others prefer direct sun.

Now, if you know the specific variety you are growing, you can adapt your growing conditions to better match its preferred environment. or select a variety whose native climate better matches your own.

But here's the problem - with these peppers, often times you don't know what specific variety it actually is! All you've got is a generic name ("Red Rocoto" could mean nearly any of the red peppers of this species!)

Worse, because many folks (including many seed vendors) mistakenly think these generic names are specific varieties of peppers, they start offering sometimes contradictary growing advice, heat tolerance, sunlight preferences, ripe podage timelines, etc., not realizing that the "Red Rocoto" plant they have may be completely DIFFERENT from the "Red Rocoto" the other guy is growing!

And even if their seeds are from the same source, that particular variety may do well in their climate, but not in yours!

The end result of all of this confusion is that a beginner will follow advice that may or may not match what he's actually growing, or try to grow a variety that does poorly in his local climate (or is a variety with an extended growing season that requires 2 years to produce pods in his climate, and he tosses the plant after only 1! :doh:), and if he fails, gives-up on Rocotos entirely, not realizing he may have just been trying to grow the wrong kind!

People that live in areas with mild climates where these plants are available locally (like Calif.) are at a decided advantage on this front, as a good nursery will track-down & sell varieties that grow well in their local climate.

Getting seeds (and growing advice for that variety) from someone who lives in a similar climate to yours is another good approach.

Otherwise, while there is some general advice that applies to the majority of peppers of this species, often times it is just a matter of "experimenting" to see what a particular variety prefers, and how well it will handle your particular climate.

That last bit is the tricky part for those of us that live here in Texas! ;)

As a result, these can be more of a challenge than some of the other more common peppers grown out here. But don't let that discourage you! This species can take a bit more time/effort to grow, but when it starts producing those unique, delicious peppers, the results are more than worth it! :onfire:

Thanks laserguy for providing all this good info. Last year (my first) I concentrated on Superhots, but now I want to try pubescens. It could be a challenge here in SC. Wayright, if you read this, please give us the benefit of any experience you have in Atlanta. Someone, either Chris Phillips or Dan Lowenstein, sent me seeds and suggested I get advice from you on growing them Down South. Good luck everyone on the 2012 season! Tom

i just got a red manzano tree this saturday at a swapmeet in OC... i was told to shade it under another tree of some sort...

my neighbor/BFF has a yellow manzano (canario) and it's about 3 years old now... it grew shaded by a guava tree... they dropped it for a persimon tree and in the last summer shaded it with a tarp... our high's here in BG was only about... 99°F maybe 102°F for a day or two... they were afraid to lose it from the heat...

now i have been reading different sites (that's how i found this forum ☺) and most of them contradict themselves on light, temp and placement... i guess what laser said was right... everyone's plant might be tolerant for different conditions... so everyone has different kind of experience and what not... that sucks...

so how will i know if it's getting killed by the sun...?

good thing i potted it in a 15G container...

Living in Washington state, I think you might have a slightly different definition of hot weather than we do here in Texas! :hot:

Given the weather we had been seeing here this past summer, growing even the more heat-tolerant pepper species has been somewhat of a challenge (just ask AJ!), let alone C. pubescens (many of which tend to prefer cooler temps).

Your cooler weather up there in Washington actually has an advantage over us for growing some of these guys!

laserguy you are completely right about this but I was referring to my inside grow. No my temps were not even close to the high's of the south but my lows were in the same range. Also my comments on my friends family growing fields in southern Mexico are in the temp ranges of those in the south who live in a semi tropical moist environment. My strain of yellows seems to grow well under florescent lights but moved under a HID lighting the leaves curl under themselves. This is what I was talking about and had meant to come back and explain better. So thanks for the nudge on this. Here is a pic of a pod forming on one of the plants now.
2012-01-04001.jpg

Hello Laserguy ...
I tried to cultivate Pubescens but without success.
I've had the Mini Rocoto, its flavor and texture is like a pear.
Burning of this variety is not very high.

This photo looks like a Rocoto Silk.

They are beautiful plants.

I wish you luck in the cultivation of this species and have a Happy 2012.
A big hug.
Tuca

Old thread I know, but I was reading up on placement of my Manzano peppers once I put them out for the year.  I am guessing that filtered light is the order of the day.  Now if I wanted to put these in containers, what size should I go with?  Both my gardens get pretty much full sun, so I think I am going to have to either filter an area, put them in a container, or put in a raised bed.

Back