• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Wow, got a good workout in today....

Transplanted, by myself, a 6.5 foot tall black krim tomato from a 20 gallon container to a 30 gallon container. Took me a good while, and it thoroughly sucked. Somehow I managed to get it done with only slightly damaging the root ball, maybe 5% of it. If anyone else needs to do this, I found that using garbage bags as root ball "turnicates" helps a lot. Also, two hands on the plant at all times. Almost snapped it at one point.

Afterwards, I addressed the almost weekly Alabama severe storms that were producing up to 60 mph wind gusts. I hammered in some 24 inch rebar ground spikes around the mater containers, and secured the plants to the spikes by running galvanized wire from the ground spikes to the cages. I'd like to see the wind try to uproot my plants now.

Needless to say, I was covered in dirt and drenched in sweat. My neighbor had a good laugh when he saw me.

And, if the property manager tries to make me move the plants now, I might ask that he help me. That oughtta do the trick.

You and me both. Moved about 90 pots to a more shaded area, watered and fed all of them (they were bone dry and looked half dead :o ), watered and fed the in ground plants, staked up some tomatillos, and mowed the yard all in 96 degree heat. :D Right after I got back from the gym. I think I sweated out about 2 gallons of water. I hope my plants don't get salt burn from me sweating all over them. :eek: Gardening is hard work! Next year I think I'm going to put as many in the ground as possible. A lot less work when they're in the ground, and most of the plants in the 6 gallon pots are root bound already. The roots are growing out the holes in the bottom and into the ground. I kept hearing ripping sounds every time I picked up a pot. :eek:

Did you have to get rid of any of the plants?

gee, im all out of breathe by the time i walk up the steps to my apt. guess ill stick to growing peppers in a container.

Back