• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Wpaytons weekly cooking show

Hey guys I haven't been on in awhile and To make up for my lack of not being here-ness I will be putting up a recipe each week that will include a pepper spotlight. I have to get ready for work now so look for the first one later tonight.

This weeks pepper spotlight!!!

Capsicum Annuum - "Thai birds eye"
Scoville rating: 100,000-175,000

This small but powerful chili seldom grows larger than 1-3 inches in length. it is a thin elongated green or red chili with a pointed end. Thin-fleshed with many seeds, it has a fierce heat. Grown in Thailand, Asia, and California, they are ideal for stir-fries and Asian dishes, when they are often mixed with the hot oil. These Chilies are the subject of a Thai proverb pointing out the unexpected power of something so small.

Flavor: potent, fiery
Heat: very hot
Plant height: 36 in. (90 cm)
Fruit color at maturity: red
Fruit shape: curvy, pointed tip
Fruit length: 1-3 in. (2.5-7.6cm)
Fruit width: 1.3cm
Fruit surface: smooth
Alternatives: jalapeno

This weeks recipe is..

COCONUT SOUP INFUSED WITH LEMONGRASS

Ingredients:
2 pints chicken stock
4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
3 stalks lemongrass, sliced thinly (use hearts only)
4 oz galangal, sliced thinly
4 oz enoki mushrooms
2 shallots, sliced thinly
3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
large bunch cilantro, chopped coarsely
1 tbsp birds eye chilies, chopped
4 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp sugar
4 tbsp coconut milk

1. In a pan, bring the stock to a boil. Add chicken breasts and poach 3-5 minutes. remove the chicken breasts from stock, cut into cubes and set aside
2. Put all the remaining ingredients into the stock and boil for about 10 minutes
3. Add the chicken to the stock and turn heat to low, simmering for about 3 minutes. Remove the kaffir lime leaves and galangal pieces before serving.
4. Enjoy!

SERVES 4

I find boiling for extended times will drive off a lot of the scent of lemon grass. Have you tried slicing it very thin then gently heating in oil. It draws out a lot of flavour and can add a slight sweetness from the caremelisation of the sugars. I tend towards cuts of meat with the bone in and cooking over a low heat for up to an hour for these sorts of flavours to really develop.

Other than that looks good.

I find boiling for extended times will drive off a lot of the scent of lemon grass. Have you tried slicing it very thin then gently heating in oil. It draws out a lot of flavour and can add a slight sweetness from the caremelisation of the sugars. I tend towards cuts of meat with the bone in and cooking over a low heat for up to an hour for these sorts of flavours to really develop.

Other than that looks good.
That is a wonderful idea. I will have to try that

Will try to add photo's as for beer I suggest Budweiser's new American ale... has a phenomenal taste and a beautiful finish. Or my favorite Harp Lager.

Back